Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1036571 Posts in 41847 Topics- by 33468 Members - Latest Member: thrash

August 27, 2014, 01:08:26 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsJack the Reaper - SNES-inspired platformer (New demo and trailer)
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 59
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper - SNES-inspired platformer (New demo and trailer)  (Read 94714 times)
godsavant
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #510 on: April 29, 2013, 06:45:25 AM »

-As in previous builds, running into the sides of certain blocks can cause you to become trapped, rapidly performing the landing & falling animation w/dust cloud. This can be fixed by backing up and normally isn't a problem, except when it occurs in auto-scolling levels like Power Surge.
Ah, this has been a persistent problem for myself, programming-wise, since I have no idea why it's caused. It obviously shouldn't happen, yet it does. I'll have to keep looking for a way to fix this. Any specific places that this occurs where it does cause a big problem? I can do a cheap fix for those, at least.

Heh, I mentioned Power Surge because that's where it happened for me. It was during a rather steep jump up and to the left of one of the longer, purple platforms.

-Sometimes, the "Q to skip scene" prompt does not appear during cutscenes. This sometimes makes them unskippable, other times not.
Ah, that would be my fault for being forgetful and not putting that prompt in a cutscene, I'll look through each of them and see which ones I've forgotten to place in. my bad.

Actually, what I meant is that sometimes, a cutscene that previously had the prompt doesn't upon later playthroughs. This happened specifically in the starting cutscene of Wide Open Spaces (I ended up revisiting it a lot for the Laser power), where the prompt appeared and worked properly the first time, but the next time I played it, it didn't appear, nor did Q skip the scene. The third time, the prompt remained absent but Q did work, and every time after that, everything worked properly.

-Even after changing the difficulty to Easy, the game defaults back to Normal each time I restart the game. Considering that quitting the game is the only way to return to the main menu, this seems like an oversight.
Hmm. That would be a big problem. What do you mean here, that it defaults? If you start a game on easy, then save and quit, and then continue, it should still be on easy when you continue, regardless of what you see on the options, once you start a game, it shouldn't ever change again. When you continue, do the map stages actually change back to their normal colors, or are they still all yellow?

Ah, my fault then. I changed my Normal game to Easy a few levels in, once I got tired of grinding that freaking cactus for pennies at a time. As long as I changed it back to Easy, it seemed to work properly, at least until I got past Wide Open Spaces (as I mentioned), whereupon level saving became inconsistent.

-The purple cyclops' tackle ability is terrifying and a great game mechanic, but its ability to knock loose your powers can cause some strange behavior, such as Jack retaining visual aspects of powers or becoming frozen in the red-X'ed 'HIT!' pose for several seconds.
Ah, I know what could be causing the retaining of the visuals, could you tell me which abilities that's occurred with, to help save me the time of having to search through all possibilities? Also I somewhat understand why Jack sometime's freezes, but I've been stumped on how to fix it, I'll try out some things to see if I can get that under control.

As pictured, getting tackled resulted in me retaining the Shield power, with Jack still holding it out upon ducking (never tested if it worked). This was all probably under the influence of the three-power glitch at the time.

As for the freezing, I recall that I was backed up against a wall when the cyclops hit me that time, so that might have caused an issue with collision.

-Finally, my chief complaint stems from many of the obelisk levels (and the whole game, to a degree) relies on platforming like this to cover vertical distance:
[rest of complaint]
I understand your frustration, and I apologize for it. I agree that that isn't good, and I already know of a fix that would work without me having to restructure any stages in a big way. What if those platforms were all able to be passed through from the bottom, so that you never had to worry about hitting your head above? I think I'll replace every single instance of that situation with pass-through-able platforms to avoid this frustration in the future.

That would fix the biggest problem with those sections. Perhaps designate one kind of block as "jump-through-able", just as a visual signal?

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 01, 2013, 10:49:19 AM »

hmm Godsavant seem to give me a case of dajavu but yeah Shield holding more souls is a glitch that spark from shield though I need to test that on pre shop demos of the game to see if it's the shop fault.
I like to report that jack when attacking while swapping souls leads to his attack altering itself to suit the soul being switch.
similar to combining 3 souls together.
example : throwing cutter blade out and on the return arch of cutter blade picking up gas soul makes the cutter blade change into the gas cutter blade which then itself farther.
I assume this means jack can pull neat tricks that extend moves by swapping around souls at a split second.
though doing so only would make a practical sense if there a puzzle that unlocks a bonus that needs you to do this other than that a neat trick.
I have a question did you fix the level design in the penultimate level where you don't have to do a leap of faith every jump at the start?
godsavant
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #512 on: May 01, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »

Rumrusher, I don't mean to offend, but is English your native language? Your grammar is such that I can barely understand what you're saying.

Rakugaki-Otoko
Level 7

anti-minimalist

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 01, 2013, 06:51:56 PM »

Already working on the complaints listed.
Now, Jack can look up and down.

ubiquitousgamer
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #514 on: May 01, 2013, 07:38:18 PM »

captivating audio/visuals and challenging demo so far. i had a few questions/comments.

after starting the game, the (epic, btw) cut-scene has spoken dialogue. how or are you limiting the amount of spoken sound files to stay true to 16-bit games?

boss: will you in the final version think of allowing players to fight the boss again after dying instead of starting all the way over? i kinda get that you'd want to get a spirit to make the fight easier. but the first boss takes a long time to get back to.

the first couple of stages feel way too short. the rectangular platforms also look very out of place with the beach background. the forest backgrounds and the trees-as-platforms work better together.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 01, 2013, 09:14:04 PM »

boss: will you in the final version think of allowing players to fight the boss again after dying instead of starting all the way over? i kinda get that you'd want to get a spirit to make the fight easier. but the first boss takes a long time to get back to.

So did you skip the shop or are you stuck on the plant boss? because the first one there's a save option in the shop for $300 normal,  $100 easy. Second one there's a save function for easy mode though if your stuck on that boss is a mini boss and the demo chock full of them that pop up in stages.
Rakugaki-Otoko
Level 7

anti-minimalist

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 02, 2013, 01:28:55 AM »

Thank you for the comments and questions.
I don't plan on limiting the dialogue quality to match true-to-16bit. Unless you mean not having dialogue everywhere, in which case yes, I would. The only other voice clips planned to be in the game are clips said by the bosses, main characters making vocalizations during cutscenes to imply speech, and maybe some enemies or other things having little quotes. Something similar to the Goemon Games on SNES, or Megaman Zero 1~4.

I would think you're referring to a miniboss which appears mid-stage in many stages. There are only a handful of actual bosses and they have a stage dedicated to fighting them, one room.

I've been thinking of extending the first bunch of stages, actually, since they are ridiculously short. Also, you're right! I should change those boxes to be something more natural, they really do stand out. They were made to be stand-in tiles that I was going to replace later, but at some point, I forgot about that. I'll have those changed asap.

ubiquitousgamer
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #517 on: May 02, 2013, 05:48:12 AM »

i meant the plant miniboss with the girl face on the flower(?). i fight it after two longer platforming zones.

When I chose 日本語 I was just expecting to see a text-change. That was neat to hear the spoken language.

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 02, 2013, 08:47:54 AM »

i meant the plant miniboss with the girl face on the flower(?). i fight it after two longer platforming zones.

When I chose 日本語 I was just expecting to see a text-change. That was neat to hear the spoken language.

The one mini boss that stopped half the testers from seeing the rest of the game during it's early pre-demo days? I should have asked for a level select or a debug mode back then. Shrug Oh another way to beat her is to have shield soul then hold down to duck(which places the shield in front of you) and attack. That way her gas and seed projectile attacks will be blocked by your shield and you can attack with no problem.
godsavant
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #519 on: May 04, 2013, 08:37:25 AM »

Rakugaki-otoko, I don't know if you've seen this, but GamingFTL posted an Alpha Watch video of the earlier demo back in January (then again, I assume you're Googling, Youtubing and Twitter mentioning your game on a daily basis). He not very goooood at the game, but he seems to thoroughly enjoy the game, and hypes for it.

Rakugaki-Otoko
Level 7

anti-minimalist

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 04, 2013, 06:01:04 PM »

Wow! Thank you for notifying me of that, I really haven't been searching my game or anything of mine on google, so I had no idea this was here. I'm very glad that he seemed to have such fun with it!

In other news, Im already hard at work extending the first group of stages to be longer, and adding some enemies unique to the beach stages. Also some more natural looking beach objects, the boxes were really out of place, as ubiquitousgamer  said.

ashpd
Level 0

Umm... Hello!

View Profile Email
« Reply #521 on: May 06, 2013, 08:25:58 AM »

Still trying to beat an old demo. Atlas is defeated ( Evil) and Tenshi was really easy - I killed her from second attempt by shooting bullets+gas. But mission "Mare Foecunditatis" is really hellish. I trying to beat it during three days but... Damn, that's really hard - thorns everywhere, killing drops, pits. And moreover there are three rooms ! Looks like it's one of the last missions EpilepticHand Joystick

Cursed Toby devlog

Space Rumble on Desura:
beetleking22
Level 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #522 on: May 06, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »

I tried demo and I really like it... The gameplay is so smooth and I love it very much!! this game is not hard without jump controller.. those controller kills me everytime! Why you dont sell this game?? You really deserve  Hand Money Left
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:59:40 AM by beetleking22 » Logged
Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

Feminism is back!

View Profile Email
« Reply #523 on: May 06, 2013, 10:56:18 AM »

Now on kotaku: http://kotaku.com/jack-the-reaper-is-a-zany-looking-snes-style-game-where-493146758

ILLOGICAL, random guy on internet, do not trust (lelebĉcülo dum borobürükiss)
Dr. Cooldude
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 06, 2013, 10:59:39 AM »

Wow! Congratulations! Beer!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 59
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic