Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:26:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 733210 times)
Eraser
« Reply #3920 on: February 11, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »

Late last night I spent 2 and a half hours debugging why my code wasn't producing the expected result. It turns out, I have a variable named "nq" and also "nc" and I was using the wrong one.  Tired
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: February 11, 2013, 11:56:29 AM »

longAssVariableNamesForLife

ChevyRay
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: February 11, 2013, 01:01:47 PM »

Late last night I spent 2 and a half hours debugging why my code wasn't producing the expected result. It turns out, I have a variable named "nq" and also "nc" and I was using the wrong one.  Tired

Crappy variable naming practices plagued my early years of game development.

var a, b, c, aa, bb, cc, abc, x, xx;
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: February 11, 2013, 02:22:37 PM »

Good that you didn't go for:

var _, __, ___, ____, _____, ______, _______, ________, _________;

Durr...?

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: February 11, 2013, 03:09:24 PM »

My first game was a roguelike and I just named every variable 3 letters, it was useful but I couldn't continue it after giving a one month break
RTLShadow
Level 0

I make the video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3925 on: February 12, 2013, 12:46:54 AM »

Dear bajeebus- I _hate_ non-visual UI programming. It's such a pain in the butt to get something so insignificant working. Angry
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3926 on: February 12, 2013, 03:05:18 AM »

write a program to write your program for you Smiley spoilers thats what visual editors do.

Crimsontide
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: February 14, 2013, 10:30:55 PM »

C++ woes. A template function didn't compile, so I was told to move it into the header... which revealed some circular dependency issues... that only got worse as I started fixing them.

That picture is quite an accurate representation of today.  Finished some work on a Tuple type since VS2012 std::tuple support is a joke, and the full std::tuple implementation lacks some key functions/functionality.  Its bad enough the mess that is C++ template meta-programming (its like programming in LISP while drunk... with a monkey generating random errors from time to time...), but add in a buggy CTP compiler and holy crap!!!  You should've seen the messed up errors that thing was spitting out...
0x1A
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: February 14, 2013, 10:55:46 PM »

longAssVariableNamesForLife

NoErrorReportingAPI *longAssVariableNamesForLife;

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: February 18, 2013, 05:46:01 PM »

Facial recognition databases are a lot more efficient if the face is not rotated so I wrote some code to detect the eyes in a image of a face then use that to find an angle to rotate the image so that it's as straight as possible. It also does that to incoming data so the comparison can be good on both ends.

Thing is every once in a while the image gets rotated to hell. I though my math must have been off or something. Turn on some debug drawing then I realized that every once in a while the detection algorithm identified a nose hole as an eye and completely fucked the rotation :D

Made some code that just checks the general difference in the y coordinates of the eye to fix it. I think there's a very low chance we'll have an input that has an eyeball in their nose  Cheesy

cubertron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3930 on: February 19, 2013, 03:05:36 PM »

what do you people do when you aren't working on any game and feel bored. what do you code?
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: February 19, 2013, 06:03:32 PM »

Games. Always games.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3932 on: February 19, 2013, 06:31:47 PM »

what do you people do when you aren't working on any game and feel bored. what do you code?
Tools and engine/framework enhancements.

_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3933 on: February 19, 2013, 06:41:57 PM »

the most random nonfunctional and "might not actually work" stuff I want to crunch on, because usually I end up crunching on "distractions" until the interesting part is gone Crazy
Or I just refresh my bookmarks ALL day.

cubertron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: February 19, 2013, 08:14:54 PM »

Games. Always games.

you always make games with unique ideas? Cause for the time being I have no good idea in my mind and don't feel like making a clone of the popular games.
SuperDisk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: February 19, 2013, 08:35:21 PM »

Games. Always games.

you always make games with unique ideas? Cause for the time being I have no good idea in my mind and don't feel like making a clone of the popular games.

Tools, tools, tools, my friend. Come up with some neat tool, like a screen capturer then just keep adding to it until it's a neat thing.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: February 19, 2013, 09:15:14 PM »

I usually do art.

Sometimes I do procedural gen stuff.

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: February 19, 2013, 09:22:37 PM »

I like writing basic math stuff, things like making mandlebrot gens or square root functions or stuff like that. Its good for killing time

edit: Oh, probably should have mentioned all the crappy 8 hour game prototypes that don't lead to anything
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:50:00 PM by s_l_m » Logged

Think happy thoughts.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3938 on: February 19, 2013, 09:41:31 PM »

obligatory "see friends IRL, demean you all for nolifing" response. Big Laff

If I'm actually recreationally programming, it's usually framework stuff or ludumdare style throwaway games.

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3939 on: February 19, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »

Tech and

.  This might make an interesting thread.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic