Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:50:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Pencerkoff Starship [Finished]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Pencerkoff Starship [Finished]  (Read 13205 times)
Mega
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 03:07:46 PM »

To Pencerkoff

I tried it on a different machine and found it worked, not only that but I tried the wrong game at first. the music was from 'Stand off'  http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=18119.0 The theme_song
I mustve been thinking about you or just dl Star Ship when I tried StandOff

Star Ship rocks. psychedelic intro screen,
Love the camera z_position based on the players_distance from each other.

I had a hard time finding player2 controls (still havent) and player 2 seems to be the human player in singleplayer.
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 03:33:47 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

I had a hard time finding player2 controls (still havent) and player 2 seems to be the human player in singleplayer.

playable on a keyboard with no numpad

Okay, I made a version for all you anti-numpad guys.  Up on the first post.  Now uses I O P for weapon controls.  I guess it works, but who really knows.

Appreciate the feedback Glinka.

-PENCERKOFF

renkin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 10:21:44 AM »

Okay, I made a version for all you anti-numpad guys.

I'm not one of those, btw, but yay anyway.  Smiley

Versus entry: Battle Mode
Mega
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 12:40:10 PM »

JESUS! I love the music. I strongly recommend anyone play cheapshot_Rush.ogg in the music folder or listen to the full track on the ship select menu. GENIUS

Pencerkoff can you hear me?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 02:22:07 PM by Glinka » Logged
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 01:44:49 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

JESUS! I love the music. I strongly recommend anyone play cheapshot_Pops.ogg in the music folder or listen to the full track on the ship select menu. GENIUS

Pencerkoff can you here me?

The full song can be found through the cheapshot link I posted in post 1.  All music in the game was shortened for space constraints.  Hope nobody finds that offensive.

I can firmly declare that I cannot "here" or hear you.  Sorry.

-PENCERKOFF

Mega
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 02:23:30 PM »

To Pencerkoff

LOL
Edit: Edit your quote I meant cheapshot_Rush.ogg so many files!

OK enough of me and my typos

To Pencerkoff

tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 02:53:47 PM »

On the plus side, the music is awesome, the movement of the ships was smooth and fun, along with the zoom which gave a nice effect.

However, we didn't understand how to shoot at each other.
Out of the 3 buttons, only one seem to respond (to both of us), the one that creates a white line that doesn't stop. The other two buttons didn't appear to do anything..

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 03:02:07 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

However, we didn't understand how to shoot at each other.
Out of the 3 buttons, only one seem to respond (to both of us), the one that creates a white line that doesn't stop. The other two buttons didn't appear to do anything..

That sounds like your ship didn't have any missles or guns on it.  The "white line" sounds like a laser, but those should stop once you release the button.  Might involve a keyboard issue where you have too many keys pressed down at once.  I can't predict every keyboard, nor can I figure out how to let you choose your own keys (GM doesn't seem too friendly there). 

Does single player work okay?  Because the shooting really is the best part of a shooting game.

-PENCERKOFF

tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 03:47:03 PM »

That sounds like your ship didn't have any missles or guns on it.
Ah, that is the problem. We didn't know that we have to add missiles or guns to the ship, it makes no sense, we'd expected to have them as defaults. We just started playing right away, we weren't really interested in the menu that modified the ship. I think you need to change that.
I tried it again, and used the menu to arm my ship. I think that this menu is too complicated, you should make it more intuitive.
Yes, it was definitely more fun now that I was able to shoot!

The "white line" sounds like a laser, but those should stop once you release the button.  Might involve a keyboard issue where you have too many keys pressed down at once.  I can't predict every keyboard, nor can I figure out how to let you choose your own keys

Nah, not a keyboard problem, we were well aware that releasing the button stops the laser, but why would we, when it's the only weapon we got and it hurts the opponent, there really is no reason to release it ever...

cystem glitch
Level 2

wack

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 05:43:47 PM »

TO PENCERKOFF

You have the best title screen of any game in the composition I have played yet, even if I lose sight of the ship cursor occasionally.

It sucks when your weapons get knocked off and you just sort of have to wait to get killed. Would have been cool to have the ability to ram, or self destruct, or ram while self destructing kamikaze style.

Also, would have been cool if the ship looked different depending on the build.

All in all good entry it's a pleasure to take in, nice job guy.

You told me, never to limit myself to one style...to use any move that works...TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND!
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 08:37:02 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

We just started playing right away, we weren't really interested in the menu that modified the ship.

Not sure what to tell you.  I could have made a fine 1-player system with the mouse, but that wouldn't work with 2 people.  Ship modding was what made this game a game instead of a pointless waste of hand-eye coordination.  I come from a long history of gaming where you have to figure stuff out.

Would have been cool to have the ability to ram

I actually had this at one point, but got rid of it because you would always destroy your ship well before you were ready to go out with that kind of a bang.

Also, would have been cool if the ship looked different depending on the build.

Shmup fighters did that.  Probably could have merged our methods to make a sweet game.  I couldn't think up a good way to organize it to make it look good, and never pursued it.  I've never considered myself an artist, and all the graphics from all my games are a testament to that.  Everything pretty about this game I stole/borrowed from somewhere else.

-PENCERKOFF

Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 09:27:59 AM »

I don't know if I mentioned this, but I appreciate that your game had a one-player mode.

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 06:53:29 PM »

Hello Pencerkoff,

I'm a big fan. I like your style because it's always clear who is talking and there is never any ambiguity about who everyone is.

When we tried this game, we couldn't figure out the ship building interface (we are a little slow). And the options overwhelmed us. It looks like a really cool game! But it didn't really lend itself to the group we played with. Can't really fault the game for anything in that regard.

The person driving the mouse spent at least a full 60 seconds on the main menu dancing with the mouse cursor and spelling words out with the trails.

That gives me an idea for an asymmetric cooperative game. One person spells letters with the mouse and the other has to guess what they are. It would probably have to be online. Alternatively, it could be a group of people competing on keyboards and the first person to type the letter wins. Like charades with a mouse.

Well, thanks for the inspiration!

-FLUFF
Mega
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 11:10:51 PM »

When we tried this game, we couldn't figure out the ship building interface (we are a little slow). And the options overwhelmed us.

I had the same issue, The only way I play is with the no cost invisible ship. I had no idea what the fittings screen is all about lol. (I'm slow too!)  Durr...? Durr...? Facepalm
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2011, 03:26:43 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

You should be able to play just fine in any game mode, the ship-customization is optional since I give you a pre-made ship to start with.

I was half-expecting everyone to be adverse to my customization system, but it really isn't that bad.  The screen should tell you what buttons do what, and the rest is just watching your cost to make sure you can afford it.  Every component has 3 levels, so you can build a single, better, more expensive engine instead of two of the lower cost ones.

Hey Starflier, you customize much?  You may be the only person who got that far.

-PENCERKOFF

Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 04:47:44 PM »

I tried this in SP and enjoyed it a fair bit - the progressively bigger waves make for a good challenge. I was delighted that beams were in although I did find it hard initially to spot which beams were mine. The enemy AI (get on your tail and shoot) works nicely too.

I played with the ship customisation and did get the hang of it but I think I was initially confused since the changing letters on the modules were quite subtle.

Are you going to add more stuff? It seems like you have the germ of a great Star Control type game here and with a bit more variety and personality it should be awesome.

Cheers,

Will
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011, 07:20:22 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Hey thanks Will.  I don't see myself adding more, to tell the truth.  I had fun with it, but in the end I would have to overhaul too many things.  I could make a nicer single-player version that has a nice mouse-interface when customizing the ships, but it's a lot of work for something that doesn't actually make the game-play any different. 

Plus I got employed since I finished this, so my free-time has nearly disappeared.  Luckily for the video-gaming industry I'm still just an engineer.

-PENCERKOFF

Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2011, 12:32:33 AM »

Congrats on getting a job - and I totally understand how this can be a bit of a time sink Smiley Are you able to say where you're working?
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2011, 01:47:38 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Cameron.  I help manufacture compressors.  I'll make a game about it sometime.

-PENCERKOFF

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic