Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:26:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOwlboy Development
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Owlboy Development  (Read 76859 times)
Jo-Remi
Level 0

Developer on D-Pad Studio

View Profile WWW
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:02:17 AM »

Hoot to all Tiggers!

Progress on Owlboy is so rapid these days, that we thought it was time to update you all on it's development!

What is Owlboy some may ask?
It is our first project as a team, and we like to call ourselves D-Pad Studio. We are Simon S. Andersen aka. Snake(Artist/Designer), Adrian Bauer(Co-Design/Testing Manager), Jonathan Geer(Composer) and Jo-Remi(Programmer)! We've also got a squiddy little girl onboard, romancing our artist, and working our facebook page!

We have our own website, here: www.DPadStudio.com

So, what's up with Owlboy?
It's taken quite awhile to create the game, but we're closing in on the final finish line! Right now, we're finishing a demo CD, which we will throw at people during our trip to GDC San Fran 2011!

First of all, let me tell you the story behind Owlboy,

Story thus far...
Otus is a student Owl, trained by his mentor Asio. The cloak which Otus bears enables him to fly, which is quite useful in the floating world which they inhabit. This world is also inhabited by rough Sky Pirates, magical creatures and monsters so big, it's a wonder the islands they tremple on is still afloat.

Sky Pirates, Monsters, Owls, Oh my!
Yes, the main goal of Owlboy is to tell a short, meaningful and fun story of a very detailed world. All of the world's story and mysteries won't be told through dialogue or events, as these are well kept secrets. But details and hints about the world's origin is spread throughout the game, to keep explorers interested.

We also want to make this a fun and actiony platformer, with skip-able cutscenes for the gamers who are less interested in story, and more keen on getting into the adventuring.

Telling the story of Otus and his quest however, is a very important goal for us! If not the most importent-est.

Magic Creatures and a floating world?
The game has a huge array of monsters, characters and objects, here are but a few:

How Progress Coming? Soon done
Not long now. With Owlboy being developed full-time on our free-time, our days consist of eating, sleeping and working on Owlboy. We're expecting to turn a corner in April 2011, where we probably will have all content done, and playtesting and bug-fixings remaining.

Our latest mile-stone is to add all items, menu's and helpers for the release of the Owlboy Demo.

Throughout the rest of the development, we will keep this Topic updated, and describe several aspects and design choices we've done along the project, and how fun it is to work on a project like this on a small team.

Hope you like our little big project!
~ D-Pad Studio.

Ps. If you want to see more Owlboy, visit our FaceBook page, or DPadStudio.com.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 07:39:11 AM by Jo-Remi » Logged

ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 10:05:42 AM »

i just saw this thread and i

jizzed

in my pants
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 10:07:21 AM »

Welcome to TIGForums. Smiley I've been watching your game develop for a while now. Can't wait to play it! Grin

edit: Oh, and I also wanted to ask what you're using to make this game... Are you using a pre-built engine or custom?

Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 10:09:10 AM »

i've been following this for a while, im probably more excited for this than any other game in 2011

Lo
jmgandalf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 10:15:57 AM »

wow, just, wow  Epileptic

MaloEspada
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 10:21:57 AM »

nice to see it's finally getting done!

it looks absolutely stunning.
Defsan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 10:23:07 AM »

Posting in a legendary thread. Hope to see more updates soon!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 10:29:19 AM »

question: is this still xblig, or xbla/pc, or what

doesn't matter to me as i have xbox and pc, but just asking for those who don't

Chris Pavia
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 10:34:02 AM »

MY GOD, IT'S FULL OF STARS
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 10:48:30 AM »

This game makes me so, so very happy. Keep working hard, I know it'll be successful.

Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 10:52:25 AM »

Welcome to TIGForums. Smiley I've been watching your game develop for a while now. Can't wait to play it! Grin

edit: Oh, and I also wanted to ask what you're using to make this game... Are you using a pre-built engine or custom?

We're making this in XNA using our own custom engine (which oddly enough, bears some simmilarities to RPG maker.)

question: is this still xblig, or xbla/pc, or what

doesn't matter to me as i have xbox and pc, but just asking for those who don't

We're still aiming for XBLA, but it remains to be seen if we'll get a deal or not. Regardless, we can pretty much guarantee a PC release.

Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 11:00:04 AM »

Shaping up to be great, guys!

One thing: the gameplay videos miss a bit of oomph during some actions, like when Otus is carrying the green guy and he shoots at the targets. When he hits them, they just sort of...fade away in pieces. Same for when a character lands on the ground. There should be a bit more feedback in spots like that, I think. Maybe a little dust poof or something.

Apparently this is early footage though, and you guys might've already done something about that, but saying just in case Smiley
Kramlack
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 11:01:55 AM »

The art has always looked stunning, I'd love to see more of the assets in the future, can't wait for the release.

Everyone else has pretty much summed up what I could say.
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 11:05:43 AM »

We're still aiming for XBLA, but it remains to be seen if we'll get a deal or not. Regardless, we can pretty much guarantee a PC release.

That's good, I'm X-Boxless, so PC release would be nice.

PlayMeTape
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 11:11:19 AM »

You won the internet today. (Posting to keep track of updates)

Also, good luck and make sure I get a CD at GDC!  Beer!
Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 11:38:39 AM »

This looks so great, I can't wait for it. Definitely going to be successful. Perhaps the best visually attractive pixel game I've seen, or atleast one of the best. I love you Snake, you rock.  Hand Metal Right

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 12:09:33 PM »

This game has delicious pixel art as well as character designs as well of course. I'm digging the whole aesthetic. Been following this on your site for a while. Glad you've decided to make a devlog here.  Smiley
JoGribbs
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 12:16:23 PM »

I am glad to see development is picking up again. Eagerly await the final, tangible thing.
vorpaldinger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 12:51:30 PM »

Do want!!!  Kiss
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 01:24:25 PM »

So awesome. I love the whole concept of this game, the art is beautiful. Wwooo =) I agree you win the internet today. Also: the design for the guy with the book on his head and the Fu Man Chu is brilliant.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic