Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 08:16:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLemma: first-person parkour
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Lemma: first-person parkour  (Read 42538 times)
etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2011, 04:09:12 PM »

Immersive first-person parkour in a surreal, physics-driven voxel world. Every move can modify the environment. Surfaces pop in and out of existence at will.

Available on Steam, itch.io, and Humble

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:15:44 PM by et1337 » Logged

JoGribbs
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 05:39:41 PM »

Looks pretty good so far. I'm wondering though, does Mr.Ninja only have 8-way movement?
etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 05:54:16 PM »

Yeah, I don't have my Xbox controller right now, so using the arrow keys, he's limited to four directions + diagonals. When you're in the air and there's more acceleration involved, other angles are possible even with arrow keys.

Conker534
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 06:09:58 PM »

What charity ^_^?
etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 06:15:59 PM »

My bad, shoulda posted that first off. It's Mocha Club, they work in Africa. I donate to them because they seem to understand the whole "teach a man to fish" thing.

Conker534
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 06:17:28 PM »

Awesome. What a great way to raise money for charity. ^_^

Good luck!
NFour
Level 0

Grow Old or Die Trying

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 11:04:48 PM »

I really liked the little part in your first demo where the blocks followed you around, I know it seems annoying and in the way but theres something about it that seems fascinating >_<
Maybe the pure white look had something to do with it, I really dont know, so feel free to ignore me

Anyway I like everything youve done so far, and for charity no less! Looking forward to seeing the result :D
etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 02:00:28 PM »

Thanks guys!

I really liked the little part in your first demo where the blocks followed you around, I know it seems annoying and in the way but theres something about it that seems fascinating >_<
Maybe the pure white look had something to do with it, I really dont know, so feel free to ignore me

I know what you mean. It was fun to watch, but it didn't really add much to the gameplay. I'm going to try and get the best of both worlds (eye candy and gameplay) by making the enemies act like that (swarms of blocks).

I would have already gone farther with the concept, but I discovered that the Xbox's CLR implementation has terrible floating-point performance, which basically eliminates "real" physics like I had in the first video. So I'm going to have to emulate with some kind of flocking algorithm.

I do sort of miss the pure white look too; I might go back to something similar. The visuals are nowhere near finalized. If anyone has advice, I'd like to hear it! Gentleman

etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 03:16:36 PM »

Bump for a new speed run video with vaulting, wall-running, and swinging. It took like 20 tries before I nailed it lol. Watch for an alpha release here soon!

Danrul
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 03:33:13 AM »

Just some feedback based on the video:

I feel like, really, for a game about forward motion, freerunning, momentum....whatever...the jump is too vertical.

The wallrunning looks good, but that jump is killing me.  It nullifies any sense of weight or movement you have going before you jump.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 03:42:22 AM by Cosmic Fool » Logged
etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 10:09:03 AM »

Excellent point. And thanks for the expertly-crafted Paint diagram. Smiley I'm tweaking the jump as we speak...

etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 03:23:59 PM »

The first playable alpha is available for download!

Please play and let me know of any technical issues or critiques you might have. I'd appreciate it! Beer!

etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 04:20:27 PM »

Resurrecting this old topic to post some new info! The game has taken a new direction since the last post. It's now a PC-only game and it uses an immersive first-person perspective (immersive meaning you can see your arms and legs and whatnot). But it's still about parkour and it still features lots of cubes. Here's another screenshot!

There's also a gameplay video

. Thanks for reading!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 06:51:29 PM »

Wow, thats awesome. I stupidly downloaded the old alpha and was like wth! Any word on an alpha for this new version?

etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 06:34:58 AM »

Yes, I am shooting to release a new alpha over Christmas break!

etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 10:49:57 AM »

Well, an alpha release is still just barely beyond my reach. It's so close though! Be patient! In the meantime here's another update:

This week was a lot of under the hood improvements. The voxel engine got a TON of performance optimizations, which allow my Nvidia GTX 260 to render my test scene at 100-200 FPS.

Screenshots:

New features:
  • Rough-draft tutorial level with instructions and whatnot.
  • Fullscreen toggling on-the-fly by hitting F11
  • Rudimentary fog effect

Performance optimizations:
  • Voxels are now rendered as surfaces, rather than complete cubes. This lets me cull a lot of unnecessary geometry.
  • Voxels are now split into chunks. This lets me easily implement frustum culling and view distance, which helps tremendously with shadow map rendering as well.
  • I fixed some bugs in the voxel modification code, making voxel modifications of up to 100-150 cells practically instantaneous.
  • Shadow maps and reflections are now rendered every other frame. It's a hack, but the important thing is that the gameplay is responsive.

My biggest development challenge was my battle with fullscreen toggling and graphics resource management. Switching from fullscreen to windowed mode, the entire XNA GraphicsDevice is invalidated, along with every vertex buffer, texture, shader, everything. So that was interesting.

Just a quick update this time. Expect a playable alpha soon! Very soon!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 02:48:03 PM »

Looking sweet Cool

etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 12:48:55 PM »

Still trucking along... lots of performance improvements and additional player moves. Here's a screenshot of a structure built entirely in-game:

I'm also working on a logo in preparation for the impending alpha release. Here's two experiments. Which do you like better?

Back to work...

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 12:58:41 PM »

I'm also working on a logo in preparation for the impending alpha release. Here's two experiments. Which do you like better?

1st.

PS.

This game looks epic.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »

1st

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Jump to: