Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:37:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 738699 times)
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 04:10:35 PM »

I really don't like code folding or anything that interferes with the text being where i expect it to be. Most editors have a shortcut to jump to a specific line number and that's sufficient to quickly jump around the file most of the time.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 04:45:32 PM »

I like the fact that I can fold away sections of code that don't compile because of pre-processor stuff, like "#if !DEBUG". They're not even included in compilation, so just put them away...

Also Resharper has a File Structure tool similar to Eclipse's Outline and it takes regions into account (that screenshot has a wierd choice of regions, but it gives you an idea), so they're all neatly separated. Makes it a lot more readable.

And using #regions force me to organize my code in coherent blocks.
But hey, whatever works for you. Embarrassed

Zaphos
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 07:38:56 PM »

You know how you make one small mistake in code using the stl, and suddenly the compiler lists 20-some errors all of which point to some header file that's part of the library code and clearly *not* where the error is?

I don't like that.

Angry
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 05:32:54 AM »

I also take umbrage at the terrible error messages related to templates in general. That, and the fact that I can't figure out how to make xcode raise an error when it finds uninitialized variables being used. Almost makes me want to write a helper class just to initialize POD types.

dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 06:37:44 AM »

One of the frequently asked features for my csharp mode for Emacs is code folding. Which is a pain in the ass to figure out in Lisp. *sigh* One of these days...

But, I don't like #region for "public instance methods" ...

If you look at my C# code, you'll see I'll do regions like "Logging", "Sprite Management", "Collection Overrides", etc.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 06:44:36 AM by dmoonfire » Logged
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 07:34:30 AM »

I'd like to see a sort of collapsed view in a different window. Gravious showed me the Code Definition Window or whatever it is in VC++ 2008, that looked nice.

increpare
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 08:46:47 AM »

Xcode support for allegro sucks.

Allegro built-in audio library sucks.

I've little idea how to get the third party allegro audio libraries working in OSX.

I have no idea how to manually toss together .app files, whatever about universal binaries.

Allegro gui stuff sucks.  I really could do with some nice gui stuff now, but it's seeming that it's going to be easier to do everything by hand.

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 10:11:07 AM »

I hate that I can't open a terminal window from SDL  Angry

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 04:01:07 PM »

(eg. if there's a huge friggin' file and I'm sick of scrolling ten pages down every time I open it to get at the one bit I need).
You could just split it into multiple files?

This was when I was working on a massive huge commercial game and I wasn't going to run around reorganizing things lest it all fall apart and burn around me.

Also, it probably wasn't *that* large, I'm just incredibly impatient.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »

One of the frequently asked features for my csharp mode for Emacs is code folding. Which is a pain in the ass to figure out in Lisp. *sigh* One of these days...

Is that even possible in Emacs?  I don't think I've seen code folding in any emacs mode, ever.

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2008, 01:03:25 AM »

my god, at my work they are using that code folding shit and because there is NO documentation about any of the code (and comments are very, vary scarce) and it is a large complex project it is very hard to follow.

now, combine that with the fact that ctrl+f does NOT search within closed fold things.... holy SHIT I am having some trouble! Tired

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2008, 08:17:05 AM »

now, combine that with the fact that ctrl+f does NOT search within closed fold things.... holy SHIT I am having some trouble! Tired

Wait, what?  Are you serious?  What IDE?  That just can't be right, that would be completely friggin' stupid.

godsavant
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2008, 12:41:13 PM »

word[ROOM_OBJECT_DESCRIPTION[items[rooms[houses[house].room[f]].item[g]].description]]   

Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2008, 01:18:27 AM »

Code:
1>Embedding manifest...
1>CVTRES : fatal error CVT1103: cannot read file
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt

That was the only error code VC++ 2005 gave me when building. The solution was completely unrelated to manifests. :D

(eg. if there's a huge friggin' file and I'm sick of scrolling ten pages down every time I open it to get at the one bit I need).
You could just split it into multiple files?

Code folding makes me grumpy, because the need of it makes me realize I have too much code in a single module, that I should redesign.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:22:37 AM by Dim_Yimma_H » Logged

increpare
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2008, 06:29:42 AM »

EXC_BAD_ACCESS
 Cry
Dayv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2008, 07:39:54 AM »

AngryI hate Eclipse.  When I press the big green run button it should be pretty obvious that I want to run the main application and not the last file I edited and it should be pretty obvious that I want a Python Run like I wanted the last 400 times and not a Jython run or any of the other choices.  When I want to do the less obvious things I won't mind going down 7 layers of menus.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2008, 08:15:35 AM »

I thought you meant the forumer Eclipse at first  :D

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2008, 08:26:38 AM »

AngryI hate Eclipse

Sad

........  Cry

(oh, my nickname is not related to Java and\or the Eclipse IDE in any way, is related to Pink Floyd, i use Visual Studio for C\C++\C# and NetBeans for Java)

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Dayv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2008, 08:33:14 AM »

Oops sorry Eclipse  Embarrassed
jonny
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2008, 08:39:31 AM »

Allegro gui stuff sucks.  I really could do with some nice gui stuff now, but it's seeming that it's going to be easier to do everything by hand.

Check out MASkinG.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic