Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:20:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)En-garde! [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: En-garde! [FINISHED]  (Read 19920 times)
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 03:28:12 PM »

Hello.

Now there is actual scoring. Well, most of the time, it still needs work. But now it's an actual versus game and in line with the rest of the games in compo.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 10:09:11 PM »

Build 6, the "You got Bulletstormed!" build. The title screen is shocking and the shadows could look better but it's a start.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 09:55:58 PM »

New build. I am aware that swords are difficult to see on this unfinished background and am currently thinking about how to rectify that.
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 11:03:12 PM »

Works well here - I didn't have a problem with seeing the swords but maybe adding a "ting" or shimmer animation to the blades would help?

I think it might be worth adding a faster step, either as an option or replacing the existing step - fencers move pretty fast (think biding time vs. explosive movment) and while the sidling animation is really funny, it seems at odd with the speed of the lunges.

My 2p.

Cheers,

Will
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 02:18:50 AM »

New build. Oh look, background animation! I haven't done a thing with the swords but I think the shadows will work as a good indication of where they are but I still might be able to add an effect onto them if I can stop slacking. It still needs sound but I guess you can just make up your own with your voice. *swish* *ting* *step step step* "You fight like a cow!"
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 04:36:03 PM »

New build. Games speeds are the focus in this version. I've also sent out a call for voice work in the collaboration thread but it can't hurt to repeat myself here.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 06:24:20 PM »

New build. We're getting close to the end now. The next build will be the final version regardless of the condition it's in. There's now voices which explains the jump in file size if you were looking at that and wondering.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 03:27:02 PM »

And that's a wrap.
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2011, 11:41:05 AM »

I like the idea of parrying opponent's thrusts, the duel has very noble feeling in it and requires quite a tactical thinking. Great job! Smiley

tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »

Awesome graphics, animations and sfx (and awesome reference to monkey island)!
I didn't get that 'tactics' feel that goshki was talking about, for us it was more button mashing, and we really didn't get what was going on with the fight itself, but still it was kinda fun.

One thing that I think has to improve is the transition from when a point is given, to when another match begins. It cuts abruptly and then shows some weird black arrows, and kinda ruins all the polish that the rest of the game has...

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 03:26:37 PM »

Oh there is some sort of tactics there though it kinda falls apart due to my game making tools not doing exactly what I tell them to do. But that's the thing with The Games Factory, it decides what it wants to do and then you spend an hour yelling at it before you bend to its whims if you're trying to do something more complex than the shitty built-in game types. It's a great app for making trainwrecks but not for winning competitions.

The black arrows are supposed to be daggers, because both players are fierce rivals who glare death at each other. They just look like black arrows because that's the only colour which would stick out on the background. I probably could have made them bigger so I could colour them more or maybe put an outline around them but I felt that they would have been too big.

I could have done a few things better. Oh well.
tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2011, 03:53:28 PM »

The black arrows are supposed to be daggers, because both players are fierce rivals who glare death at each other.
Ah, that would have been my second guess...

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 01:19:53 AM »

Increpare, Terry Cavanagh, Sophie H and I tried this game for a while. Here's what we thought.

- hard to figure out what was going on
- great graphics
- amazing voice acting
- point system seemed bizarre
- fun despite confusion
- played for a while

twitter: @docky
Makai
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 02:16:54 PM »

I had a lot of fun playing this yesterday with my roommate.

We didn't quite understand how the scoring system works, but I assume it was tracking win-streaks?

Great voice acting and graphics too!
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2011, 04:24:56 PM »

Yeah, it's streaks. The idea is that when you lose another player comes in to take over. Methinks I should have written that text file better.
Makai
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 12:39:44 PM »

Granted we didn't actually read the text file...

In the game's defense it was extremely easy to pick up and figure out how to play!
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2011, 06:25:21 PM »

Damn it I knew I shoulda put in extra keys to control every bone in your character's arm. Back to the drawing board!

:D
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic