Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411499 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:31:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What are you programming RIGHT NOW?
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 71
Print
Author Topic: What are you programming RIGHT NOW?  (Read 210122 times)
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 14, 2013, 08:11:39 PM »

I'm starting to write my own engine in java using LWJGL for drawing. Things are kind of coming along. I'm taking my time and learning a ton along the way. I'm having trouble writing a good game state manager with easy state switching and also having trouble having certain object know about each other. I've also decided as I go along I'm gonna build simple games using the engine to test how streamlined the process is and add features when necessary. I'm starting with pong and I'm having trouble figuring out a nicely laid out way for the enemy paddle to follow the ball. I'll have to look and see how other engines do it.
tnr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 15, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »

I got sick of pixel art programs never having all of the features that I want. Thus I've set out on an epic quest to teach myself C++ and make a pixel art program that has all of the features I want. Me, the guy without any programming experience whatsoever. Currently I'm just trying to make the most basic of paint programs. It is going very, very slowly.
indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 15, 2013, 07:44:17 PM »

Working on screen navigation in a platformer game + adding some transition effects

Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #923 on: April 15, 2013, 08:55:50 PM »

Finally decided to program a procedurally generated 3D voxel based overworld map for my 2D platformer world

The building voxels look terrible though (The grey things with lue specs are supposedto represent buildings)

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #924 on: April 15, 2013, 08:59:55 PM »

I got sick of pixel art programs never having all of the features that I want. Thus I've set out on an epic quest to teach myself C++ and make a pixel art program that has all of the features I want. Me, the guy without any programming experience whatsoever. Currently I'm just trying to make the most basic of paint programs. It is going very, very slowly.

I wasted 5 years of my life trying to do something like that. After I realized it was a dead end and gave up, I spent some time with GIMP and read its documentation more thoroughly, and it turned out that it did pretty much everything I wanted after all. Get to know your tools before you decide they're not good enough for you!

ink.inc
« Reply #925 on: April 15, 2013, 09:28:27 PM »

try getting better at pixel art before blaming the program; gimp, ggale and photoshop are all used by the best dudes in the pixel art scene without much complaint
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #926 on: April 16, 2013, 09:53:42 AM »

JS seems like fun. I'm already imagining all the things I could do with this... One of those times I wish I had my own small server box in the closet to be able to properly tinker with all this interesting stuff.

Just do what I did. Grab a few old PC boxes, Frankenstein them together, and install Ubuntu on the results. (or whatever flavor of Linux you prefer, it's up to you) From there it's fairly easy to set up your own Apache installation, throw in Bind9 for DNS, and a little subversion for source control. Congratulations, you now have your own development box. You can just keep it plugged into your router and let it run.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 16, 2013, 10:18:07 AM »

Finally decided to program a procedurally generated 3D voxel based overworld map for my 2D platformer world

The building voxels look terrible though (The grey things with lue specs are supposedto represent buildings)

ooh i like how that bird eye is 3d very subtle
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 16, 2013, 11:35:39 AM »

HTML5 isometric tests. Got a grid to display & a basic camera. Also a nice tooltip to display within javascript (actually I'm using coffeescript) - mouseToolTip.display("html <b>here</b>").

Crunchy.

tnr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 16, 2013, 04:01:19 PM »

try getting better at pixel art before blaming the program; gimp, ggale and photoshop are all used by the best dudes in the pixel art scene without much complaint
I wasted 5 years of my life trying to do something like that. After I realized it was a dead end and gave up, I spent some time with GIMP and read its documentation more thoroughly, and it turned out that it did pretty much everything I wanted after all. Get to know your tools before you decide they're not good enough for you!

I didn't actually decide that the tools weren't good enough for me. The ones I use right now are PyxelEdit for tiles and the GIMP for animations (D-Pixel would replace GIMP if the animation and layer features were in there), and I like them both. There are a few reasons beyond the ones that I listed beforehand.
  • I've always wanted to be able to program, and more specifically to program something like this.
  • I've always wanted to make something that people can actually use to create art.
  • Within the next couple of terms I am likely to take C++ courses, and I'd like to put myself a step ahead of the class.
Besides that, I'd really just like to have a pixel art program that combines features from a few of my favorite ones, and doesn't do anything else than pixel art. And the fact that it is likely to take a long time does not really matter to me.

What matters is that I'm actually making something, that I'm dedicating myself to it. That I'm making something that just might get out there. How long it actually takes doesn't really matter to me.

Also about that sprite... I was really happy with how it turned out initially, because I made it in a short period of time without any planning ahead of time. But now... it just sort of looks like they're dancing. Badly. With some random pixel movement. And the limbs stretch. And their expression is soulless.

Yeah... I'm going to have to take a second try at that one.
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #930 on: April 16, 2013, 08:31:17 PM »

Back in the day I learned a lot of BASIC programming skills writing pixel art programs for the Sinclair QL, when there really weren't any tools. I think if you're enjoying making a tool you should go it - it can be a better idea than making a game since your goals for an app are easier to focus. Especially if you're using it at the same time Smiley

I must admit I stopped when DPaint became available, but it was useful experience that fed into level editors and things later.

Currently programming: Switching my cave generator from creating walls with marching squares to working directly from the path network rep.

Will
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 16, 2013, 10:54:40 PM »

I found toolmaking very non-productive but fun.
The problem I have with my own tools and using them is that at every moment I think mmmhhh, yes, ... perhabs I could add X.   

then I decide "No more side quests, just use this tool already! " which works for a few hours, then I suddenly find myself deep in the source code adding feature Y.

where if I use a tool made by someone else.
I never have those urges.
And just get on with it and finish stuff.
Moromis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #932 on: April 16, 2013, 11:07:32 PM »

JS seems like fun. I'm already imagining all the things I could do with this... One of those times I wish I had my own small server box in the closet to be able to properly tinker with all this interesting stuff.

This, basically? http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/

You can run quite the variety of different server software. Or do I not understand what you're getting at here?

Live 3-6 PST

Mai sounds

Mai arts
Sir Wolf
Level 0

A wolf cub growing up

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 17, 2013, 12:02:36 AM »

This, basically? http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/

You can run quite the variety of different server software. Or do I not understand what you're getting at here?

Something like that, yeah. The thing is, chances are I'll have use for the service for something useful in the future, I don't want to blow my free trial just for amusing but short-lived experiments. For now, I'll get by with my current setup. Thank you for the link, anyways!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shawn
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #934 on: April 18, 2013, 04:25:58 AM »

Coding a polygon chunk extractor for dynamic destruction of sprites.

Luckily I was able to skip triangulation code because Flash can draw solid concave polygons  Well, hello there!

Working on HeliBrawl
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #935 on: April 18, 2013, 11:42:32 AM »

Calculating the expected player position on the overworld map based on what art of the world the player is in, similar to MetroidVania/Zelda III. This is difficult for a platformer.

Progress is calculated by mapexplored/totalmap

Rotation allowed using input

Map is a grid rendered from a matrix of dimension 25X25X3

It still feels incomplete

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #936 on: April 19, 2013, 04:24:52 PM »

2D or 3D platformer? o.o

Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #937 on: April 19, 2013, 07:54:42 PM »

2D, and that's why it becomes such a jumbled mess of how to determine where the player should be on the overworld map.

I'm trying to use C#'s Dictionary class, but it doesn't let me do anything special with Keys, so I'm moving to the OrderedDictionary class. This way I can just search things by keys, and get indices position from the results.

Still, it's just a nasty mess of matrices and arrays. Hashtables aren't the answer obviously..
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 07:59:43 PM by Galaxy » Logged

xeriku
« Reply #938 on: April 20, 2013, 08:48:30 AM »

Cleaning up AABB collision detection and making my physics feel the way I want them to feel. I'd like to note that this is the cleanest custom implementation of AABB collision detection and response I've ever had. It feels really good!
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #939 on: April 20, 2013, 09:26:13 AM »

Currently making a procedural level generator for our arcade shmup game. Kind of stuck right now, so I might ask for some help later if Google can't help me.

@xeriku, no offense, but your avatar is ridiculously large.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 71
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic