Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 04:44:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 738561 times)
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4500 on: May 20, 2014, 05:58:44 AM »

Spent three long days syncing localisation files. First came user translations, meanwhile came bugfixes and text corrections, then came additional features that needed new lines of text, then came more user translations, then came whole story campaign redesign with new lines, changed lines, shortened lines... and now I needed to sync all these for 6 languages, mark the changed lines for retranslation and brush everything up for voice recording.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: May 24, 2014, 08:43:02 PM »

Everytime I extend the cmd's capablities I seem to have to redo functionality that .NET offers me. It's a never ending cycle.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4502 on: May 24, 2014, 10:21:41 PM »

Everytime I extend the cmd's capablities I seem to have to redo functionality that .NET offers me. It's a never ending cycle.
Just fyi cmd + .net is basically powershell and you might want to look into that.

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4503 on: May 25, 2014, 05:22:48 AM »

Seconded. Powershell adds cmd, bash and the .NET framework together.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4504 on: May 25, 2014, 06:01:15 AM »

I dunno if I'd say it adds bash due to the implicit .net-yness of everything (rather than file streams), though I guess you've got the completion and logical operator side of things...

Grumpy cause I'm really behind on writing heaps of words about parallel computer architectures.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: May 25, 2014, 10:16:16 AM »

minimize duplication.
tjcbs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4506 on: May 28, 2014, 07:40:05 AM »

For the 10 billionth time I used min when I should have used max, and vice-versa. There's some kind of mental block going on, I just can't get it right.

jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: June 29, 2014, 02:33:48 PM »

Just spent 45 minutes tracking down a bug...that turned out to be me forgetting that

Code:
float a = 2/3;

gives you zero in GLSL, C, and C++.

Every time I forget to add a decimal point, I swear it will be the last time I make that stupid mistake...but then a year or two later I do it again...
Squidly
Level 1

You See Here a Profile

View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: June 30, 2014, 01:48:45 AM »

Fighting Box2D and AS3 at the same time all the while trying to make a complicated platformer engine is a torture no programmer should ever have to endure.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4509 on: June 30, 2014, 02:24:07 AM »

Spoilers don't use box2d for a platformer we did and it was the worst change we ever introduced, bar none.

GLSL
Really??? I thought it was float central there.

jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: June 30, 2014, 03:40:38 AM »

Spoilers don't use box2d for a platformer we did and it was the worst change we ever introduced, bar none.

Heh. Yeah, "real" physics is generally not what you want for a platformer.

GLSL
Really??? I thought it was float central there.

You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? But no, it does integers as well, and uses C-like promotion rules. So if you divide two things that parse as integers, the fractional part is truncated, even if you're then assigning it to a float variable.

Having messed around a bit with writing compilers, I can understand why they did it that way; it does simplify things. But man, does it make for some annoying bugs when you forget about it.
Squidly
Level 1

You See Here a Profile

View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: June 30, 2014, 10:11:41 AM »

You can force it to play by your rules, for example, in order to allow sliding up a block when jumping (normally you slow down if pushing against something) you simple create a low friction block exactly one pixel wider on both ends then the regular friction block. This lets you be able to slide against the side but not the top.

Creativity blooms in despair ._.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4512 on: June 30, 2014, 05:24:04 PM »

We just turned off almost everything except penetration resolution for stuff that wasn't meant to be "physical" and handled friction etc etc etc in the game code, but that's an interesting solution.

@jgrams I wasn't disagreeing, just surprised. Gotta watch out for it everywhere I guess.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: June 30, 2014, 08:04:29 PM »

Like I have mention before, we need less physics engine and more collision engine, the physics a nuisance when making gameplay. Too many engine have the two conflate with each other and it ruin programming the game.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4514 on: July 01, 2014, 01:14:04 AM »

Yeah I hate the tight coupling a lot in unity. I've been tempted to release in-house 2d SAT approaches at various points (Java and C++) but I can never be bothered with support/maintenance for that kind of thing, and it's more satisfying to release games anyway Wizard

MorleyDev
Level 0

"It is not enough for it to just work"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4515 on: July 03, 2014, 05:35:43 AM »

Writing integration tests around 3rd party API access to prove my facades are behaving as expected, whilst on 2 hours sleep and in-between trying to make CMake sit down shut up and do what it's been told and link the damn library.

Now I do love me some good testing, I'm all for the TDDs and the Test-First, but on 2 hours sleep every assertion and mock blurs together into this big red "not working, hahaha".

On the bright side, I have become a being of pure coffee.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 05:48:33 AM by MorleyDev » Logged

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: July 24, 2014, 09:00:43 PM »

14 hours. It took me 14 hours to realize that I had to remove nodes to make my A* work and stop having AI shit its pants. Holy shit. My poor day.  Facepalm

vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: July 25, 2014, 11:39:45 PM »

Everything was going swell with my sfml project, getting used to pointers and stuff to access textures that normally disappear out of scope if you don't reference it, but the moment I use new with this, something weird in the code happens that somehow deletes the loaded texture? giving me some error involving accessing data at 0xffff...

I should probably read documentation or some shit, god programming is hard
0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: July 26, 2014, 01:17:53 AM »

OpenGL Blending Modes (more like bleeding modes) is argh. Hand Shake Left No No NO Hand Shake Right

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4519 on: July 26, 2014, 03:56:12 AM »

CMake
I'm assuming you're using CMake cause you have to not cause you want to, but if it's somehow the latter one consider swapping over to premake for simpler configuration file format and "no bullshit" solution/makefile generation. It's my general go-to where I need to swap between OSes and don't want to keen 3+ separate projects up to date.

Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic