Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:39:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Mushrooms Hate Kaya [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Mushrooms Hate Kaya [FINISHED]  (Read 47150 times)
Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2011, 01:17:00 AM »

Hit or a miss? I'm not too thrilled about this track...

http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/mushroom-trip

Throwout? Unless I figure something out for it... Eh...

I don't know, I think it's alright, except the main bit of piano is a bit repetitive after a while...

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2011, 07:27:58 PM »

Hit or a miss? I'm not too thrilled about this track...

Throwout? Unless I figure something out for it... Eh...

I don't know, I think it's alright, except the main bit of piano is a bit repetitive after a while...

Well.. I don't think I'll get any more out of it. My brain's been drained lately from the amount of music I've been doing. I think it's better than before.

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2011, 09:23:50 PM »

Hey guys, getting down to the deadline here. I've decided that the compo entry will only have the tutorial and versus (soup) modes, so that's all there and looking pretty. I've replaced the old pixel sprites with hand-drawn ones so they match the backgrounds better. 
Visually the game is everything I want it to be. All that's missing is some sound effects and the game will be done.
Download the new version!
(Note: hit "G" at any time to turn on giblets. "N" turns them back off again)

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2011, 05:29:37 AM »

hey, great idea! I didn't have anyone to play against Sad so I don't have the full game experience- I just had a few thoughts on streamlining the mushroom controls. You might have already thought about these though:

- Think it might be good for mushroom spores to fire on mouse release, so firing the spores takes one less click. just click-drag to fire

- also wonder if it might be nice to require slightly less mouse precision and have a 'closest mushroom within radius of mouse' selection.

I think these would make playing mushrooms easier so there are some balancing concerns.. I'm generally in favour of making stuff as easy to control as possible and balancing elsewhere.

another thought:
- one balancing idea could be that the longer you stay controling a mushroom the faster the shot goes when you fire it (current speed being close to max). This would make spamming less appealing since the shots would go slowly and be easy to dodge. This might be a terrible idea, like I say I've not experienced the full game Smiley

keep it up!
edit: just noticed you're racing for deadline, so feel free to ignore!

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2011, 06:53:43 AM »

Hey guys, getting down to the deadline here. I've decided that the compo entry will only have the tutorial and versus (soup) modes, so that's all there and looking pretty. I've replaced the old pixel sprites with hand-drawn ones so they match the backgrounds better. 
Visually the game is everything I want it to be. All that's missing is some sound effects and the game will be done.
Download the new version!
(Note: hit "G" at any time to turn on giblets. "N" turns them back off again)

I had a weird error when unzipping, it wouldn't unload Forest.ogg for some reason. Everything else was fine. I think that the game's pretty solid in it's current state. Sad that the other game types won't make it.

So, I'll finish the one track that I'm working on and give it to you. I don't know if you want to randomize which one plays in the Soup gametype, that's up to you. But if you're not going to do that, I suggest getting rid of the other tracks from the zip to lower filesize.

Also, LOVE the gibs.

Are you going to finish the game post-comp?

RadiationBLUR
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2011, 08:00:31 AM »

-Hello this is Pencerkoff(just kidding, big fan, BIG FAN of pencerkoff)

one word for the game:
AMAZING

every thing blend nicely together as a versus game.
the only bad thing with the game is the Kaya vs Mushroom bullets.
it would be better if kaya could take a hit or two, before random spawn.

RadiationBlur

EDIT:

Options.... like sound and music, kinda anoying if you want to hear music....

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2011, 10:45:18 AM »

- Think it might be good for mushroom spores to fire on mouse release, so firing the spores takes one less click. just click-drag to fire

I've toyed with this idea, It's a little harder to impliment than the current setup, but I might give it a shot.

- also wonder if it might be nice to require slightly less mouse precision and have a 'closest mushroom within radius of mouse' selection.

This one's been on my list for a while. Eventually I gave up trying and just made the mushrooms bigger so they'd be easier to click. If anyone knows a way to do this in MMF I'd be grateful.

another thought:
- one balancing idea could be that the longer you stay controling a mushroom the faster the shot goes when you fire it (current speed being close to max). This would make spamming less appealing since the shots would go slowly and be easy to dodge. This might be a terrible idea, like I say I've not experienced the full game Smiley

I like the spirit behind this one, but slow firing spores would very quickly turn the game into a bullet hell for the Kaya Character. One thing I would like to do is make the spores affected by gravity, in which case the slow spores wouldn't really be an issue.
I didn't know how to pull that off when I started this project, but just yesterday I found out that you can set the direction of an object when it's created in MMF. (About half of the programming I've done in the game emulates this. Roll Eyes) So it's definitely doable.

edit: just noticed you're racing for deadline, so feel free to ignore!

Yeah, Job stuff getting in the way :/ and I'm slow at doing things...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:58:02 AM by Starflier » Logged

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2011, 10:52:40 AM »

I had a weird error when unzipping, it wouldn't unload Forest.ogg for some reason.

I had the same problem. Apparently my FTP server has a 7MB cap? What is this garbage?
Anyway, I've made an install program and gotten myself a dropbox. Should fix the problem.

So, I'll finish the one track that I'm working on and give it to you. I don't know if you want to randomize which one plays in the Soup gametype, that's up to you. But if you're not going to do that, I suggest getting rid of the other tracks from the zip to lower filesize.

I'll make use of the music, don't worry. And thanks for helping, it's been really cool :D

Also, LOVE the gibs.

Ain't they all splattery?

Are you going to finish the game post-comp?

I should hope so. I might take a bit of a break from it 'cause I ran out of buffer for my comic, but eventually I'll have the other two modes implemented. Possibly with more precise aiming and easier selection for the mushrooms.

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »

one word for the game:
AMAZING

Well, thank you! I'm rather fond of it myself...

every thing blend nicely together as a versus game.
the only bad thing with the game is the Kaya vs Mushroom bullets.
it would be better if kaya could take a hit or two, before random spawn.

You know, that's how things worked in the very first build, but it was too easy for Kaya to just mow through all the mushrooms that way. At least now a lone mushroom has some chance of holding out on its own

Options.... like sound and music, kinda anoying if you want to hear music....

Thank you sir. I hadn't even considered it, but yes, that is rather important...

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2011, 11:06:42 AM »

New installer with all the music: Download

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2011, 02:31:29 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Wow, got an installer and everything?  Neat.  Miles ahead of where you were.  Now I understand how the spores work, and everything seems to be working nicely.  The art in this game is great, very well done.

My last idea to better your game is about your platform movement engine.  I don't know how you set it up, but it is annoying when Kaya doesn't jump when she is running downhill.  I know your engine causes her to "fall" downhill which I guess is the problem.  I've had engines where the character would be able to stay stuck to any surface so long as the slope didn't go beyond 45 degrees, maybe you could implement something similar?

Still quite wonderful.

-PENCERKOFF

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2011, 11:00:57 PM »

Wow, got an installer and everything?  Neat.  Miles ahead of where you were.

I dunno, I personally don't like installers, If at all possible I prefer having a standalone exe, but it's alright. MMF is great for making install wizards...

My last idea to better your game is about your platform movement engine.  I don't know how you set it up, but it is annoying when Kaya doesn't jump when she is running downhill.  I know your engine causes her to "fall" downhill which I guess is the problem.  I've had engines where the character would be able to stay stuck to any surface so long as the slope didn't go beyond 45 degrees, maybe you could implement something similar?

At this point I should mention that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. None. I hate that she falls down slopes, but nothing I've done to try and fix it has worked. That said, I've never tried actually pinning her to the platforms, I suppose it's worth a shot. Thanks again.

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2011, 04:02:24 AM »

I'MA DONE!

I'ma go sleep now

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2011, 10:30:23 PM »

I should mention that Sojin's soundtrack for the game, including several tracks that didn't make it into the compo entry, is up on Bandcamp. It's pretty awesome stuff.

Also, I completely forgot to put any credits in-game, so it looks like I need to do a minor update tonight...

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2011, 12:33:06 AM »

I'm picking this up again now, though I'm taking my time on it. Before I finish the new game modes, I'm going to fix the player controls a little.

I'm replacing the Platform Movement Object with the Custom Platform Movement Engine Which will allow Kaya to jump while running down a slope (Currently the most annoying thing in the game) I'll also be playing around with the Advanced Direction Object to see if I can make the mushroom player able to select a mushroom by clicking near it rather than directly on it. Possibly will use this to make spores more accurate.

tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2011, 03:12:01 PM »

This is a great game! Bravo!  Hand Clap
Beautiful graphics, beautiful music, and the gameplay was fun on both sides.

We played a few times and switched parts, but the mushrooms always won, so maybe you want to give Kaya more lives to make it a bit more fair.
Also, the controls on Kaya (or maybe the level design? not entirely sure), were not 100% right, can't really put my finger on it, it could be just that Kaya couldn't jump on all the platforms which made it a bit annoying, I'm not sure though.

One last suggestion, would be to make some visual sign that hovering the mouse near the mushrooms make them grow faster (some powder particle effects, perhaps?).

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2011, 10:37:32 PM »

This is a great game! Bravo!  Hand Clap
Beautiful graphics, beautiful music, and the gameplay was fun on both sides.

We played a few times and switched parts, but the mushrooms always won, so maybe you want to give Kaya more lives to make it a bit more fair.
Also, the controls on Kaya (or maybe the level design? not entirely sure), were not 100% right, can't really put my finger on it, it could be just that Kaya couldn't jump on all the platforms which made it a bit annoying, I'm not sure though.

One last suggestion, would be to make some visual sign that hovering the mouse near the mushrooms make them grow faster (some powder particle effects, perhaps?).

Well, thank you!
I'm surprised that you found the mushrooms to always win, other feedback I've gotten was that it seemed to easy for Kaya to win. I think that once I've tightened her controls a bit, the balance will be there.
The issue with Kaya's control scheme is that the Platform Movement Object for Multimedia Fusion, was not designed for both fast-moving characters and slopes. I've found another way to do platforming that allows jumping off of slopes, but implementing it is a matter of three to eight hours of work that I've had trouble finding lately. I'll have a really honest-to goodness final version with tighter controls for both sides and two more game modes.
I like the idea of feedback for the sped up growth, I'll see about adding that.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2011, 01:25:02 AM »

Increpare, Terry Cavanagh, Sophie H and I tried this game. Unfortunately we were put off by the installer. Terribly sorry. Sad

twitter: @docky
shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2011, 06:44:01 AM »

Increpare, Terry Cavanagh, Sophie H and I tried this game. Unfortunately we were put off by the installer. Terribly sorry. Sad

Wait, so you did play the game, or didn't just because it had an installer? That's an awful reason not to play a game IMO.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2011, 07:35:34 AM »

We decided not to play it, in favour of the other 80 games, and previous negative experience with getting XNA (?) games to run on any machine, no matter how powerful.

It's okay to have an installer, it's just the only feedback we had from exposure to it. You're welcome to criticise the user (me) as being unfair.

Feedback is feedback.

twitter: @docky
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic