Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:54:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 333785 times)
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1240 on: August 04, 2015, 06:01:36 AM »

Yes, please do, since I'm having trouble even understanding what you meant.

banannaman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: August 04, 2015, 06:29:49 AM »

this is what happens when i transition to the end of the stage

i guess again let me know if you need more clarification on how i got this to happen, i was trying to avoid spoilers as much as i could.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:58:28 PM by banannaman » Logged
Shilag
Level 0

Your average Youtube LPer

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: August 04, 2015, 11:40:39 AM »

I've been playing some more of the demo, and I'm running into a crashing issue now,
I'm not sure if you already know of it.

I believe the level I'm on is called Wide Open Spaces (after the Dragon level) and I've crashed three times on the miniboss (wolf thing) and twice on the Pachinko kinda thing in the next screen, always when I kill them/one of the hands, I believe. I've been using both the boomerang+speed and bomb+bullet/bomb+boomerang, so I don't know if the weapons have anything to do with it.

I'm on windows 8.1, if that makes any difference.

Edit: Tried a couple more times. Always crashes when killing the pachinko enemies. I tried running past them, but accidentally killed one near the end and it crashed again. So there's definitely something with those enemies. Tongue
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:15:05 PM by Shilag » Logged
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1243 on: August 04, 2015, 12:01:36 PM »

I wonder if it's because that stage has so many enemies. Possibly the most out of any in the demo.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1244 on: August 04, 2015, 08:54:33 PM »

Not sure if I said that before but this looks like a SNES game made by Konami in the 90's but only released now. Hopefully this is what you were going for.

Anyway, great job Smiley

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1245 on: August 05, 2015, 11:03:17 PM »

@banannaman ahh I figured out what went wrong, it's due to the demo exits being different, I had misplaced an exit there. I've finally gotten that fixed now, simple mistake on my part.
@shilag, I see, I havent heard of that miniboss crashing the game yet, though I know about the red machine enemies in the next room. Due to a mistake I didnt realize, they will crash the game 100% of the time for some people, so try to avoid them, sorry about that! I've fixed it since then. To explain to you and Gunswordfist, that crashes the game for some people because I foolishly didnt realize that killing that enemy releases a lot of those gumballs, but every gumball plays a sound when it appears, meaning a dozen of the same sound are being played at the same exact time, which crashes the game for people with specific computers from what I'm told.

@Tuba, yes! thank you.

Now for some new small updates:
These little corn enemies from the early parts of the game now have an "early" version. The fully grown versions now give the yellow ability (which makes a whole lot more sense)

(they also explode into popcorn kernels when killed now)

As for this new shop item, I've been making a good amount of progress on it in the past day or so:

It's usable in-game now, has 8 shots, and freezes any normal enemy in place indefinitely for right now

The MegaMagic Dude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1246 on: August 06, 2015, 03:17:34 AM »

I just discover your game and I have to say that I'm in love with the reaper!
I'm downloading the demo right now. It looks amazing! The animation is so smooth and the characters are very lovely too!
It seems to be a very challenging game and tricky, doesn't it? Wink

i'm going to play it right now!

Congrats pal!

Visit our devlog!

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1247 on: August 06, 2015, 05:45:20 AM »

Thank you! I hope you enjoy playing it, and I'm sorry for the bugs you'll encounter.

Meanwhile, I've fully implemented the new item here, and I'm happy with the results so far.
hitting an enemy with it will cause the enemy to transform into this being that can't hurt you.

(< better image of what the being looks like fully transformed)

I'm trying to think of things that this new being could do, or be used for. Some suggestions so far have been to let it follow Jack around until a soul appears and it will eat the soul and poof into some sort of prize pertaining to the soul, A health item container, a "mix" ability like in Kirby. If anyone here would like to make suggestions, I'll take them into account as well, though I can't promise I'll put any of the suggestions in the game, I will consider each though.

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1248 on: August 07, 2015, 07:01:47 PM »

I know you make the music with PxTone, but how are you making the sound effects?

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1249 on: August 07, 2015, 07:24:05 PM »

I know you make the music with PxTone, but how are you making the sound effects?
same, using pxtone. For a lot of them, I set the tempo to 400 (the max) and work on sounds like that, using the instruments at my disposal.

koutetsusteel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1250 on: August 07, 2015, 08:16:41 PM »

@shilag, I see, I havent heard of that miniboss crashing the game yet, though I know about the red machine enemies in the next room. Due to a mistake I didnt realize, they will crash the game 100% of the time for some people, so try to avoid them, sorry about that! I've fixed it since then. To explain to you and Gunswordfist, that crashes the game for some people because I foolishly didnt realize that killing that enemy releases a lot of those gumballs, but every gumball plays a sound when it appears, meaning a dozen of the same sound are being played at the same exact time, which crashes the game for people with specific computers from what I'm told.

I actually had crashing issues on that miniboss. I just tried to stay on the right-hand side of him and it seemed to work. Also yeah... killing the gumball (accidentally typed gunball. Sounds like 'murica) machines causes the game to crash.

banannaman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: August 08, 2015, 06:47:43 AM »

is there any way to change sound levels in game? it's hard to talk on skype while playing this game sometimes.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1252 on: August 08, 2015, 03:46:50 PM »

I believe you can at the title screen options.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1253 on: August 11, 2015, 11:43:38 PM »

new cutscene graphics I've been working on tonight.

@koutetsusteel, hm, I'll have to check that miniboss and see what possibly is making it do that. It must be something to do with some sort of sound or object not understanding what it's supposed to do when you kill one of the hands(?)

@banannaman, sorry there isnt a way to adjust the sound. Maybe you can lower it's volume manually in your volume mixer? Should I make the music a bit quieter?

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1254 on: August 14, 2015, 07:41:19 PM »

Kiss

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1255 on: August 14, 2015, 09:02:49 PM »

some small updates here, health pickups look like a heart inside a bubble now

Also I've been working in the past few days to think of new forms for the hat to take, I'm planning on almost every combination to have. I opened up an image and drew out every ability combination, and drew in a small concept image for every hat (for this image, I took the layer off that shows all of the hats, to avoid spoiling them all)

I've been putting them into the game pretty quickly, I only have 14 more to sprite and put into the game.
here's one (for what's essentially a joke combo)

I feel happy about how these are turning out, it makes each ability feel a bit more original from the others when you catch a hat now.

Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: August 15, 2015, 12:25:20 AM »

I think I liked the previous heart container more, I feel it popped out more from the background Smiley
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1257 on: August 15, 2015, 12:34:23 AM »

I agree with you. I'm working on making it flash when it's animated, and help stand out more. I didnt like that the previous one looked just like the ability icons, I noticed it kept confusing first-time players (plus the design was uninspired)

banannaman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: August 15, 2015, 09:43:47 AM »

i don't think it's that big of a deal to just use volume mixer so in game volume i think is fine, also got my first partner yesterday and it's amazingly fun to use.

edit: when i was looking for stuff again in training grounds i glitched into a ceiling area

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 01:52:12 AM by banannaman » Logged
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1259 on: August 15, 2015, 09:46:05 AM »

Ah thats good then. And hey nice job getting one! I'll tell you that's difficult to do in the demo, since the stages don't reach to the end, and the majority of the partners aren't possible to complete. I think only one or two are actually obtainable.

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic