Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:51:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHack, Slash, Loot
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: Hack, Slash, Loot  (Read 53062 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2012, 04:20:11 PM »

Hey cool, I'll check this out when I'm on my other comp!

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2012, 12:53:43 AM »

HSL is now on Desura and indievania for people who prefer those outlets.

Yodhe
Level 0

Flying Lasanga

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2012, 04:46:19 AM »

Well done, looks lovely, and I hope your game's reception exceeds your expectations.

Bunker Mentality - Post Apocalyptic Squad Turn Based Strategy RPG - http://www.justanotherturn.com
Dragonmaw
« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2012, 11:15:45 AM »

Moving to Announcements.
Dakota.s
Level 0

Future Game Developer

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 29, 2012, 03:37:51 PM »

Definitely buying this.

Games are supposed to be art, and not simply a way to make money.
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »

I've played this a lot more, it's really polished and at first glance it wouldn't really appear to be the sort of game that would have it (no offense!)

I like the knight, and holy crap once you get the divine golden mace in the tomb quest you are a friggin' steamroller it's great! I was able to get something that gave me shadeform which lets you go through walls like a ghost and an awesome amulet that lets me move 2 times to everybody else's 1. I also picked up some sort of resistance boots with some spiraling circle effect. Was cool!

Quick questions:

1) Is there anyway to save your progress and come back later or do you have to die and play in one sitting?

2) When you die, is there a way to look at a list of all the gear and stuff you had on before you play again? I know a lot of roguelikes do stuff like this and I think it'd be a good addition to HSL if it doesn't exist already.

3) Is there a list of all the game's mods and what they do exactly someplace?

Again, very fun game man good job!

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2012, 02:20:53 PM »

1) Is there anyway to save your progress and come back later or do you have to die and play in one sitting?

I was wondering this myself till just now.

There's a "continue" button in the lowest right corner of the main menu.

I can't stop playing.  I'd like to be able to hover over status affects and have the item causing them flash or a short description of whether they were caused by an earlier scroll, potion or alter.  Not particularly important but it would be kind of handy.
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: January 31, 2012, 05:41:00 AM »

One more thing: I played a wizard a few times and never got a staff upgrade. ARE there any better magic staves available for stronger or different offensive magic?

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: February 03, 2012, 11:31:52 AM »

Ok, played this enough to unlock two more classes now... and terribly sorry that I must admit that I'm bored with the game.

There's too few monster types, who do too little interesting things and there's seemingly no "oh shit" monster. Combat is extremely repetitive and never do you have to use any special skills, spells or item to get out of a sticky situation (secondary weapon aside). There's too few item categories and effects, it's all just adding slightly to your stats, and when after getting to level three in a map you get a "RESET ALL STATS" item, well that's just a big middle finger to the player, imo (and it would be OK if there were other interesting things that could happen, but there only seems to be three things: stat up, stat down, stat reset).

The graphics are still fab, the UI is still slick and the presentation is tight. But with its current feature set, a game session should only last 10-15 minutes tops. There's simply not enough content to hold you interest any longer.

That's why I asked for confusion before (or any random fun things). I mean, look at Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup or even Dungeons of Dredmor. It's the absolutely multitudes of crazy random stuff in various combinations that can happen is what makes things fun to play over and over again.

For now, Hack, Slash, Loot is exactly what it sounds like and too repetitive for me to bother further with. Sad

Btw, the Amazon was a pleasant surprise, but it came too late and even that bow seems to stop working after a while.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:41:30 AM by eobet » Logged

helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2012, 10:26:49 PM »

I just played the demo. The game's pretty sweet.

One question feedback though, is there a way to auto-fight? It gets mashy when I have to click the same enemy again and again until it dies.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: February 05, 2012, 04:48:24 PM »

I've had much the same experience as eobet (except I gave it less time).

It strikes me that this game is kind of too much about explore-grinding to slowly ramp up stats plus meta-grinding to unlock new classes than it is about the things that I tend to find interesting (i.e. any kind of resource management, tactical decision-making, thinking???).

I'll admit I didn't play very far (I played for upwards of ten lives, averaging at okay length) but I never felt anything except for numbers and hitting and numbers (but... then again, the name's a dead giveaway so maybe it's my fault for not expecting that?).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 04:55:42 PM by Droqen » Logged

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: March 11, 2012, 09:51:36 AM »

The game is now available from the Mac AppStore. I've also hopefully got some other big HSL news in the coming weeks.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2012, 08:07:03 AM »

Hack, Slash, Loot is in the current Indie Royale bundle. And I should probably announce that the game will also be coming to Steam soon

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2012, 09:10:23 AM »

Congrataz on both!  Smiley

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: April 05, 2012, 03:46:16 PM »

And it's now live on Steam - http://store.steampowered.com/app/207430/

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: April 05, 2012, 03:47:43 PM »

I finally got to play this with the latest Indie Royale Bundle. It's really fun, and feels smooth and well put together. I only wish I were better at it. I've unlocked 0 classes since I started playing, heh.

CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: April 05, 2012, 03:54:59 PM »

And it's now live on Steam - http://store.steampowered.com/app/207430/

Bought it (twice) - better be fun, ass'ole.

Wizard

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: April 05, 2012, 04:50:27 PM »

I finally got to play this with the latest Indie Royale Bundle. It's really fun, and feels smooth and well put together. I only wish I were better at it. I've unlocked 0 classes since I started playing, heh.
New characters will unlock the more you play the game. They just unlock quicker if you complete quests.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: April 06, 2012, 08:39:40 AM »

Purchased!  Time to go die a bunch and unlock some characters.
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: April 08, 2012, 06:10:01 PM »

After playing Derek Yu for a a few hours and many dereks, I think I am in love with derek. Derek moves at my pace, which is sluggish and slow. However, even at the rate of the player, derek is still interesting every time I start over. I can take a break and stop and alt+tab back-in. I just really like the exploration and aesthetic. Bah, I am just loving derek. Kiss

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic