Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:40:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 733338 times)
Eraser
« Reply #3980 on: March 18, 2013, 08:28:02 PM »

Discovered the library I'm using for mobile development has some crazy sound engine bugs, including making bad JNI calls on Android which cause the app to immediately crash on 2 of my 3 devices when trying to play sound, a memory leak when a sound is played multiple times, sound cannot be started from a position on Blackberry, and the inability to change the volume once the sound starts playing on any platform I've tried.

This is why people write their own engines Facepalm
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3981 on: March 19, 2013, 06:37:32 AM »

Combatting spammers in a registration free environment sucks Concerned

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: March 19, 2013, 08:45:13 PM »

Been there, done that. I feel your pain  Sad

Think happy thoughts.
epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: March 20, 2013, 04:08:46 AM »

Just checked comments on my website and turns out that spambots now get through honeypots.
Another proof for evolution, it seems.
My next plan is to auto-reject all comments containing [url], http:// and <a href.
In its 1.5 years of existence, no human has posted any links there.

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: March 22, 2013, 12:31:24 AM »

Sometimes I wonder if programming makes me grumpy or whether I'm just a grumpy person in general   Apoplectic
Articulated
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3985 on: March 24, 2013, 09:03:33 AM »

Sigh...I thought I understood how Classes, Objects and Methods worked.  I really did...

I just wanted to output the result of a dice roll...

Why is it so hard to do?  Cry

Need a Voice Actor for your game?  Check out my demo reel on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jc5124

I have a blog too!

http://arbitrax.wordpress.com/

Follow @JC5124 on Twitter!
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: March 24, 2013, 10:09:42 AM »

Including files in a C++ project takes too much time and nerves. Especially with template functions, I get a lot of "invalid use of incomplete type" and "error: forward declaration".
JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: March 24, 2013, 09:59:23 PM »

And I can't program art direction and assets.
Fuck.

Instant TileEd - draw pixel art games and export them to Tiled TMX!
Looking for artist for a CRPG!
Austiyn
« Reply #3988 on: March 25, 2013, 03:44:43 AM »

Fuck.

LMBO at the midget zombie.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3989 on: March 25, 2013, 04:32:31 AM »

Fuck.

this looks very nice

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ALourenco
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3990 on: March 25, 2013, 12:46:35 PM »

I just can't open a window in my editor's GUI -.- It's frustrating!

GameDev Master Student.
Game Engines and Computer Graphics in free time.

@CodinGree
SuperDisk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: March 28, 2013, 02:20:39 PM »

The SDL Java wrapper I successfully compiled from C (Grin)

is like 5x slower than pygame, which I was trying to get out of. The madness never ends.  Angry

Edit: Turns out I was setting the BPP wrong. Oh, me.  Tears of Joy
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:33:23 PM by SuperDisk » Logged
rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: March 28, 2013, 03:01:10 PM »

is like 5x slower than pygame, which I was trying to get out of. The madness never ends.  Angry

i have never used java SDL but i would like to suggest http://www.slick2d.org/. its a very nice framework/engine on top of lwjgl so you get the speed of openGL, the only problem with it is the lack of tutorials that are up to date but if you are comfortable reading javadoc's its pretty well documented
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: March 28, 2013, 03:04:22 PM »

i have never used java SDL but i would like to suggest http://www.slick2d.org/. its a very nice framework/engine on top of lwjgl so you get the speed of openGL, the only problem with it is the lack of tutorials that are up to date but if you are comfortable reading javadoc's its pretty well documented

Slick works great in the vacuum of your development environment, but in my experience it is kind of a nightmare to deploy. Once you have that working it is a great library thought

Think happy thoughts.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: March 29, 2013, 04:21:57 AM »

The new PSM SDK update completely fucked me. I had perfect 60+fps performance now suddenly not only is performance abysmal (20 fps max) but I have Z-sorting errors out the wazoo!

I can't even see a parttern to the z-sorting errors right now. It's not like everything got swapped or anything like that. It's like they all got shuffled.

FMLFMLFMLFMLFMLFMLFMLFMLFMLFML

rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: March 29, 2013, 04:39:56 AM »

Slick works great in the vacuum of your development environment, but in my experience it is kind of a nightmare to deploy. Once you have that working it is a great library thought
nah its pretty easy, just compile a jar and merge it with slick2d and lwjgl with jarsplicer.
haven't tried any jar to exe converters though so no idea if they complicate things
ghosted
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: March 30, 2013, 08:16:12 AM »

My little javascript engine is coming along nicely and I've encountered a performance issue with rendering more than 1 layer of 8x8 tiles on a 320x240 canvas. It's just too much for it. The number of individual draw calls (40 x 30 = 1200 for each layer) is too expensive.

So I hit on a plan to create a grid of larger canvases that I'd pre-draw large clumps of tiles to and then I'd only need to do a handful of draw calls to draw all the tiles.

After a couple of hours I'd got it all working perfectly and saw the performance increase clearly. But about 5 seconds later I suddenly realised I'd basically blitted each entire layer to it's own, huge bitmap (albeit cut into a grid of chunks). Faster to draw each frame but a huge waste of memory. Spanner.

Ah well, dirty rectangles instead then I guess.
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3997 on: April 01, 2013, 02:22:43 PM »

Took a while to figure out that Flash distorts the palette on the externally loaded PNGs (via Loader/URLRequest) but keeps the palette ok when embedding them.

The PNG was a map file and pixel colors where specific entities.

I ended up using GIFs, but of course you have the 256 color limit, and JPEGs are a big no no because of the artifacts...

Thanks Adobe Angry

Working on HeliBrawl
pixhead
« Reply #3998 on: April 01, 2013, 03:40:54 PM »

I've been avoiding a bug in my program until 3 day ago. It finally caught up to me and I had to fix it. Sadly, it was so wired into the program that I couldn't do anything other than rollback my project a weeks worth of work.

Things I learned: never postpone debugging, Git is a gift from the heavens.

At least code is at least 30x easier to write a second time.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3999 on: April 01, 2013, 03:55:11 PM »

Took a while to figure out that Flash distorts the palette on the externally loaded PNGs (via Loader/URLRequest) but keeps the palette ok when embedding them.

The PNG was a map file and pixel colors where specific entities.

I ended up using GIFs, but of course you have the 256 color limit, and JPEGs are a big no no because of the artifacts...

Thanks Adobe Angry

I'm pretty sure I've done the same thing with no trouble. Maybe you need to save your PNGs in a non-paletted format (or vice versa if they're currently RGB)?

Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic