Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:13:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 733266 times)
Sakar
« Reply #2140 on: May 19, 2011, 07:56:15 AM »

Does Unity on Windows use mono, or does it use the built in CLR runtime?
I assume it uses Mono as it packages Mono dll's and other runtime stuff with the executable on Windows.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: May 21, 2011, 05:11:55 PM »

BASIC doesn't really seem all that basic. Angry
Sakar
« Reply #2142 on: May 21, 2011, 09:34:55 PM »

Why would you even use BASIC these days?
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2143 on: May 22, 2011, 09:25:51 AM »

The result of dividing two ints in ActionScript is not an int.

I

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: May 22, 2011, 09:30:09 AM »

I started on OSX at 10.1. It improved steadily up to 10.3, it's golden age. Since then the nice UI features are dragged down by MS level of code quality. I've been close to throwing my macbook off my balcony due to XCode, the only thing that held me back was the thought I might hurt someone. One day I'm going to use OpenBSD on a Texas Instruments chip and never look back.
You should do something about those anger management issues.

Have you ever tried to move a refrigerator with a bicycle? I have. There is a difference between anger and frustration.
If frustration causes you to (want to) throw something out of a window, I'd say it's an issue.

_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2145 on: May 22, 2011, 09:33:50 AM »

Looks like i'm the only one to like XCode 4  Cool

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2146 on: May 22, 2011, 10:02:41 AM »

I have lately spent a lot of time using editors where, when you type { and hit return, it fills in a }. I cannot get used to this. And if I somehow do get used to it, then I'll be screwed whenever I get around to going back to editors that don't type the } for you. It will be the Chrome debacle all over again.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
teomat
« Reply #2147 on: May 22, 2011, 10:24:45 AM »

I have lately spent a lot of time using editors where, when you type { and hit return, it fills in a }. I cannot get used to this. And if I somehow do get used to it, then I'll be screwed whenever I get around to going back to editors that don't type the } for you. It will be the Chrome debacle all over again.

Dunno, Eclipse does this, Monodevelop does not and I can switch between the two without problems. But that's probably because I use both of them almost daily.
Cimpresovec
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: May 22, 2011, 11:17:23 AM »

This stupid programmer just did a "git checkout -f" before doing a commit. Lost all progress for today.  WTF No No NO At least I didn't work much today so my grumpy level is "only" high.

Programming is the closest thing I have to magic.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2149 on: May 22, 2011, 12:11:21 PM »

What I like about Mercurial is how it does not make me want to quit programming forever when i use it.

Although I got kind of pissed off at it yesterday.

Let's say you accidentally do this:

rm readme.txt
touch Readme.txt
hg add Readme.txt
hg commit -m "Whatever"

If you are on OS X or Windows, you have just PERMANENTLY BROKEN YOUR REPOSITORY. The repo will continue working in its current state, but if you attempt to clone at that point, or you ever want to check out that revision you just checked in, you just can't. It will check out part of your repository, get to the readme.txt+Readme.txt (because at this point, you will have one file by each name checked in) spit out an error about "case folding" and then just stop. The only way to fix this is to check in a new revision that lacks one of the two versions. But you can't easily do that because you can't easily check a working copy out if one of these files exist! The page on mercurial's website giving advice on this suggests, in this order:

- Find a Linux machine, so that you can check out both files and remove one. (Helpful!)
- A 10-line series of commands directly calling internal mercurial primitives and which, it is implied, could hose your repository.
- Install an extension that hasn't worked since Mercurial 1.6.

Ew ew ew.

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: May 22, 2011, 12:35:50 PM »

but seriously though, this MUST be the reason I get so many bugs.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2151 on: May 22, 2011, 03:01:24 PM »

private var boards:Vector.<Vector.<Vector.<Boolean>>> = new Vector.<Vector.<Vector.<Boolean>>>;

Oh my god, I

What

I must be doing this wrong, right?

increpare
« Reply #2152 on: May 22, 2011, 03:36:28 PM »

Wouldn't worry about messy constructor lines.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: May 22, 2011, 04:51:32 PM »

It's easier to get stuff like compilers set up for.
C++ is a big hassle with libraries, plus I'm just starting learning it. Might not get to actual Last Delusion development until this next semester in college.
Ludophonic
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: May 22, 2011, 06:03:19 PM »

Let's say you accidentally do this:

Subversion has the same problem. On Subversion you can avoid it by setting up a pre-commit hook to check for files with the same name but different case.

Thanks for reminding me, I had this set up at my previous job but I really should add that hook to my personal repo.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: May 22, 2011, 06:25:16 PM »

private var boards:Vector.<Vector.<Vector.<Boolean>>> = new Vector.<Vector.<Vector.<Boolean>>>;

Oh my god, I

What

Nah.

It's easier to get stuff like compilers set up for.
C++ is a big hassle with libraries, plus I'm just starting learning it. Might not get to actual Last Delusion development until this next semester in college.
Code:
sudo apt-get install g++

Done.

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: May 22, 2011, 06:41:08 PM »

Oh my god, I

What

Okay I'm gonna be the one to ask.
What are you building in flash that needs three dimensional vectors?

EDIT:
Woops those are 2d vectors. I must have been tired.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 04:50:04 PM by knight » Logged
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2157 on: May 22, 2011, 11:27:10 PM »

Oh my god, I

What

Okay I'm gonna be the one to ask.
What are you building in flash that needs three dimensional vectors?
I am using two-dimensional vectors, and there are two of them...

Anyway I was making a Game of Life / 2D CA implementation. It works now:

Day and Night
Conway's Life
...mazes...or...something?

EDIT: For some reason when I turn on fixed framerate in Flashpunk, it runs REALLY slow in firefox.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:33:24 PM by mcc » Logged

r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2158 on: May 23, 2011, 12:08:58 AM »

This stupid programmer just did a "git checkout -f" before doing a commit. Lost all progress for today.  WTF No No NO At least I didn't work much today so my grumpy level is "only" high.

make smaller commits dude!  Grin

this will save your ass if you rebase and end up in a world of conflict - also makes things like git bisect more useful
teomat
« Reply #2159 on: May 23, 2011, 05:01:44 AM »

While working in mono on Linux I managed load Lua files through a stream and now I see that it doesn't work on windows.  WTF
I actually don't have any reason to use a FileStream for it so I guess I'll just use luaL_dofile, but that still means I wasted about 2 hours getting it to work.  Facepalm

Edit: Nevermind, I was doing this the complicated way, now it works. With 6 lines of code...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 06:22:49 AM by teomat » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic