Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 03:50:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationMMORPG Tycoon [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: MMORPG Tycoon [FINISHED]  (Read 111698 times)
Entar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »

Here are some more issues we found:
  • If the player drags a road from something on the map to the bar up top (where the pause/play controls are), it stays there, and then the next time you put down a road, it crashes.
  • If you delete the third saved game slot, it crashes (it says you tried to delete an illegal slot, then bombs).
  • In certain levels (try putting "Hidden Treasures" including capitalization as the name) there are certain areas that are cut off from the rest of the map.
  • Player AI should not let them go into areas that cannot be zoned.  Sometimes, lots of players will try to cross large areas of this type (can also be observed in "Hidden Treasures"). These should be impassable entirely.
  • At least in the later version, you can't see the lines between zones when you're zoomed in.

And some other suggestions:

Maybe remove the limit on saved game slots.

What does "Combat Level Range" mean? What difference does the number of employees make? Either an explanation in the instructions or tool tips for various options would be good.

Maybe add a quick way to tell how many people are in a zone.

Showing what a particular player thinks about the game when you inspect them would be cool.

Not sure if it's what you're going for, but you might make it a bit more clear as to where other complaints (too easy/hard, etc) are coming from (like overloaded server does), unless you meant to make the user figure that out on his own.

Getting people addicted is kind of odd (better explanation of how it works, maybe, and how it's different from satisfaction).

Adding one element at a time is kind of tedious.  Maybe just leave the tool on there, like with the road, until the player leaves the building menu.

Maybe add other +/- buttons in the zoning menu that change the current number by increments of 5 or 10.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 02:59:50 PM by Entar » Logged

mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2008, 04:02:18 PM »

In version 1.0.8, the game crashes when I attempt to load a saved game (tried it on a XP computer and a Vista computer, same result).  Cry

Grr.. silly mistake.  Hadn't marked my save files as binary files rather than text files, so Windows was automatically converting things it thought were linefeeds, but which were actually binary data.

1.0.9 is up, Win32-only.
Entar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2008, 04:48:37 PM »

Hmm, in the new version (1.0.9), when I exit a game and then try to open it again, it doesn't crash, but it didn't seem to save any of my progress.  It just goes back to where it would be if I started a new game with the same MMORPG name.

mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2008, 05:13:54 PM »

Hmm, in the new version (1.0.9), when I exit a game and then try to open it again, it doesn't crash, but it didn't seem to save any of my progress.  It just goes back to where it would be if I started a new game with the same MMORPG name.

*sigh*.  You're totally right.  I should not be allowed near a compiler today.  Sad

Will fix it properly when I get home tonight.

Edit:  Fixed now.  1.0.10 is now there.  As a bonus, it also fixes the "placing a road to a building that's hidden under a toolbar" crash bug.  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 01:51:43 AM by mewse » Logged
Entar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2008, 07:41:50 AM »

Cool, now the only problems I see with the saving is that the number of subscribers does not get saved, and the roads are all weird when I load the level back.

euphoriafish
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2008, 11:21:42 PM »

Hi Mewse,

I downloaded the Mac version of your game and am trying to run it on my Macbook in OS X v10.4.11.  It doesn't completely crash, but it is running verrrrrrrry slowly.  Outside of the game window my mouse cursor moves at full speed but inside the game window it slows to a crawl and sometimes disappears as I move it around.  Also, the screen is blurry for some reason and I can't run the game full screen.

Here's a screen shot of how it looks on my machine:

It seems really interesting though and I wish you luck as you continue to work on it!

~~euphoriafish

Fish are friends, AND food!
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2008, 12:44:30 AM »

Weird!  It looks like MMORPG Tycoon has detected that your video card can handle OpenGL shaders (which I don't think it can, using the integrated video card on a plain MacBook?).  Anyhow, from the screenshot it pretty clearly isn't actually working for you.

Best thing for you to do is to open the app package (right-click on MMORPG Tycoon and select "Show package contents".  You want to go inside there, into Resources/Data/Preferences, and open global.prefs, which is just a text file.

Inside that file, you should see a line "Bloom 1 0 1";  just change that line to "Bloom 0 0 1", to turn off the bloom effect.  Hopefully the game should then run well for you!
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2008, 10:12:56 AM »

Wow.  Really stunning work.
I am amazed you got so much completed in such a short time.  This is clearly a very refined product in comparison to most.  I particularly liked the simple geometric outlines with the bloom effects and the ability to zoom in/out to reveal and hide the complexity of the underlying game mechanics.
There is a lot of content here and while I can't say I fully understood all of it, the help was useful and I can see this becoming a saleable product.   Beer!
Cheers,
--Zack
franconbean
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2008, 02:52:25 PM »

i love you're game. its extremely adictive and fun, i saw it in a magazine (PC zone) and decided to download. i have had a couple of random crashes though and im unsure why
Andygboy
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2008, 03:57:36 AM »

Hey
i download it but it wont to work on my pc ?
why
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic