Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:37:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 733300 times)
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4920 on: August 22, 2015, 11:51:14 AM »

Interesting. Its name doesn't do it justice :D

I've been meaning to check out resharper for years now but kind of procrastinated due to the last few years I've mostly been working in c/c++

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: August 26, 2015, 03:53:50 PM »

I'm doing a parser for conceptnet 5.3 for story PGC (in blitz3D because why not)
Problem is that the structure is not well explained on the wiki and I discover specific case by failing to parse   Undecided

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: August 26, 2015, 04:46:26 PM »

I'm doing a parser for conceptnet 5.3 for story PGC (in blitz3D because why not)
Problem is that the structure is not well explained on the wiki and I discover specific case by failing to parse   Undecided

I just looked up conceptnet. Holy crap that's an ambitious project.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: August 26, 2015, 05:04:06 PM »

Not so hard so far, it's straightforward it's a bunch of edge and node, ie associate something to another thing using this relation, it's just massive amount of it, they have done the hard job already. I'm just stripping the data into my own hierarchical structure, making a dictionary of words, and replacing word by id that refer to the index in the list of word for all edges. All of what I just said is what I plan to do, not done yet.

I'm using the flat csv database.

So I will use it to find english noun, to filter them by hyponym, then select a few hyponym to use with a madlib style of generator (for example filling "cosmonaut" for character slot). If this works well I will use it to make a kind of simplified 3D scriblenaut for 3D madlibs.

Here is the catch, as an autodidact I had skipped almost anything that is database in my learning to go straight to juicy bit (leaving engine do the heavy lifting on boring stuff), so I had to learn to open, read, close file and get the concept of "stream". And I'm not sure how to use JSON or SQL at all (the other database encoding available). I don't know if I can just load the json and have the structure ready (unity c#) or I have to declare a class to pass the structure in.

I should ask that in the quick question thread.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: September 10, 2015, 09:06:19 PM »

Yellow = written to file
white = read from file

Facepalm

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: September 11, 2015, 02:57:54 AM »

OMG, Blitz3D. <3

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: September 11, 2015, 10:03:02 AM »

it's now free and everything is in the same place (unlike python <.< )

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: September 11, 2015, 12:59:18 PM »

I thought your game was Unity for some reason.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: September 11, 2015, 01:10:29 PM »

it is

But think of it as word vs notepad:
- notepad is fast and lightweight allow to take on the fly note, not fully featured but you don't always need everything
- word take time to open, is fully featured and take age to move around.

Sometime I want notepad not word

Same with photoshop vs mspaint

I'll certainly jump to python for ease of use for text and data sorting though.
(this project is about story generation using conceptnet as a dictionary feed)

shellbot
« Reply #4929 on: September 16, 2015, 10:54:12 AM »

I spent all day yesterday researching how to do backend development for my website... I fucking hate backend development

It's like the second I even think of the backend, I get thrown into dependency hell

Took me 4 hours to get Flask running and I had to reinstall python to do it No No NO
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: September 17, 2015, 09:27:32 AM »

Yeah, the most backendy stuff I've done is pretty much touching htaccess, possibly robots, doing some chmodding and restarting Apache or other little systems. Tongue Backend scares me a bit.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4931 on: September 20, 2015, 12:45:21 PM »

Resorting to hunt down a bug the old primitive way because of a stack smash that completely obliterated the stack (literally all of it got overwritten) so I have absolutely no trace of where it could have even crashed (and the crash is an illegal instruction in an area that isn't even a valid address range). At least I can trigger the bug consistently...
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4932 on: September 20, 2015, 02:00:30 PM »

Resorting to hunt down a bug the old primitive way because of a stack smash that completely obliterated the stack (literally all of it got overwritten) so I have absolutely no trace of where it could have even crashed (and the crash is an illegal instruction in an area that isn't even a valid address range). At least I can trigger the bug consistently...

Stack corrupting bugs are right up there with bugs that move around when tracewrites are added in terms of sheer awfulness.

Best of luck. :}

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4933 on: September 20, 2015, 04:26:23 PM »

Well, I found out a way to prevent the trigger from happening in the first place (since it requires doing a move that normally you shouldn't be able to do that I had overlooked), but I would really like to know why it crashes because it's not something that should be causing a crash in the first place.

Also if anybody is curious:

The only thing on the stack is literally what the exception put there (i.e. the stack was completely empty when the crash happened), the stuff after that is the beginning of the ROM (yay address wraparound!).

EDIT: oh great now I'm getting this same crash from doing other stuff. I'm completely clueless what's going on except that it looks like getting hurt or dying causes it to crash... but honestly I don't know the exact trigger yet. Argh.

EDIT: oooooh, there's the possibility of there not being any objects being shown (only the HUD) and this made the raster effect code go awry. That's why hurting could sometimes crash: your sprite starts blinking, and if there isn't anything else around (or they're blinking too) that won't leave any other sprites behind and make the code try to process 65536 sprites (inevitably overwriting the stack). Whoops!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 05:52:41 PM by Sik » Logged
shellbot
« Reply #4934 on: September 28, 2015, 06:15:42 AM »

Yeah, the most backendy stuff I've done is pretty much touching htaccess, possibly robots, doing some chmodding and restarting Apache or other little systems. Tongue Backend scares me a bit.

The backend is absolutely terrifying. I finally got my site up and running but I honestly feel like the shit is gonna break as soon as I make any changes Tongue
mr_rho
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4935 on: September 28, 2015, 07:21:16 AM »

IMO it's significantly easier to do backend work in Java, depending of course on what you would like to achieve. Spring is a very easy framework to work with with LOTS of examples and tutorials. Don't be phased by it's size, you basically just need the Spring MVC stuff.
shellbot
« Reply #4936 on: September 28, 2015, 11:19:45 AM »

IMO it's significantly easier to do backend work in Java, depending of course on what you would like to achieve. Spring is a very easy framework to work with with LOTS of examples and tutorials. Don't be phased by it's size, you basically just need the Spring MVC stuff.

I used the Flask API and I would definitely recommend that too. I can't program in Java anymore, it's just too 'enterprise'y for me
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: September 28, 2015, 03:38:18 PM »

flask looks super fun to use considering all my backend web experience is in ASP/MVC or PHP/Codeigniter/Laravel.

The fact that the whole thing exists in 1 file and can be understood in a day makes it what I would want to try if I needed to write a REST api.

shellbot
« Reply #4938 on: September 28, 2015, 04:34:38 PM »

flask looks super fun to use considering all my backend web experience is in ASP/MVC or PHP/Codeigniter/Laravel.

The fact that the whole thing exists in 1 file and can be understood in a day makes it what I would want to try if I needed to write a REST api.

It honestly is a breath of fresh air. I've tried to build websites with PHP before and it did not go well, but something about flask just clicked.

It's probably the fact that python is just the bees knees.

Also the fact that my site is pretty small
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: September 29, 2015, 07:58:01 AM »

Yeah that's why it's attractive to me too. I always have such small use cases whenever I do anything resty that something like ASP is like taking a shotgun to a mosquito Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic