Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:36:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOwlboy Development
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Owlboy Development  (Read 77237 times)
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2011, 07:42:38 PM »

Every game with hats is a TF2 ripoff.
Baloniman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2011, 11:13:05 AM »

Hey Owlboy Devs!

Thought I'd chime in to share my experience with you and the fellow community. I've been keeping the lazy eye on OwlBoy throughout development and was super excited to see the demo posted yesterday on the main page of TIGSource! After cleaning my daily plate of work and venturing into the mists I sunk my teeth into OwlBoy for the first time!

Analysis -

Graphics: Simply stunning how the pixel art looks in this game. The amount of detail you've managed to cram into the environment is really really impressive! Along with this the designs of the characters, and enemies and animations are also top notch! I have to say the fish with the top hat who's there to save your progress is priceless. Love that little guy ( one small suggestion might be to put an indicator near or above him because sometimes he can be hard to notice in the pools of water.

Music and SFX: Musical tracks were nice and fitting though not very memorable. That being said it's hard to judge the overall impact of the music when you've only heard a few tracks and played a portion of the game. Music effectiveness goes hand and hand with gameplay so I'm sure after a full play through my opinion here will change. Aside from the music SFX's I found fit really well.

Gameplay: The gameplay was quite smooth and stayed enjoyable up until the very end of the demo. Unlike other people who found the level design somewhat confusing I can't say I found that at all. For the most part the demo was very straightforward and player friendly. The main issue I had when playing was figuring out the puzzle with the vase full of water and the plant. It stumped me for like 5 minutes but was rewarding to have finally figured it out. Perhaps again an indicator showing the relation to quest items could come in handy, it will lower difficulty but at least people wont get stuck for awhile and get frustrated with a puzzle.

Final Word: Even though it was just a small taste I must say that I had a blast! Good luck on the remaining work to be done and I can't wait to pick up the full version when she's ready!

JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2011, 04:32:45 PM »

1. Okay, i lost my gunner fellow by throwing him into spikes (just to see if he would die, well, he did).
And now he's gone, he's fucking gone. I load up my save in owl temple, he's till not there.
And i have no fucking clue where to find him / make him respawn / or is he gone for good?
Extremely frustrating. Especially compounded by the fact that i DO want to continue playing the game, BADLY.

2. Shop is confusing, i buy stuff, and there's no indication that the stuff was bought and what i own already. It doesn't disappear, nothing happens really.

3. With multi-monitor setup mouse is not confined to the game screen and i can accidentally click on desktop on secondary monitors minimizing game frequently. Frustrating.

Instant TileEd - draw pixel art games and export them to Tiled TMX!
Looking for artist for a CRPG!
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2011, 01:03:40 AM »

1. Okay, i lost my gunner fellow by throwing him into spikes (just to see if he would die, well, he did).
And now he's gone, he's fucking gone. I load up my save in owl temple, he's till not there.
And i have no fucking clue where to find him / make him respawn / or is he gone for good?
Extremely frustrating. Especially compounded by the fact that i DO want to continue playing the game, BADLY.

there's a key to respawn him next to you...

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
initials
Level 2

Initials

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2011, 05:56:20 PM »

Ok here's my experience.

MacBook Pro 2011 model running Windows 7. Installed fine. Xbox360 controller works great.

So install is all cool.

Playing the Game:
Looks amazing.
Plays smooth.

I don't want to comment on the game play because I can see what you are going for and it's different and nice, so it's quite cool. Keep doing what you are doing.

Initials
VFX/Games/Music
Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: September 15, 2011, 07:49:47 AM »

I don't really like the way the zoom messes up the pixel art Undecided but the game is great

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2013, 04:58:13 PM »

Ahoy everyone!  Gentleman

It's been a while. Maybe too much of a while. The team's been busy with development and kind of dropped off the radar. I decided it was time to get people back in the loop and give some proper updates.

I've considered just starting a new topic considering I'll be the one taking care of the updates, and Jo was the one that started this one. But I'm pretty sure someone would fish this one back up if I did, so here we are.

At the moment I'm just giving this thread a little jumpstart. We've spent the last year implementing a lot of things. Most notably a bunch of freeroaming maps since a lot of players noted that they wanted more freedom. This took a lot more time than enticipated though, which is why we've been in hiding for so long. Here's some art of the new areas in question:

Right now we're busy with dungeons, but if time allows it, we're going to compile a video showing all the changes we've done. I'll be updating this thread as frequently as I can. If the mods would rahter I start a new thead, I'll take care of that right away.

It's good to be back gentlemen.

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2013, 05:17:48 PM »

Glad to see this thread active again, I'll be watching it closely.
poe
« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2013, 06:24:12 PM »

Kiss
pixhead
« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »

Aaaaaaand BIG mess in my pants
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2013, 01:16:51 AM »

This one remind me of Barrel blast  Hand Metal Right
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2013, 02:33:08 AM »

Aaaaaaand BIG mess in my pants

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2013, 02:58:06 AM »

my eyes...
geepit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2013, 04:37:46 AM »

That art! WTF
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2013, 10:22:36 AM »

Don't worry about infrequent updates, just take your time, we still love this.
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2013, 11:04:33 AM »

Still amazingly beautiful.
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2013, 11:21:17 AM »

This one remind me of Barrel blast  Hand Metal Right

Not really intentional, but now you've made me want to add barrels to it...

Don't worry about infrequent updates, just take your time, we still love this.

I really appretiate that. Working on something for so long can make you lose sight of things at times.

Oh yeah. Figured I'd post what I've been working on currently. I have a particular scene that I didn't feel was quite capturing what I wanted, so I decided to add a little detail.

The piece is devided into several paralax layers, so you'll get some proper debth when you move around.

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2013, 11:53:06 AM »

oh boy oh boy oh boy I wanna play this so badly  Kiss

pixhead
« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2013, 07:05:28 PM »

I JUST GOT MY PANTS CLEAN GODDAMMIT!
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2013, 10:22:29 PM »

This is by far the prettiest-looking pixel-art game I've seen on this site.  It's looking excellent, guys!  Looking forward to what's in store from the team this year.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic