Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:40:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 738236 times)
Nix
« Reply #2100 on: May 11, 2011, 11:34:50 AM »

Then is it really gimbal lock?
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2101 on: May 11, 2011, 01:29:02 PM »

Rewrote my font engine, 20% performance increase on Linux, 0% performance increase on Windows and Mac.

Eh, whatever.

What would John Carmack do?
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2102 on: May 11, 2011, 01:58:54 PM »

What do code-testing jobs pay?
Uhh... game tester, or general software engineering QA?

"Normal" software qa/test engineer is a skilled position and can pay quite well, usually less than a regular software engineer but still usually good pay and sometimes at parity with software eng.

Game tester is a crappy job that pays poorly. Like my understanding from people I've talked to with testing jobs is it pays similar to retail and you are paid by the hour.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
st33d
« Reply #2103 on: May 11, 2011, 02:57:28 PM »

I've talked to a former tester that's now a game designer.

That seems to be how the ladder works. You test the crap out of games then move into design. If you've got proper game design chops then it might be worth the testing slog to prove your worth.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2104 on: May 12, 2011, 12:10:53 AM »

Must... fight... urge... to... write... wav... header... parser... myself

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
PTibz
Level 0

Business Person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2105 on: May 14, 2011, 04:58:56 PM »

Irrlicht doesn't natively support TrueTypeFonts so I had to find an additional library/class to integrate. One thing I would love for an engine to support is to automatically resize GUI stuff based on the initial resolution you set it up for the first time you used them. Yawn

Octodad!
President/Community Manager at Young Horses
Ludophonic
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: May 14, 2011, 10:35:02 PM »

Why do the docs read void OnVoiceProcessingPassEnd(){} when you actually have to write STDMETHOD_(void, OnVoiceProcessingPassEnd)(){} for it to actually compile?

And of course just getting it compiling isn't enough. It would be nice if it also didn't crash deep in the XAudio2 dll once it actually ran.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:54:16 PM by Ludophonic » Logged
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: May 15, 2011, 10:16:23 AM »

Why do the docs read void OnVoiceProcessingPassEnd(){} when you actually have to write STDMETHOD_(void, OnVoiceProcessingPassEnd)(){} for it to actually compile?

I don't know what language/library you're using, but aren't you having some namespace troubles?
Nix
« Reply #2108 on: May 15, 2011, 11:50:22 AM »

STL causing segfaults that I have absolutely no idea how to debug.
Ludophonic
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: May 15, 2011, 11:50:50 AM »

C++. It's not a namespace problem it's Windows weirdness. Windows doesn't use the C-standard calling conventions sometimes.

You get __declspec(nothrow) virtual void __stdcall OnVoiceProcessingPassEnd(){} if you expand the macro manually.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2110 on: May 15, 2011, 12:00:05 PM »

C++. It's not a namespace problem it's Windows weirdness. Windows doesn't use the C-standard calling conventions sometimes.

You get __declspec(nothrow) virtual void __stdcall OnVoiceProcessingPassEnd(){} if you expand the macro manually.
They're probably expecting you to be using the same calling convention they are, this is something people writing documentation OUGHT to specifically take note of but often don't, especially because calling convention can sometimes be not actually an inherent part of the library but (if the problem is happening at the link stage) vary from build to build. There's a calling convention option in one of the project properties in VS, if you use that then the weird decl macros will become unnecessary.

Nix
« Reply #2111 on: May 15, 2011, 12:05:18 PM »

I fixed the segfaulting problem, but I hate it when I manage to fix a bug without ever finding out what was causing it or how my "solution" keeps it from happening.
shadowdim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: May 15, 2011, 12:07:59 PM »

Well, f*ck you Android.

I installed Netbeans, Android SDK, uninstalled Netbeans, installed the newer version of Netbeans + last JDK, reinstalled the Android SDK, configured all the shit, and my Hello World app just won't compile Epileptic

Also, stuck with a wifi hotspot internet. 50KB/s ftw.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: May 15, 2011, 12:30:15 PM »

Why does the program crash when undoing houses but no other type of objects?! Waaagh!

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2114 on: May 15, 2011, 12:50:09 PM »

Well, f*ck you Android.

I installed Netbeans, Android SDK, uninstalled Netbeans, installed the newer version of Netbeans + last JDK, reinstalled the Android SDK, configured all the shit, and my Hello World app just won't compile Epileptic
What is it doing instead of compiling?

Why does the program crash when undoing houses but no other type of objects?! Waaagh!
Because you are double freeing the houses.

See, it says so plainly in your tarot spread.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: May 15, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »

Because you are double freeing the houses.
I seem to have solved it, and that was actually not the case. It had to do with the removed objects keeping track of what index they were in the list of world objects when removed. The problem arose when some house had been changed into a background house, moving it to the top of the list, and thus pushing everything else down by one index. The removed object still remembered the old index, which was one less than it should be at the point when I wanted it back, and so I ended up putting it at an index that already had an object. I did indeed get the house back, but I also overwrote and thus removed another house in the process of doing so, which led to a crash when I tried to undo the addition of the house that no longer (incorrectly so) existed. I solved it by increasing the recorded index of the removed object by one when moving something to the top.

... If that makes any sense. It seems to be working, at least, and I am no longer a grumpy programmer!

Ludophonic
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: May 15, 2011, 07:38:38 PM »

They're probably expecting you to be using the same calling convention they are, this is something people writing documentation OUGHT to specifically take note of but often don't, especially because calling convention can sometimes be not actually an inherent part of the library but (if the problem is happening at the link stage) vary from build to build. There's a calling convention option in one of the project properties in VS, if you use that then the weird decl macros will become unnecessary.

Using the STDMETHOD_ macro got things compiling. It's usually not necessary because the API functions have it declared. In this instance I'm creating callback methods so it was needed.

I think I've also tracked down the crashing. After going through a couple layers of macros it seems that the IXAudio2VoiceCallback interface has __declspec(novtable) applied. So I need to write my callback class and instantiate any instances with that in mind.
Ludophonic
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: May 15, 2011, 07:58:29 PM »

Yay! Fixed. Callbacks work now. Not so grumpy anymore.
EssentialNutrients
« Reply #2118 on: May 16, 2011, 04:04:52 PM »

i can only do drag and drop in gm, and i am too scared to try and write code. . .   Sad
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: May 16, 2011, 06:48:43 PM »

i can only do drag and drop in gm, and i am too scared to try and write code. . .   Sad
Trial and error can be a great way of learning, my friend.

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic