Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:17:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Chu Chu Snake
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Chu Chu Snake  (Read 1712 times)
takvor
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2011, 05:24:46 PM »

Hi all!   Gentleman

Soo basically I'm using this competition as motivation to actually finish a game for once in my life.  That means my game is going to be super-simple.  I have been looking around at all the other game posts, and your guys' games are way more awesome than I can muster  Kiss. But I've gotta start somewhere, eh?

Okay, so I ended up hating my old idea.  AND THUS WAS BORN chu chu snake.  Which is chu chu rocket mixed with those snake games.

Here is a build:  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15705884/Chu%20Chu%20Snake.exe

Problem is I'm not sure how to make it multiplayer yet.  Either the second player is another snake and they each try to funnel the... blue creatures into their respective "pots", or the second player is something else and tries to kill the blue things and then they switch places and highest score wins.  But oh god there's not much time left and I've still gotta add sounds and some collision stuff and put in a scoring system and *hyperventilates*.  So it may just be the 2 snakes thing, since that would be easiest.

*********** Old stuff **********
In that spirit, my game is basically pong.  Everybody (2 - 4 players?  undecided) is on the bottom of the screen, and the ball moves parabolically.  Each time a player hits the ball, it changes to the color of another player, and that player must then hit the ball before it touches the ground, and then it changes to another color and so on.  As the game progresses, more balls are added in, increasing the chaos.  I'm not so sure on win conditions at this point, maybe a set time limit, with points gained by bouncing the ball into floating objects, and points lost by missing?  We'll see.

I've got a very basic 1-player build with just the bouncies made up for right now, and my goodness I loves me some game maker.  If you squint, you can pretend it has real art in it!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15705884/BouncyBattle.exe
************* /Old Stuff **************
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 04:28:31 PM by takvor » Logged
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 06:37:27 PM »

"You gotta start somewhere," that's my thinking too. Welcome aboard. If you add more balls bouncing around I see it as a metaphor for life: no matter how hard you try to juggle all the balls, you can't keep them all in play. You will drop some. And in the end, maybe, you can really only focus on a few.

Good luck with the project!
takvor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:15:34 PM »

Thanks for the welcome Smiley

You've pulled a very deep metaphor from my bouncy game, one that I'm afraid I cannot live up to. As such I must change my project (okay, there were other issues, like I couldn't find an acceptable movement system without either a run button or analog input, one of which would've complicated the controls, the other just restricts the game to players with gamepads).  I just had too many balls.  Erm, I mean, I had to let one of my balls drop.  Hm.  This metaphor worked a lot better when you were using it.

That being said, new game now, something with snakes and little blue blobs.  It is my life's work (of the past couple weeks)!  It has no goal yet, but you can... move around and.. trap little blue blobs inside the snake (it's not a bug, it's a feature!  Embarrassed [okay it's a bug])
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic