Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1025333 Posts in 41084 Topics- by 32684 Members - Latest Member: ActualiseDesign

July 21, 2014, 11:20:26 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderators: Glaiel-Gamer, ThemsAllTook)What are you programming RIGHT NOW?
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 81
Print
Author Topic: What are you programming RIGHT NOW?  (Read 99448 times)
Aloshi
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: March 21, 2013, 01:32:38 PM »

Trying to implement basic multiplayer.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

If online and not turn-based, you should totally read the Gafferon Games networking articles.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 21, 2013, 02:34:53 PM »

Input examples for the Loom game engine.  It's been kinda fun, may actually use this engine for my own production work in the near future.
George Michaels
Level 0

I like big butts and I can not lie

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 21, 2013, 09:38:49 PM »

If online and not turn-based, you should totally read the Gafferon Games networking articles.

Read those when I was just researching socket-based networking in games, ended up using ENet as a network library. Just got it working and I'm so happy :D

Yeah, that.
bartekci
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #873 on: March 23, 2013, 04:46:21 AM »

Did a bunch of stuff with gamejs  and box2d.

Now it's a big mess and I need to make it into something more re-usable!
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #874 on: March 24, 2013, 01:01:34 AM »

Started doing path finding for my FPS game. Smiley

http://youtu.be/VGe2uCBCFyc

Master of all trades.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #875 on: March 24, 2013, 02:31:34 AM »

the horror  Screamy
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #876 on: March 24, 2013, 01:33:39 PM »

Currently my game don't do much but still occupy the 4 CPU cores and does a lot of locking and oversubscription, which was what I was expecting anyway. Now I'm just fixing this by removing locking (using task queues) and introducing some sleeping when nothing have to be done on some specific threads.

http://www.klaimsden.net | Game : NetRush | Digital Story-Telling Technologies : Art Of Sequence
LizardWizard
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #877 on: March 25, 2013, 07:32:22 AM »

Writing some controllers  for my 4X 2d game based on a spatial vision of the Hawkmoon univers. Today, ships can travel between planets, dock, undock and that the notion of "turn" works.
I can list some of these controllers: DockController, TravelController, DiplomacyController, EconomyController, BattleController.
I enjoy this part of the dev and  watching things like the DockController asking an authorization to the DiplomacyController to perform a docking operation.

I work with Python and Pyglet as opengl framework.
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #878 on: March 26, 2013, 03:14:44 PM »

JSnake: sounds like Chronoton.
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #879 on: March 28, 2013, 04:53:43 AM »

Distilling AS3 utility code from my games back to 2010 to unify in a library.

I always end up wasting time redoing from scratch things like: math (specially working w/angles), algebra, formations, shape rasterization, loading from url, box 2d integration, fast particle system, state machines, entity streaming, cached asset repositories, audio priority manager, audio synth, etc.

And lately I've noticed new code doesn't get better from learned experience, but messier & ugly because I just want to move on to the "make a game" part instead of an engine.
I copy code from other projects, patching it ad-hoc and I never know in which project was the best version for each feature.

Working on HeliBrawl
Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 29, 2013, 08:43:12 AM »

I needed an efficient sorting method to make my collision checks not be O(n^2) so I came up with a tree based sorting algorithm:
(original data set: 51,50,9000,1,60,100,82,80,0,52,51,50,1536,48,8,6558,2,5644,1,45)

Here's the code for it:
code:
Code:
void treesort()
{
int data[20] = {51,50,9000,1,60,100,82,80,0,52,51,50,1536,48,8,6558,2,5644,1,45};
int num_items = 20;
int check=0;
int tmp=0;
int node=0;//current node
int c_node=0;//comparison node
//treeify
for (int i=1; i<num_items;i++){
//enforce rule that parents must be higher value
for (int i2=i+1;i2>1;i2/=2){
check++;
c_node =(i2/2)-1;
node = i2-1;
if (data[node]>data[c_node]){
tmp=data[c_node];data[c_node]=data[node];data[node]=tmp;//swap
}
else {break;}
}
}
//print
printf("tree before sort:\n");
for (int i=0; i<num_items; i++){
printf("%d ",data[i]);
}
printf("\nnumchecks: %d\n",check);
//sort
int last = num_items-1;
for (int i=num_items-1-((num_items-1)&1); i>1; i-=2){
check++;
//if right hand branch then enforce rule that it must be smaller than left hand branch
if (data[i]>data[i-1]){
tmp=data[i-1];data[i-1]=data[i];data[i]=tmp;
}
//then check if next pair is bigger
for (int i2=last;i2>i;i2--){
check++;
//check against current branch lower val, if higher then low val check against current branch higher val
if (data[i]<data[i2]){
check++;
tmp=data[i2];data[i2]=data[i];data[i]=tmp;//swap
if (data[i-1]<data[i]){
tmp=data[i];data[i]=data[i-1];data[i-1]=tmp;//swap
last = i-1;
}
else{last = i;}
}
}
}
//print
printf("sorted values:\n");
for (int i=0; i<num_items; i++){
printf("%d ",data[i]);
}
printf("\nnumchecks: %d\n",check);
}
Didn't research into any specifics regarding current sorting methods, this pretty much came from some mad scribblings and going through it by hand on paper. I did look into how a basic tree structure is made to figure out how I could build a tree without using a data structure with left/right branches, but then I just realized each pair of numbers represents a branch and n/2 moves up and n*2 moves down and it was pretty simple from there. I don't think the order of objects is swapped if they're the same value when they're tree-ified, I may be wrong but it's not really important to me... The complexity in total is O(3(nlogn))? I don't really understand the n*log(n) business or how that comes about but it's definitely not n^2 or linear.

If you can spot any errors or possible optimizations it'd be great if you'd let me know.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 29, 2013, 09:17:48 AM »

If you only need to sort an array of ints then use quicksort. It has O(n*logn) complexity... It's built-in in pretty much any language.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #882 on: March 29, 2013, 10:13:44 AM »

Made my game (if you can call that a game already...) all different cpu cores with equally distributed workload.

Now back to graphic code.

http://www.klaimsden.net | Game : NetRush | Digital Story-Telling Technologies : Art Of Sequence
indietom
Level 2

Tom

View Profile Email
« Reply #883 on: March 29, 2013, 11:26:24 AM »

Testing out sdlbasic because I want to try out something different then c++ just for the fun.

Code::Blocks
This is my profile, there are many like it but this one is mine.
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #884 on: March 29, 2013, 11:49:26 AM »

A little proof of concept demo for a basic FOV algorithm. Interactive Version at JSBin

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 81
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic