Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 10:34:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Mushrooms Hate Kaya [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Mushrooms Hate Kaya [FINISHED]  (Read 47210 times)
shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 04:46:09 PM »

Took me a while to get the feel just right.. but finally...

I bring you a totally revamped "strolling through", now in F Dorian mode.

http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/strolling-through

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 03:59:20 PM »

Also... fleshed this out too...

http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/light-under-the-leaves

Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 02:46:39 PM »

Took me a while to get the feel just right.. but finally...

I bring you a totally revamped "strolling through", now in F Dorian mode.

That sounds a lot better actually...

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 11:45:15 AM »

New Demo!
It's a mess of final art and scribbly process art at the moment, but the game itself is all there. There's still some serious balance issues, I need two-player teams to test the game and keep track of which modes they play, how many times, and which side wins.
DOWNLOAD

(In exchange for testing my game I can offer either equivalent testing or art-related favors.)

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 07:04:51 PM »

Kaya managed to spawn in the floor in one game. For the one where they have to grow 25 mushrooms, the mushrooms have 2 things to do, while Kaya is just solely focused on eating the mushrooms. The mushrooms have to both protect themselves and grow as quickly as possible. Seems like Kaya should have a secondary objective there as well.

Also, when you fade out of one of the gameplay modes to get back to the main screen, the music should fade with it. Probably the same for menu to gameplay (music should quickly fade.)

you're going to need 5 gameplay tracks. Since you put the tutorial in. :D Glad I got one of em in time for this demo.

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 10:01:49 PM »

For the one where they have to grow 25 mushrooms, the mushrooms have 2 things to do, while Kaya is just solely focused on eating the mushrooms. The mushrooms have to both protect themselves and grow as quickly as possible. Seems like Kaya should have a secondary objective there as well.

This is valid. I'll see what I can do. Any suggestions?

you're going to need 5 gameplay tracks. Since you put the tutorial in. :D Glad I got one of em in time for this demo.

Me too. Now that you've been able to see how the different levels play, does that make your job easier or harder?

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 06:33:55 AM »

This is valid. I'll see what I can do. Any suggestions?
I got nothing from there... sorry. :/
Me too. Now that you've been able to see how the different levels play, does that make your job easier or harder?
Much easier... thanks! :D

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 01:55:52 PM »

Tutorial level music probably, but it's sounding a lot better now...

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 12:04:23 AM »

Yeeesh... Running pretty close to the deadline here. I lost my day off this week, that was going to be my crunch day. I may have to just polish up the first two modes and remove the others for the contest build.

In other news: Wow, shojin, that sounds amazing! Another winner...

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 07:09:37 AM »

Let me know how it goes... I'll be aiming for the full 5 songs, but if you're not going to have the modes for them...

If you're going to continue this game past release by the way, let me know. I'd be happy to finish the soundtrack in case you have to drop anything.

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 07:44:59 AM »

Well, like I said before, the game part is all there. I just need to finish the art. So I'll definitely finish the game, even if I don't make the deadline. I would like to have something to enter though.

Ugh. Next time I'm doing 8-bit graphics. Seriously.

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 07:45:52 AM »

Haha. Mmkay then. 4 tracks it is. That new track, do you want that for the tutorial, or do you want me to make something more simplified for that?

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 09:12:45 PM »

No, I think that's perfect for the tutorial.

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 10:50:12 AM »

Actually, I have a better idea for the tutorial level. Something really sparse to set the learning mood.

http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/learning-to-crawl

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 06:51:42 PM »

Also... fleshed-out!

http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/strolling-through-1

I'm on a roll today.

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 11:34:12 PM »

Actually, I have a better idea for the tutorial level. Something really sparse to set the learning mood.

http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/learning-to-crawl

Well, that's pretty awesome, surprising no one. I agree that this is more appropriate for the tutorial.

Also... fleshed-out!

http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/strolling-through-1

I'm on a roll today.

:D I can get behind that...

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2011, 11:17:37 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Ugh. Next time I'm doing 8-bit graphics. Seriously.

Never regret that decision.  A lot of people around here go the lo-fi route calling it a stylistic choice, while large beautiful sprites are dying... cold and alone.

I played your game, and I have to admit, I have no idea what's going on.  It is just me, but I can't do anything but grow mushrooms, and then have Kaya eat them.  How do you hurt Kaya?

I don't know what your long term plans are, but such a pretty title screen deserves pretty levels to go with it.  Have you developed a tile set for this sort of thing before?  The Assemblee library has some good examples.  Even adding the background art in your title screen to every level would improve things quite a bit.

Another, more destructive, thought would be to eliminate the mouse-controlled player.  I could see an excellent game about competing for mushrooms.  Two players at the keyboard, one is Kaya and the other her red Iguana ex-boyfriend.  Just a thought.  Easiest way to solve balance issues is to put each player in the exact same situation.

-PENCERKOFF

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2011, 02:36:04 PM »

Another, more destructive, thought would be to eliminate the mouse-controlled player.  I could see an excellent game about competing for mushrooms.  Two players at the keyboard, one is Kaya and the other her red Iguana ex-boyfriend.  Just a thought.  Easiest way to solve balance issues is to put each player in the exact same situation.

As for hurting Kaya, the spores that the mushrooms shoot out when they've grown enough hurt Kaya if they hit her.

That's an interesting game type that he could add, but the difference between each players playing is what makes this an interesting idea. It turns into a platformer/strategy hybrid. Kind of like that one FPS that has one player controlling the entire team in an RTS fashion (savage?).

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2011, 06:24:33 PM »

Hit or a miss? I'm not too thrilled about this track...

http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/mushroom-trip

Throwout? Unless I figure something out for it... Eh...

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2011, 12:53:32 AM »

I played your game, and I have to admit, I have no idea what's going on.  It is just me, but I can't do anything but grow mushrooms, and then have Kaya eat them.  How do you hurt Kaya?

Thank you for playing my game. I just realized today that nowhere in the tutorial instructions does it say how to kill Kaya. This has been addressed and the next build (Which I'm going to post tomorrow, barring natural disaster) But basically, the spores that the mushrooms shoot also hurt Kaya.

I don't know what your long term plans are, but such a pretty title screen deserves pretty levels to go with it.  Have you developed a tile set for this sort of thing before?  The Assemblee library has some good examples.  Even adding the background art in your title screen to every level would improve things quite a bit.

Pretty levels eh? Pretty levels... Howabout THESE for pretty levels?

My focus up 'till recently has to make sure the game works well. But the past couple of days have been almost solely devoted to art and sound design.

One of the major inspirations behind this game is Jump n Bump, which, rather than having a tileset, has a single image as the background. I decided I wanted to do the same thing here.

The basic idea for this game was to have two vastly different characters that controlled in different ways, yet shared the same space. It would cease to be the same game if the mushrooms player was removed. I would like to add a three player mode in the future, with two keyboard characters, But I would still want the mouse player present.

Part of the reason I chose this concept is that I kinda suck at level design. This concept forced me to look at how the characters move, and how they interact. The level design is very active in balancing the characters, with Garden Wars being my favorite example. (The mushrooms can flit back and forth across the top of screen as much as they like, but Kaya has to climb directly up the individual columns to get to the target zones...) While it would have been easier to make a perfectly symmetrical game with Super Crate Box style levels, I doubt I would have learned as much doing that.

Again, thank you for your input.

-STARFLIERKOFF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic