Outside some exercises from Project Euler and other very tiny bits of code I tested into online compilers, I spent the last few weeks working on migrating one of my project to github and writing documentation.
What's hard about migrating to Github? Clone the repo and copy over all the code... Unless of course you want to retain all the commit history. But then it should be as easy as adding a new remote (Github) to your existing Git repo and pushing everything to it.
Indeed cloning a repo to github is not hard nor slow at all, but that's not the whole story of my project's migration which is really a complex set of projects working together.
Making sure all the doc is correctly accessible, visible, organized as you need it to be just takes a lot of time. Also, importing issues and linking things together.
The work for this migration also involved splitting a big mercurial repo into several smaller git ones (so to simplify I didn't even tried to convert history, it's ok for now), setting up correctly a super-repo (using subrepos), updating some of the documentation which were wrong now (this takes a lot of time because you have to read all the doc and rewrite some parts), changing the documentation formatting to markdown (which I could have avoided but I wanted a more generic syntax for docs so it was the right time to do it) - knowing that there are tons of wiki doc; setting up a dev website front, which means still more doc to write; updating cmake scripts so that each project can work independently (not totally ok yet BTW) etc. and other little operations that added together just take time.
There are still work to be done which are not directly related to the migration, like the current website texts are no good (too big, too confusing) so I'm almost finished redacting new simpler and understandable texts; then I will have to redact some new documentation that are missing for people to start getting involved into helping, including a file format specification that is not "easy" to write at all; and another more human-readable explanation of this format which would be like a big illustrated tutorial. Also, UI design documents (which I guess I'll make just by scanning drawings or making drawing in photoshop)
Once I've done all that, I still need to fix some bugs in one of the most important sub project, then work hard to get an alpha out so that people can start to see where I'm going exactly and start contributing.
So, to sum up, it's not a simple project, it's complex, needs tons of docs for people to help on it and as I'm alone on it and I still have a game to work on it's taking a lot of time to do all this. Fortunately I spent the last weeks full time on this, so it went faster than it should have, even if I was stuck to bed several days because from sickness.
But yeah, just migrating a repo into github really was the easy and quick part.
I wish I wasn't alone on this v__v;