Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:58:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 738751 times)
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4560 on: August 21, 2014, 03:37:52 PM »

MonoDevelop is horrible. I guess I should try Visual Studio. Would it be any better?
fwiw I've been using sublime to edit and vs to debug these days, works well. Can't stomach editing out of sublime since using it, I've been spoiled Smiley

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4561 on: August 21, 2014, 03:44:40 PM »

It needs a complete redesign like the D3D9->D3D10 transition.

That was what happened between OpenGL 2 and 3. Nobody was happy with the end result.

Khronos is planning on completely ditching OpenGL anyway (look up "next generation OpenGL", even though it's a misnomer since it has absolutely nothing to do with OpenGL).
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: August 21, 2014, 03:57:59 PM »

Yeah my work has now spoiled me with VS and a handful of awesome plugins. I'm also ruined in a fairly expensive way.

Enough that I'm leaning towards paying for my own personal copies of VS/VAssistX

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: August 21, 2014, 03:58:46 PM »

That was what happened between OpenGL 2 and 3. Nobody was happy with the end result.

Khronos is planning on completely ditching OpenGL anyway (look up "next generation OpenGL", even though it's a misnomer since it has absolutely nothing to do with OpenGL).

That wasn't really a full breakaway, but what your describing is more in line with what I would like to see.

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4564 on: August 22, 2014, 03:13:26 AM »

Adobe Flash team are assholes:
https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3714153

(I'd already forgot, but got the changed status email)
Status NeverFix
Reason NotWorthEffort

Mock Anger Hand Knife Right

Working on HeliBrawl
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4565 on: August 22, 2014, 03:50:55 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if they just end up removing support for non-XInput controllers instead (which would be even worse).
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: August 22, 2014, 05:10:09 AM »

ai, you got me worried there for a few seconds, looked for some info clicked http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/187796-opengl-4-5-released-next-gen-opengl-unveiled-cross-platform-mantle-killer-dx12-competitor
and saw stuff like :
is your fairly standard annual OpenGL update .... (OpenGL NG), however, is a complete rebuild of the OpenGL API. ... new version of OpenGL that removes a lot of the abstraction, significantly reducing the overhead and inefficiencies  ...

so yeah, redesign of openGL for the win, not so much ditching openGL, normality restored.

I was beginning to get grumpy you know, glad I am here already Wink
Jarkko Vallius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4567 on: August 22, 2014, 08:10:15 AM »

Downloaded and installed Visual Studio 2013 Express. Sooo much better than MonoDevelop. Thanks guys!  Toast Left

FTLRalph
Level 1

What?

View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: August 22, 2014, 01:07:03 PM »

Status NeverFix
Reason NotWorthEffort

Well, I suppose that's one way to clear off the to-do list.
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: August 22, 2014, 04:15:45 PM »

This OpenGL NG initiative sounds awesome.  I'm really liking the idea of a redesign of the shading system so that there is a standardized intermediate format.  It'll be much easier for me to write a Scheme->IR system rather than a Scheme->GLSL system.

But looking at the tentative "NG consortium" I really hope the Open part of OpenGL remains...

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4570 on: August 22, 2014, 08:43:34 PM »

so yeah, redesign of openGL for the win, not so much ditching openGL, normality restored.

They did say they want to get rid of OpenGL compatibility though... Honestly stuff like that should get a new library name (something I hate about the standard version convention many programs use, different major versions usually mean a completely new API which honestly should mean it should get a different name too since it isn't the same thing anymore)
MorleyDev
Level 0

"It is not enough for it to just work"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4571 on: August 25, 2014, 04:53:48 AM »

MonoDevelop really can't compete with VisualStudio + Resharper for C# development. It's just not fair. And then there's the Resharper for C++ EAP, but at least that has JetBrains also making their own cross-platform C++ IDE as an alternative (in the EAP for the latter, is quite a nice IDE).

Meanwhile my 'mad programming skills' continue to prove too much for Visual Studio 2013 (MSVC12) as the compiler seems to simply be giving up and throwing out 'Error 16 error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.' -__- Meanwhile clang and gnu compile without complaint. Because Microsoft.

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: August 25, 2014, 12:19:20 PM »

Status NeverFix
Reason NotWorthEffort

Boo. I gave up on Flash 2 years ago. Let me tell you, I can program in Lingo, so flash and I go way back.

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4573 on: August 25, 2014, 01:32:06 PM »

I'll be migrating to HaXe, but I have a big codebase and an unfinished game in AS3/AIR so I'm stuck with it at least for a bit longer Sad

Anyway, I made an AIR extension to deal with Joystick issues, just released it today.

Working on HeliBrawl
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4574 on: August 25, 2014, 06:50:53 PM »

Got a painful heap corruption bug just before the end of my LD Jam - storing tasks in an array that could get reallocated bit me in the arse when adding/removing tasks in their own update routines :^(

Adam_
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4575 on: September 11, 2014, 08:32:58 AM »

Spent two weeks on rewriting the old cloning system, since it wasn't able to handle a lot of special cases because of a conceptual flaw. The new system can handle all of them and appears to work nicely.

Well, guess what. It's 1.5 times slower than the old one. So that's what you get when spending a ridiculous amount of time to make things work correctly: An algorithm that spends a ridiculous amount of time doing so.

Damnit.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:58:42 AM by Adam_ » Logged

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4576 on: September 11, 2014, 10:48:21 AM »

The grumpy old programmer jinx:

Working on HeliBrawl
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4577 on: September 11, 2014, 06:55:50 PM »

Don't forget having to fill in empty comments (i.e. the token that starts a comment (like //) but no actual comment following it).
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4578 on: September 11, 2014, 09:01:38 PM »

Martin, story of my life.
Don't forget having to fill in empty comments (i.e. the token that starts a comment (like //) but no actual comment following it).
Wait, who does that? Don't do that!

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4579 on: September 11, 2014, 09:20:32 PM »

It happens if you're writing code quickly, you add placeholders where you know where comments will go before thinking what to write (which you'll have a more clear idea when you're done writing that block of code). Of course the thing is that those placeholders should last at most a couple of minutes (and definitely shouldn't be commited!), the problem is when you forget to fill them...

Not any different from writing both the opening and closing parenthesis of a function call before starting to fill in the arguments, really.
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic