Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:27:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Mushrooms Hate Kaya [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Mushrooms Hate Kaya [FINISHED]  (Read 47305 times)
shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2011, 07:39:37 AM »

We decided not to play it, in favour of the other 80 games, and previous negative experience with getting XNA (?) games to run on any machine, no matter how powerful.
I this an XNA game? I don't think so, but then again I'm not really sure what that means.

It's okay to have an installer, it's just the only feedback we had from exposure to it. You're welcome to criticise the user (me) as being unfair.
Wait, so it's okay to have an installer, but the only exposure you had to the game was because you don't like installers? What?

Feedback is feedback.
"I didn't play your game" isn't really feedback. It's more like, I don't have any feedback because I didn't play.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2011, 07:46:06 AM »

Okay, please do your best to ignore me, my decision was clearly unfounded. Good luck with the competition!

twitter: @docky
shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2011, 07:50:32 AM »

Okay, please do your best to ignore me, my decision was clearly unfounded. Good luck with the competition!

Sorry, it's just that I've seen you post in a huge amount of threads, and though you mean well, I can't stand the tone you put off in the posts. Had to say something somewhere.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2011, 07:57:55 AM »

Sorry, it's just that I've seen you post in a huge amount of threads, and though you mean well, I can't stand the tone you put off in the posts. Had to say something somewhere.
That's okay, I'm sorry that I wasn't able to invest more time with each game, and it's a shame that I'm attracting your hostility for the hours I spent so far. I hope you and others are able to do the games a better service than I have.

twitter: @docky
Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2011, 08:53:13 AM »

Increpare, Terry Cavanagh, Sophie H and I tried this game. Unfortunately we were put off by the installer. Terribly sorry. Sad

Normally I hate installers too. With the music though, the zip file was getting up to 10 Mb, and I was having trouble uploading it.

The installer is just the standard MMF wizard, I've never had any problem with it. I can put up separate zips of the music and game if it will make it more accessible.

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2011, 08:55:14 AM »

Wait, so you did play the game, or didn't just because it had an installer? That's an awful reason not to play a game IMO.

It's a valid enough point, and one that's easily fixed. I don't mind

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2011, 09:07:59 AM »

We decided not to play it, in favour of the other 80 games, and previous negative experience with getting XNA (?) games to run on any machine, no matter how powerful.

It's okay to have an installer, it's just the only feedback we had from exposure to it. You're welcome to criticise the user (me) as being unfair.

Feedback is feedback.

I don't touch XNA, mostly because I'm not that smart. And this game should work well on any modern computer, There's relatively little graphical fluff.

I don't think the criticism was unfair, but I am sorry you didn't get a chance to play the game. I was only really able to get a fair impression of the at-the-same-computer games myself, but of those I think it's one of the better ones. (Not trying to be arrogant, but I wouldn't have entered it if I didn't think it was good.)

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2011, 11:28:03 AM »

Okay, so here's the standalone exe for those who shrink back in terror at the sight of an install wizard: KayaLovesMushrooms.exe (4.28 MB)

And here's the music, just unzip it into the same folder as the exe: KayaLovesMusic.zip(6.50 MB)

rococo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2011, 08:16:51 PM »

I played this game against my little sister and I kept losing miserably as the mushrooms... but it was still really really fun. Great game!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

I agree that I'd like to see some sort of visual cue that I'm speeding up the mushroom's growth, as I wasn't really sure what the minimum distance was to affect the mushroom. My little sister said she was having trouble with Kaya not working with the platforms like she wanted, but you already mentioned you were working on it.
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2011, 07:38:14 PM »

Ok, we played this game yesterday and thought it was very interesting. One of our group's favorites.

It was one of the few games that got more interesting the more we played it. We kept trying to figure out which side had an advantage and as soon as we thought we figured it out, the other side ended up winning.

Very well put together. Someone said it seemed like one of the only really "finished" games. I think what they were trying to say is it's very well polished and presented.

One of the few games with a tutorial! However, the tutorial starts well but them seems to tell you a few things all at once. That led to this self-revelation: when two dialog boxes appear at the same time, I'm not sure which I should read and I probably won't read either.

None of us were really in love with the feel of how Kaya jumps. We tried to discuss why, but didn't get anywhere. It could just be frustration from not being able to reach the higher areas of the level easily. But also, I think jumping always "feels" better when you can jump higher from holding down the button after leaving the ground (as in Mario).

It was never really clear to us if Kaya was supposed to be collecting mushrooms or spores or both. And when Kaya made progress. And how much progress Kaya had made (even though it tells you in the bottom left). And how much progress Kaya needed to win (even though it tells you (50) every time you start a game, we never registered that).

One of the few games that tried the mouse vs keyboard. I think it turned out well.

We would have loved some other levels.

Wouldn't hurt to add a replay button instead of having to return to the main menu.

Overall our group had a lot of fun with this one. Thanks!
Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2011, 10:43:51 PM »

Hey guys, I've started bashing my head into the keyboard with MMF running again, and I've got an announcement:
Kaya Loves Mushrooms 1.5!!
[/size][/b][/url]

This build makes both Kaya and the Mushrooms easier to control; Kaya can jump while running down slopes, and can also climb walls. As the mushrooms, clicking selects the nearest unit, rather than requiring you to actually click on the mushrooms.

I've also added the "Garden Wars" area control mode. It's done save for some particle effects to make it look pretty.

As always, I want you to come and break my game. Let me know if you find any stupid bugs where I should have known better. Also suggestions for features or new levels will be politely listened to, but I won't make any promises that they will be included in the final build. Which should be around shortly...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic