Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:39:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 733385 times)
Cimpresovec
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2160 on: May 23, 2011, 05:08:27 AM »

This stupid programmer just did a "git checkout -f" before doing a commit. Lost all progress for today.  WTF No No NO At least I didn't work much today so my grumpy level is "only" high.

make smaller commits dude!  Grin

this will save your ass if you rebase and end up in a world of conflict - also makes things like git bisect more useful

Yea but I was working on one bigger function (Separated axis theorem for collision detection) and didn't really feel like doing a commit in between. Now I regret it...

Programming is the closest thing I have to magic.
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2161 on: May 23, 2011, 08:57:07 PM »

Trying to animate with sine waves. Facepalm

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #2162 on: May 23, 2011, 09:59:52 PM »

xcode 4 really? i can't install custom language syntax coloring like i could in xcode 3 anymore?

fuck it I think i'm gonna revert back to xcode 3 soon...
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2163 on: May 23, 2011, 10:27:59 PM »

xcode 4 really? i can't install custom language syntax coloring like i could in xcode 3 anymore?

The selected run destination is not valid for this action.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: May 24, 2011, 11:05:53 AM »

You could do that? You couldn't even change the way it allowed you to indent and format your code. It was ridiculously strict.

... Or could you?

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #2165 on: May 24, 2011, 12:02:32 PM »

You could do that? You couldn't even change the way it allowed you to indent and format your code. It was ridiculously strict.

... Or could you?

you could do both of those...

If you had a .pblangspec file for the language you wanted, you popped it it library/xcode/specifications and it all worked fine
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: May 24, 2011, 12:42:04 PM »

... Or could you?

you could do both of those...

If you had a .pblangspec file for the language you wanted, you popped it it library/xcode/specifications and it all worked fine
But is there no way to change it through the GUI? In the regular settings?

increpare
« Reply #2167 on: May 24, 2011, 01:17:14 PM »

uch ... refactoring work on a (reasonably substantial) project is getting messy ... having to touch pretty much everything ... going to get a lot messier/confusing before it starts getting neater  Sad
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #2168 on: May 24, 2011, 02:28:16 PM »

But is there no way to change it through the GUI? In the regular settings?

how hard is it to download a file and drop it in (what is essentially) the plugins folder?
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: May 24, 2011, 05:02:27 PM »

ATTENTION, PURVEYORS OF OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE:

If you want your code to be cross-platform, you've got a few options:

A) Maintain and provide a bunch of project files for various compilers, and let the user pick which one they want to use based on their platform and dev environment.

B) Use makefiles. They're not everyone's cup of tea, but they work.

Notice how "use some other open source build library" is not an option. Because if you do that, you're retarded. Nobody wants the additional headache of installing, configuring and building SpecialMake or AardvarkMarmaladeConstructor or GQFXKL++2.3 just to get your software to run. Certainly nobody will ever re-use that make system for anything else ever again. Did you ever think about how you build those custom make systems in the first place? They all use either Option A or Option B because THAT'S WHAT YOU SHOULD BE DOING. They exist only to annoy. And you know what? If your special make system of choice happens not to build/run/be supported on my platform or in my dev environment, NEITHER DOES YOUR LIBRARY.

Sorry. Had to get that off my chest.

Nix
« Reply #2170 on: May 24, 2011, 07:30:35 PM »

I've booted into Windows to get a MinGW build going so that my partner in crime (who is doing all the art and most of the level design) can actually run the game and level editor. Needless to say, it is turning out to be an incredibly painful experience.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2171 on: May 24, 2011, 08:39:59 PM »

I've booted into Windows to get a MinGW build going so that my partner in crime (who is doing all the art and most of the level design) can actually run the game and level editor. Needless to say, it is turning out to be an incredibly painful experience.
MinGW works fine on non-Windows OSes... I do all my Windows builds on a mac. I've got a link for actual binary installers for os x... Haven't tried putting mingw on linux though. Are there not debian packages somewhere?

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2172 on: May 24, 2011, 08:42:53 PM »

Still really weirded out by this thing where

for(var x:int = 0; x < width; x++) {
   idk_whatever(x);
}

x persists outside the loop  Epileptic

how can this be  Epileptic

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #2173 on: May 24, 2011, 09:34:55 PM »

idk_whatever(x);
}

flash?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: May 24, 2011, 09:54:58 PM »

... There's a bug in SFML for Mac that makes the program crash if I press keys on a Greek or Cyrillic keyboard (and probably other non-Latin ones too)... I posted about it in their forums. We'll see what happens.

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2175 on: May 24, 2011, 10:14:44 PM »

idk_whatever(x);
}

flash?
Yeah.

Mostly only an issue because I copy and paste a for loop to do something else, and the second time turns into a warning

:shrug:

increpare
« Reply #2176 on: May 25, 2011, 01:34:46 AM »

Mostly only an issue because I copy and paste a for loop to do something else, and the second time turns into a warning

:shrug:
yeah, it's a big crapness of as3 Sad
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2177 on: May 25, 2011, 01:52:44 AM »

Not that this really excuses AS3, but this misfeature is copied from Javascript and EcmaScript.
st33d
« Reply #2178 on: May 25, 2011, 02:29:01 AM »

It's not crappiness it's an optimisation because of the platforms on which ECMAScript was meant to run.

Variables are local to function blocks. Not simply anywhere you put curly brackets.

If you consider this in terms of optimisation then there's no garbage collection party until you leave the function block instead of every time you enter or exit a for, while or do loop.

It's a given in ECMAScript that you declare your variables early in your function block and then recycle them. This eases the load on the CPU. It's also standard practice in Javascript.

Of course it fucks with the head of anyone fresh to ECMAScript and gives maintaining devs a nice mess to clean up.
increpare
« Reply #2179 on: May 25, 2011, 03:43:05 AM »

It's a given in ECMAScript that you declare your variables early in your function block and then recycle them. This eases the load on the CPU. It's also standard practice in Javascript.

Of course it fucks with the head of anyone fresh to ECMAScript and gives maintaining devs a nice mess to clean up.

GOLLY I'D SURE HATE TO BE MAINTAINING YOUR CODE

Code:
for(var i:int = 0; i < polys.length; i++){

Code:
for(var i:int = 0; i < clip.numChildren; i++){

Code:
for(var i:int = 0; i < newValue.length; i++) {

LOOK AT THIS MESS IT'S A WONDER ANY NITROME GAMES RUN AT ALL
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic