Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:10:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 333978 times)
godsavant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: August 08, 2012, 05:16:21 PM »

I've only made it a bit farther, but if you read the buglist you'll understand why.

BUGS/GLITCHES

-On occasion, Continuing the game will result in Jack appearing to only have one Soul slot; however, he can still pick up a second, which will appear on the HUD in it's usual position (although the surrounding slot will not). If this occurs, Jack also cannot drop whatever ability(s) he picks up in the phantom second slot, instead accumulating them and their corresponding combo abilities in an order I cannot discern. In my particular case, Jack had the sword from the Boomerang + Shield combo (but not shield or helmet), the riot shield and gas cloud from Gas + Shield, and the bouncing bullets from Boomerang + Bullet. Pressing Attack produced all three attacks at once. The glitch persists upon finishing the level, but the second Soul slot returns, and can hold an additional soul. Souls can also then be ejected as per usual, although the souls appear stacked right on top of each other, and ejecting the second soul does not seem to remove the additional combo abilities. This glitch is fixed upon dying, persists across saving and restarting the game.

-On occasion, in the level First Tree, allowing the Speed upgrade to disappear results in the Speed enemy instantly respawning. This happened in conjunction with the glitch above.

-On occasion, the game will save after dying and exiting a level - in my case, Vantage Point.

-On occasion, the Save sound effect will play in the middle of a level - in my case, after exiting the Methuselah corridor.

-Relating to a glitch in my previous post, sometimes Continuing will spawn Jack even in an intermediate screen of a level - in my case, right at the Methuselah chase/battle, without the opening screen.

-On occasion, shielding against a walking enemy on a ledge slightly above Jack causes the enemy to rapidly collide with the shield while slowly moving forward, possibly walking off the ledge and 'on top of' Jack, where there is no physical platform.

FEEDBACK
-Starting with the Methuselah boss, the sections after miniboss fights can prove very frustrating, having to go through another half of the level with whatever health you have left from what's sure to have been a grueling fight. I don't mind gameplay after the miniboss, but the post-boss portions shouldn't be harder than pre-boss.

-The foreground clouds in Vantage Point are a nice touch, but they look strange because they don't move at all.

-The level Vantage Point isn't very visually appealing, as the background and platforms look cut-and-pasted without much sense of environment. Is it supposed to be on a mountain?

-Not sure if this was intentional, but it is very easy to 'farm' the spewing cactus at the beginning of Seismic Activity for gems and cash. It's actually very convenient, to have a safe source of money for Saves after each level, but you'd know better than I.

REPLIES

-it has to be repetitive, to save space. it's a very short loop. and yes, it sounds different on the second room. first foom: waterfall draining into a body of water, second room: waterfall with no bottom. therefore it sounds different. I can make it softer sounding, though.

Hm, that's actually a great touch. I guess it was because the second loop sounded like the first one cut in half, so maybe use one with a different pitch or texture.

-Why do you keep pressing the escape key in the first place? That's always been the... well, "escape" key to me. oh well, I made that another pause key, with two escape key presses making the game quit.

I press Escape to pause because that's traditionally the Pause button in PC gaming. But since this is a long-lost Super Nintendo game, I dunno... Smiley

-wait, which kamikaze enemies? The crows from the beginning of the game are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm more referring to the rockets that fly up and explode; granted, I don't mind a piƱata shower of goodies, but it makes it hard to tell what's their exploding shots and what's loot.

-the cutscene boomerang guy is a different sprite, though, since he's slouched and bleeding. and he DOES actually have a tell. once he sees Jack, there's a little flicker next to his helmet, and he stands still for a moment. Does that not come across?
the gas enemy, sure I can put in something for him.

Hmm, I caught the standing-still thing, but not the flicker. My fault, but when I'm mashing the attack key to stunlock him I'm not exactly watching whether there's a glimmer on his helmet. I'd prefer something more discernible.
-------------------------
I didn't say this last time, but you're doing a bang-up job with this game so far. Any game of this scale is bound to be rough around the edges.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 05:33:46 PM by godsavant » Logged

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 08, 2012, 09:40:43 PM »

I've only made it a bit farther, but if you read the buglist you'll understand why.

BUGS/GLITCHES

-On occasion, Continuing the game will result in Jack appearing to only have one Soul slot; however, he can still pick up a second, which will appear on the HUD in it's usual position (although the surrounding slot will not). If this occurs, Jack also cannot drop whatever ability(s) he picks up in the phantom second slot, instead accumulating them and their corresponding combo abilities in an order I cannot discern. In my particular case, Jack had the sword from the Boomerang + Shield combo (but not shield or helmet), the riot shield and gas cloud from Gas + Shield, and the bouncing bullets from Boomerang + Bullet. Pressing Attack produced all three attacks at once. The glitch persists upon finishing the level, but the second Soul slot returns, and can hold an additional soul. Souls can also then be ejected as per usual, although the souls appear stacked right on top of each other, and ejecting the second soul does not seem to remove the additional combo abilities. This glitch is fixed upon dying, persists across saving and restarting the game.

Jack gets 2 soul slots later on in the game, though the game has a neat hidden 'feature' where jack can have more than one soul on one slot(1 slot can have bullet and cutter, the other can have gas and shield).
this is an old 'feature' that made me love this game even more for the mix and match of combo abilities getting multiplied by the third or fourth soul.
Also there now enemies that will just knock your souls right out so a minor issue if you have 2 souls, huge pain if you become a walking tank with a chainsaw and end up losing everything mid level. The bomb error report is fixed so it's safe to pick up that soul and become more powerful.

I haven't tested if that old boss one shots you but I found out that the gear headquarters has a sweet spot that will insta kill you if you stay on the ledge near the first minecart track too long.

oh and

-I've been thinking of making the gas ability damage all enemies. I guess I tried something different with enemy weaknesses, but nobody seems to like it. It was a dumb idea to begin with. (Why do you need to kill the mushroom that's inside the wall? It's not a threat)

I'm fine with the enemy weakness being their drop for gas types lets me take a breather while cutting a path to the next level. Though I see his issue being just using the gas soul on a 1 soul slot jack where the enemies get a straight immunity than taking half damage.  

You can save up to 6 times on the frog boss after that you need to go to the store to buy saves. my motto for this game is "Jack is glass with 2 souls, becomes a glass cannon with 6. also the game will be happy to knock them out of your hands then kill you while you scrabble them back into your slots."

edit: Beat the game and notice there still that bit where you get flung into a empty room with no controls.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:23:19 PM by Rumrusher » Logged
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: September 03, 2012, 02:42:54 AM »

Whew, sorry again about the long absence everyone. I've been getting very sick with the seasons, and I've also had a lot of work piled on top of me, and other projects I've been working on, so I haven't had a lot of time to work on the game much. I have read and fixed the majority of the problems listed by people above, and I always appreciate the feedback.
Here are some sheets of sprites I've made in the past couple of days.

(most of these already added into game)
(already added into game)

I know this doesn't make up for my long absences in between updates, but I hope it's at least pretty to look at. Please forgive me.

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 05, 2012, 02:37:12 PM »

Wait are you making a hidden Visual novel bonus level?
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: September 05, 2012, 05:18:38 PM »

No. I assume you're referring to the face sprites. Those are background parts in a stage.

ink.inc
« Reply #385 on: September 05, 2012, 06:53:46 PM »

shame
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: September 06, 2012, 09:19:33 PM »

I've been working on background assets and fixing background parts recently. Also, fixing sprites and making new stages. here are some screenshots.

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 06, 2012, 09:28:55 PM »

This game looks amazing :O

I know this is pretty much impossible to predict but do you have any idea when you might be finished with this game?

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: September 06, 2012, 09:29:55 PM »

Thank you!
I have no idea, honestly. I'm working on it as hard as I can, but there is still a lot to do.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: September 07, 2012, 06:06:50 AM »

this looks great, also: did I just notice an hommage to Chelnov?
You should put this on greenlight if it's not already there

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
godsavant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: September 07, 2012, 10:23:52 AM »

this looks great, also: did I just notice an hommage to Chelnov?
You should put this on greenlight if it's not already there

Given that:

A.)This game is free
B.)It's built on proprietary software
C.)There is a $100 fee to submit to Steam Greenlight

There's not much point.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: September 07, 2012, 12:29:24 PM »

Chelnov? Huh, the name doesn't ring a bell. What reminded you of it?

And yes, as godsavant pointed out, there's no point to me putting it there.

If people absolutely want to donate money to me, I'll set up a paypal or something, but this game will never be sold for money. I might even put a small message at the start of the game warning that it's never to be sold.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: October 02, 2012, 04:08:39 AM »

I'm taking a break from working on bonus stages to make the game's prologue cutscene that explains the story and everything.

I apologize for the width of this image. I was working on all of this in MS Paint, and put it onto photobucket without altering anything else.

I've been working on these cutscene elements for two days straight, and I feel I should at least show the devlog that I'm still working hard.

Conker534
« Reply #393 on: October 02, 2012, 05:56:30 PM »

Very pretty Smiley
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: October 03, 2012, 04:45:22 AM »

This is awesome Cheesy
Jack in his office reminds me of the intro in Grim Fandango

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: October 03, 2012, 11:54:51 PM »

Ahh, thank you both!
I have never played Grim Fandango, but I do know that it stars a skeleton man.
Also, I'm about 95% finished animating this prologue, and I'm thinking of making a quick YouTube video of it as a teaser. I need to get the voice acting done for it first, though.

edit: I've finished the cutscene, suffered a setback. My camstudio had some sort of malfunction, and refuses to record video anymore. I'm trying to find a way to record this, but it's not really all that important. If anything, you'll just be able to see it once I finish the game.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 04:36:57 AM by Rakugaki-Otoko » Logged

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: October 05, 2012, 08:57:30 PM »

Alright! Finally finshed editing together the game's intro. Not too shabby for having to use Camstudio, Audacity, and Windows Movie Maker to cut it all together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_7IcpAEilU&feature=youtu.be

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 06, 2012, 01:10:58 AM »

Wait the more than two souls selected bug got removed? Aw man most of my fun was just roaming through the game murdering the enemies and growing in power... Then losing it from a bad jump or too many screw ups and having to do it all over again. Nice Intro left a comment there that is really similar to this post.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: October 06, 2012, 01:14:12 AM »

Yes, I saw and replied to it. I'm sorry, but it's ideal that I have absolutely 0 glitches and bugs in my game.

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 06, 2012, 01:45:15 AM »

Yes, I saw and replied to it. I'm sorry, but it's ideal that I have absolutely 0 glitches and bugs in my game.
Oh well I guess I just have to hope for something like it to be place in instead, like a soul equip upgrades on top of the life increase from bonus stages that if you get just adds a tab that opens to show which of the 10 souls you have on you, allows you to suck in another soul. This kinda means to get all ten souls equip you need to beat about 10 levels. though I wonder if you did something about "beating more bonus levels drops you back to 3 hp and unable to get more if you beat another bonus level" oddity?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic