Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:10:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 334075 times)
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1000 on: February 01, 2015, 04:27:20 AM »

they are two rare and hard to obtain souls, available somewhere if you look hard enough!

vladharsan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: February 01, 2015, 11:10:09 PM »

Love it! did you work alone at this game?
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1002 on: February 01, 2015, 11:21:55 PM »

Yes. I occasionally get help with programming things I don't understand how to do, but everything else has generally been solo

whoopwhoop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: February 04, 2015, 02:16:58 AM »

I can't download from the Mediafire (the page won't load properly for me) link but I'd really like to play your game, please could you upload it to a different host?
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1004 on: February 04, 2015, 02:36:05 AM »

Sure thing, not sure why mediafire would be acting up like that.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1CcgUjQHp8cMkdCYmF6c3NVOGc/view?usp=sharing here, does this work?
(click the download link at the top, I think?)

whoopwhoop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: February 04, 2015, 03:17:18 AM »

That link works fine, I'm downloading it now. Thank you so much :D
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1006 on: February 04, 2015, 03:18:18 AM »

You're welcome! I hope you have fun!
(Also, I just updated the demo on the first page, everybody!)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 08:14:17 AM by Rakugaki-Otoko » Logged

NinjAttack81
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: February 05, 2015, 07:54:42 PM »

I just played through the updated demo, and I am still buzzing from it!  The many treats and surprises presented in the later stages left me both giddy and slack-jawed.  The wonderful and lively backdrops in each level, the variety of unique enemies, the many thrilling boss battles...aagh, this game!!

I cannot wait to see what awaits Jack and friends beyond the demo!  Excellent work so far!  Smiley

P.S.  That midboss theme was awesome then.  Now it's WOW. :D
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1008 on: February 05, 2015, 08:21:18 PM »

Thank you very much! I'm glad you liked them! I'm also happy to hear someone noticed the updated miniboss theme! I realized it's a track you hear multiple times in the game, and sometimes for a few minutes, so it needed an extension.

Phasesaber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1009 on: February 05, 2015, 10:47:44 PM »

It looks like a cross between Soul Eater, Sonic, and Kirby.  Epileptic

Mainly a Java coder, though I dabble in websites.<br />https://github.com/Phasesaber
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1010 on: February 06, 2015, 02:35:26 AM »

I'm not familiar with what Soul Eater is, unfortunately, but Sonic and Kirby are two of the bigger influences, yeah. thanks!

critic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: February 06, 2015, 03:26:06 PM »

This game is really impressive and a lot of fun, but it has a few small problems that prevent it from being great. Here's some things I feel the game really needs:

1. Variable jump height. Right now you jump to the same height regardless of how long you hold the jump button. Every great platformer has variable jump height and for good reason

2. Jump during attacks. I noticed that when you attack on the ground you can't jump immediately after. There is really no reason for this, and it feels pretty awkward.

3. Jump buffering. Typically in platformers if you press jump and are not on the ground you will automatically jump upon landing if you pressed jump within a few frames. Super Mario World allows 4 frames of buffering I believe. This is very important because without it you will miss a jump entirely if you pressed the jump button even one frame early. It's hard to tell if there's any jump buffer in the game right now but it felt like there wasn't.

These are fairly easy to add, but make a huge difference.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1012 on: February 06, 2015, 11:30:07 PM »

Thank you for the feedback!
I thought I did a decent job of making the game never need variable jump height. There arent any places where you need to jump less than the maximum height. also the second and third boss give permanent abilities that affect your jumps.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the second one. there shouldn't be any time when your attack makes you unable to jump. Jack's scythes are an entirely separate object from his body/feet, so nothing they do should interrupt each-other. Can you tell me any certain places this happened?

ashpd
Level 1

Umm... Hello!

View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: February 07, 2015, 06:05:15 AM »

Fantastic demo Kiss. Bee Castle is gorgeous - I really like how it designed. And "Baleen Meridian" is so cool too. But there are some problems with "Meridian Reactor". Jack must be equipped with shield to defend himself from small projectiles. But big blue projectiles can be easily erased by shield too. So every time when big projectile have been fired, I must move Jack somewhere to let that projectile to fly forward. And the hitbox of Meridian Reactor is sooo small - most of the projectiles were destroyed by hitting the metal part of the boss. By the way, looks like the mask of big projectiles is too large - sometimes they were destroyed just before touching the shield. Well, I used shield+lazer, so I was completely invincible, but this battle lasted for about 7-8 minutes. It was not challenging at all, just... frustrating? Maybe it would be better to delete that small guns, so player can be focused on the big ones?

And about the web-jumping on the "Canopy Hopping". Jumping on the web is a nice idea, but "just jumping to the right" is quite boring. I have some idea:

1. Shows to player how to jump
2. Some unmoving foes/obstacles that player must destroy.
3. Moving undestroyable things (something like a spikeball on the one of the first levels).
...or something like that.
Anyway, I was happy to play a new demo. Nice work Gentleman!
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1014 on: February 07, 2015, 06:23:08 AM »

Thank you! Im glad you liked the bee castle. You dont need to have the shield to defend against the projectiles- you can just move out of the way. I felt like the smaller guns are needed because the fight is really boring without them, just waiting around for the main guns and all, I guess? I'm still working on the boss clearly, it was one of the last things I added before releasing that demo, so it's not quite finished yet. Shield+laser has a pretty big hitbox, due to how it's reflecting ability works.
As for your suggestions on the spider web part, that's some good advice! I was wondering what I should do with that room, it was also one of the last things I added before releasing the demo, so it's still unfinished. Thank you for the feedback!

whoopwhoop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: February 08, 2015, 10:08:57 AM »

I'm having some problems with the game crashing  :/

First it was with the fossil boss that chases you, but I managed to get lucky and get it to not crash one time and get past the boss.

I'm now having problems with the dragon boss called "Samuel". The game always crashes for me on this boss making it impossible to continue. It's particularly annoying that the game won't allow me to save before this level meaning that every time I restart the game after crashing I have to go through the spaceship level before the dragon boss (the one where you destroy the control panels to open the doors).

Does anyone know how to have the game not crash on the dragon boss?
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1016 on: February 08, 2015, 04:53:56 PM »

done and done

and @whoopwhoop, unfortunately I dont know what could be causing that. I hope someone can give you a solution though. If it helps at all, change the game's difficulty to easy mode in the options screen (and you have to start a new game for that to change of course) and it saves after every stage, and enemies/bosses have less health (and bosses dont change their attacks at half-health) but it might help just with not having to go through the starship stage over and over again when it crashes for you. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1017 on: February 08, 2015, 11:22:32 PM »

I just finished this sprite for a baddie, and I'm really happy with how it turned out

ashpd
Level 1

Umm... Hello!

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: February 09, 2015, 10:03:49 AM »

Whoa! He looks really cool. Is that an ordinary foe or some kind of midboss?
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1019 on: February 09, 2015, 05:31:40 PM »

ordinary enemy, it will only appear on one stage though

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic