Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:55:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)A Thousand Blank White Pixels [Finished - Mac/Love released]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: A Thousand Blank White Pixels [Finished - Mac/Love released]  (Read 8310 times)
FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2011, 11:49:04 AM »

A Thousand Blank White Pixels

A two-player (concept) arcade game about resource grabbing and conservation! Move quickly to pick up speed, ammunition and special items, and then hold onto your resources until the time runs out!

Item Key
White - Ammunition
Red - Speed
Purple - Special Item

Controls - Player 1 - Player 2
Movement - Arrow Keys - WASD
Fire Ring - ',' (comma) - C
Switch Rules - '.' (full stop) - V

Firing a ring emanates a white ring from your player, and subtracts one from your White resource (ammunition). If the ring hits an opponent, it will instantly cause them to fire a white ring too.

Switching rules rotates the resource counts around. Whites are converted to red, red to purple and purple to white. This can completely change the game, causing speedy players to become stationary, and instantly converting extra ammo into a huge speed advantage. But no matter what, only one thing matters - whoever with the most resources when the timer hits zero wins.

Postmortem
To come later, in depth, but don't expect a great experience hear. I would dearly love feedback but this is a simple, messy set of mechanics that I kind of fell out of love with partway through. There's fun to be had here (and some degree of tactics) but I don't expect people to bother too hard experiencing it. Tongue

DOWNLOAD
.love file - requires LOVE to be installed (very small install, all platforms)
Mac App
Windows (coming VERY soon)
Source Code - to obtain the source, download the .love file and rename to .zip. Simple!

Finally
Thanks for a hugely warm welcome from the TIGSource community. There is no doubt about it - I am staying around here. Wink

Coffee

OLDER POSTS BELOW

UPDATE
Okay, we can now start to test this baby out. It's nowhere near fully-featured but early feedback is good feedback. Smiley

If you've got Love installed, you can grab a copy of ATBWP 0.0 by clicking here. Arrows to control, X fires the pointless circles. Obstacles are randomised, and the AI 'opponent' merely tries to grab every pickup in sight before stopping. There are bugs galore.

Red makes you go faster, white lets you fire using the X button. Let me know what you think and what you'd change given its current direction.

Original Post
I need to finish a game. Just one. I can't do it though, no matter how hard I try, so I'm hoping that a competition will give me the focus. Thanks, TIGS!  Smiley

A Thousand Blank White Pixels is a multiplayer shooter that's all about rules. You start as a pixel, and pick up more pixels by drifting near them. Pixels of different colours do different things - green pixels represent your health. Red represent ammo. Blue pixels affect your speed. Purple pixels... and so on.

The colours are arranged in a wheel on the screen, clearly visible. Like so:

And each player gets three turns of the wheel to use each round. Clockwise or counterclockwise, they can rewire the rules to suit their stockpiles. Is one player holding onto all the speed pixels and zipping around the screen? Swap the colours around and slow him down. Need ammo? Switch the health and attack bars around and start shooting out your health.

I'm working on the finer points of the rules now, and it won't be a very sophisticated game. But I've wanted to do a rule-rewiring game for a while now. Will attempt to do networking, but the main thing is to finish the game. Any thoughts? I'm a bit new here.

EDIT - The title comes from the game "A Thousand Blank White Cards", where players build up game rules as part of the game. I originally had a much grander game in mind - shifting the game genre, rules, gravity, control scheme on the fly, but I'm taking the indie advice of think small, then think smaller. Tongue
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 03:02:18 PM by FinalSin » Logged

Games By ANGELINA - Games designed by artificial intelligence!
Cut Garnet Games - Games designed by me!
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 02:02:55 PM »

Hey I like your style. Good luck finishing the game! Kind of reminds me of Fluxx.

Competition for fun and learning! Onward Ho!   Undecided Hand Point Right
Conker534
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 02:03:30 PM »

I need to finish a game. Just one. I can't do it though, no matter how hard I try, so I'm hoping that a competition will give me the focus. Thanks, TIGS!  Smiley

Your not alone.
FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 02:45:37 PM »

Hey I like your style. Good luck finishing the game! Kind of reminds me of Fluxx.

Competition for fun and learning! Onward Ho!   Undecided Hand Point Right

Thanks, I just looked up Fluxx! Sounds really interesting.

Your not alone.

Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 02:46:28 PM »

Sounds like a great idea!

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 04:25:22 PM »

This sounds great!  It also reminds me of Flux (I love the idea of rule changing games).  As I read your description I noticed you said there would be three rule changes per round.  Maybe it would be fun to make this one of the changable resources like ammo, health, etc.
FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 01:23:47 PM »

Try not to trip too many balls as I show you the first screenshot.

Obstacles and screenwrap working nicely. You can fire off circular things rather than bullets, I'm experimenting to see what works best. It's got a kind of Tron lightbike feel to it at the moment. I'm hoping some good environment generation will allow for interesting tactics (for instance, shedding pixels in order to fit through smaller gaps when being chased).

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 01:38:06 PM »

Okay, now you can trip balls. I've only gone and implemented twirly little pickup squares!

Later
Have I really won ALL POSSIBLE GAMES DESIGN AWARDS?

EDIT - Okay, so you can hit 'x' and emit these little white circles (they currently use up the 'white' resource). I'm not sure what they could do. There's a very obvious purpose - they could hurt things that touch it. But alternatively they could repulse people to be used as territory control. Hmm. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 01:48:31 PM by FinalSin » Logged

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 02:09:52 PM »

"Playable" link in the OP (requires Love to be installed at the moment, will fix that when I'm back at my main PC so we can get Mac, Windows, etc. But you should install love! It's tiny and good - www.love2d.org)

Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 02:22:32 PM »

You had me at twirly little pickup squares.
FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 02:38:24 PM »

:D

What I kind of like about it so far: there's a nice two-phase thing to the game, where the initial phase is a land grab for the resources, and the second phase would be the fight itself (had I implemented that).

I also like that the switch mechanic being a resource (thanks for the suggestion!) means it's quite tactical. You can actually strand yourself entirely, if someone hits switch and swaps a resource you have none of for your speed. You're stuck until someone hits switch again!

No idea how the endgame/combat will work yet.

EDIT - Just had a brainstorm while testing (I managed to completely remove my guy from the map - didn't have any colours left!) I think the last person standing wins. The circles will strip players of 1 resource point when they come into contact.

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 03:09:31 PM »

Ok, this'll be the last update of the night. I think the basics are in place for something that could be tested by real humans. It's... it's pretty complex right now, to be honest. The switching mechanic in particular is really hard to gauge as you move around.

But the circle-firing is good fun: hitting a circle (fired out using x) causes you to involuntarily fire a circle of your own. This not only weakens you (by using up your resources) but might cause a chain reaction among other players. I think it possibly needs one more rule or some kind of way to damage people, but the next objective is adding in internet play.

That'll need me to be at my PC tomorrow. Smiley

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 03:18:14 PM »

This sounds mighty cool! I look forward to the final product.
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 06:33:47 PM »

Tried it on Windows XP, but love fails when trying to open it. The love exe runs fine otherwise. I like the concept a lot anyway Smiley.
Izzimach
Level 0

Immersed in Phlogiston

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 09:50:52 PM »

I too cannot open it, on Windows 7.  The demos included with Love seem to work fine.  I was looking forward to the twirly squares!

In any event, the rule-changing mechanic where you change the "meaning" of each color sounds boss.  Fluxx was the first thing I though of as well.

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 12:39:05 AM »

Yeah, I ballsed up the packaging. Proper exe/app tonight!

EDIT - Actually I feel so terrible for doing this; gimme an hour, I'll sort out a Mac app and a fixed Love file when I get to work. Thanks for trying, you guys!

(The Love file is just a renamed .zip of the working directory, but I did it one level too high so it can't be read).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 12:50:36 AM by FinalSin » Logged

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 01:39:48 AM »

Okay, I've fixed the LOVE file so you can now play the early build against a braindead AI. The mechanics aren't working out how I'd hoped unfortunately, so what I will do is polish up the level generation, implement the second player's controls, and release it like that. If people really dig the local MP version then I'll do a networked one too but I doubt that is going to happen. Tongue

Still, it feels good to have put those mechanics into something that works. Almost 'finished' my first game, if you'd call it that.

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 03:49:19 AM »

The chain reaction thingie cound fun. Also, someone should make a Love2D browser plugin.

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 08:54:48 AM »

Yeah, it would make it one of the most distributable languages I've ever seen, if it were to do that. Tongue

As I said, I'll polish off a multiplayer version tonight probably, and then put it to bed.

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 03:02:43 PM »

Major OP update, and the project is (kinda) finished (or as finished as it's going to get for now, I think).

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic