Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:14:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHack, Slash, Loot
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Author Topic: Hack, Slash, Loot  (Read 53060 times)
senorbarborito
« Reply #180 on: April 10, 2012, 04:47:15 PM »

oddball,

I wonder if this is too much to ask, but it would be really, really great if you could write two sentences outlining how the random level generation works.  I'm crap at rpg/roguelikes so I haven't seen many maps but so far I have to say the dungeons feel pretty great and varied.

it's also super cool that you made it to steam, congrats!
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: April 23, 2012, 07:34:07 AM »

I don't think a couple of sentences would cover it. I'll see about putting together a short walkthrough of the dungeon generation process.

Anyway the soundtrack by Jack Menhorn/KomradeJack is now available to download. Get it here!

And here's a hi-res of the cover by Sara Gross/twobitart for those that like that kind of thing. Clicky to embiggen.

senorbarborito
« Reply #182 on: April 23, 2012, 03:27:49 PM »

I don't think a couple of sentences would cover it. I'll see about putting together a short walkthrough of the dungeon generation process.

it would be absolutely fantastic if you found the time to do that, that's all I can say!
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: April 23, 2012, 06:38:05 PM »

Loving that cover art Kiss

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 04, 2012, 07:05:38 AM »

I just bought this game because it has Linux support and looks sweet Wizard

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 20, 2012, 03:08:50 AM »

I'm enjoying the game. It also got me to start playing Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup, so I'm in a pretty deep Rouge-like addiction right now Smiley

I was wondering, does brands like "Dragon Slayer" on weapons have any ingame effect? (They aren't listed in the How to play section.)

I've found a few visual bugs:
  • When poisoning an enemy with an arrow, the poison animation on the enemy starts before the arrow has hit.
  • In the mission "They dwell beneath" all the ladders go upwards. Which seems strange, with all the talk about going under the mountain. Except if the goal is to climb to the top of the mountain, but then that should probably be reflected in the text.
  • Scabbards look like crossbows.

It would also be nice if the game asked if you really wanted to start a new game when it is about to overwrite a game that could be be continued.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: May 20, 2012, 03:37:58 AM »

Dragon Slayer is just flavour text. It is sometimes given to weapons that do silver damage as Dragons are extremely vulnerable to silver(x4). However, weapons that have the Bane attribute do double damage against the named monster which stacks with other multipliers. So a Dragon Bane weapon would do double damage, and a Silver Bragon Bane weapon would do x8 damage. And look out for the Vorpel Blade, that will really help against dragons.

A couple of the visual effects appear slightly before the shot hits, poison as you've seen, stun, and a couple of others. I should fix that, but it wasn't too high on my list.

In They Dwell Beneath you're meant to be rising up through the mountain. I suppose I should have made that clearer in the quest blurb. I'll take a look at improving the quest text.

A few people have commented that the scabbard looks like a crossbow. That's down to my crappy pixelling skills. Sorry.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, and thanks for your feedback.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 20, 2012, 03:59:19 AM »

Ah, right, I meant bane! I just got a Silver+DragonBane sword as a Knight on the Kobold/Dragon level. Pretty sweet Evil

Unfortunately I haven't found anything with healing on it, so I'll probably die soon :/

Also: does "wooden" mean anything?

edit: the deep dwarfs are adorable!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:35:40 AM by Dacke » Logged

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: May 20, 2012, 05:30:16 AM »

Oddball, maybe share some sale stats, marketing tips, post-mortem? Would be awesome  Hand Fork Left Gomez Hand Knife Right

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: May 20, 2012, 06:50:10 AM »

I'm not sure I have any marketing tips to give, and I don't know what I'd put in a postmortem. Sales for the first four months are about 50,000 units. Which is better than I could have hoped.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: July 22, 2012, 04:08:33 AM »

Sorry to bump this old thread, but HSL got its first print review, that I know of. It's a half page review in issue 242 of PC Gamer. Needless to say finding this out made my day.

Conker534
« Reply #191 on: July 22, 2012, 04:42:41 AM »

Wow that's impressive. I'm happy for you.
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: July 22, 2012, 04:54:55 AM »

Wow that's awesome man, big congrats!  Beer!

Erifdex
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: July 22, 2012, 05:06:47 AM »

Yeah, congrats! That's one hell of an achievement! And a score of 79 too? Good job, man, you've earned it. Coffee
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: May 01, 2014, 09:14:30 AM »

Wow, has it really been two years!? Some news on this. I ported the game to iPad and Android tablets.

iPad: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id866688884?mt=8
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.DavidWilliamson.HackSlashLoot
Kindle: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JU7EPSW

If anyone grabs it for these devices I'd be interested to hear what you think, good or bad, I can take it.

Caran Elmoth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: May 03, 2014, 12:52:19 AM »

Having had a good share of fun with the desktop version I bought it on the spot (Android - Nexus 7). The fun is still there Smiley Here are a couple thoughts:

- The touch zones are a bit small on my 7'' display. This can be solved by magnifying the map, but remains true for the hud.

- On my device, every time I suspend the application I can never continue my current game. Don't know if it's a bug or it's supposed to be this way, but if it's a bug it needs to be fixed and if it's on purpose, I think you should reconsider this decision. Mobile gaming is always a "stop and go", and a dungeon session in HSL can be pretty long, so having to restart every time is a very big turn off.

Cheers! Beer!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic