Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:58:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 333806 times)
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #740 on: January 29, 2014, 01:39:23 AM »

I've been playing with the idea of most enemies dropping and planting a gravestone when killed. Any thoughts on this?
(this isnt the mystery feature mentioned before, but it is something new)

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 31, 2014, 05:15:23 AM »

Cool. It would be cool if each gravestone would get randomly-generated epitaph. Anyway, will this be free or paid game? OP doesn't make this clear.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #742 on: January 31, 2014, 06:03:03 AM »

They are actually randomly generated. Also each genus of enemy has a differently shaped/styled gravestone.

This game will be free. but I do accept donations if people really want to pay.
Ah, I didn't realize I should have put that in the OP, I'll fix that now.

ashpd
Level 1

Umm... Hello!

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 31, 2014, 07:16:55 AM »

To be honest, I don't think that gravestones was a good idea. It's just a lot of extra-work with drawing and programming, which takes a lot of time. Moreover, it can cause some new bugs and situations like this:

Well, anyway it's my opinion.
Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #744 on: January 31, 2014, 09:35:54 AM »

I like the gravestones, it fits with the theme. Also reminds me of Worms Armageddon. Areas might get crowded though... maybe have them fade out after 30 seconds or so?

my twitter. my itch.io page.
DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 31, 2014, 10:01:39 AM »

I too could see areas getting crowded with them, they'd definitely need a counterbalance of sorts. Maybe only human enemies could drop gravestones, or only enemies killed with the scythe/sickle. Maybe they could double as single block high platforms, for functionality beyond cosmetics.

Ashpd, if it's fixed to a grid it wouldn't have the issue of overhang I'd imagine.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #746 on: January 31, 2014, 01:54:07 PM »

@ashpd, it actually took me about 10 minutes to draw and program them in, they were super simple. That bug is true though. Remember that I have a tendency to make hitboxes of objects smaller than the sprite in this game, too, so that has a less of a chance of happening.

@aldo, thanks, I wasn't thinking of Worms Armageddon but I can see it now.

@DarkWanderer, like I said, not every enemy drops one. Enemies that spawn infinitely do not drop them, tiny enemies do not drop them, enemies that leave corpses do not drop them, etc. They do function beyond cosmetics, actually. If you can manage to drop a grave onto another one, they both break and provide a large sum of money. Im also thinking of making some other usability with them, maybe hitting them or standing in front of them for a second can do something neat.
The grid idea is actually pretty useful, I might possibly do that. Though it might look odd if a flying enemy -for example- is off the grid and you kill it, the grave produced might look like it came out of the air next to it. I'll continue to think of things about this.

As for the concerns of places getting crowded, I've had small livestreams showing people what it looks like in-game, and I think it helps to see in action, because it seems that sometimes people get the wrong idea just hearing this idea on paper. Places don't actually get crowded with gravestones, because honestly there aren't so many enemies in a given room that would make such a thing happen.
You might even like them more if you see the visual effect they have when they drop and hit a surface, it makes defeating enemies even more appealing, to me at least.

I really appreciate the feedback!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:18:20 PM by Rakugaki-Otoko » Logged

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 31, 2014, 03:56:43 PM »

You know I assumed the enemy spawns weren't gonna be heavy enough to swamp the map. I trust your vision here, & can't wait to see it's implementation. Glad my two cents had some value Beer!
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #748 on: February 01, 2014, 12:31:24 PM »

I've been playing with the idea of most enemies dropping and planting a gravestone when killed. Any thoughts on this?

You could always have them topple off edges and land sideways on the ground below... would solve ashpd's issue.

Or crack in two.

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 05, 2014, 12:06:51 AM »

Do you plan a level editor? I can't tell how much time I spent with Lunar Magic hacking SMW which was real fun. Most of my hacks were lame and those which didn't I lost in HDD crash 5 years ago, but it was great thing to do.

I'd like to be able to reshape Jack to my liking as well (plus there will be always someone who will think game is too easy despite the difficulty and level editor will make game live longer).

Be a computer virus!

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #750 on: February 05, 2014, 04:50:27 AM »

@oodavid, That's possible, I'll see about different things I could do there.
@darkhog, I don't plan on it, no. And for the record, so far I haven't heard anyone tell me this game is too easy.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: February 05, 2014, 08:04:49 AM »

There is always someone who will think that. Just look at all those MegaMan II romhacks that increase difficulty up to eleven (MMII being hard enough game in its own right).

But seriously, level editor would really add depth to the game and would increase replay value, especially if you'd make it so you'd unlock more level editor stuff the better player is at your game.

Be a computer virus!

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #752 on: February 05, 2014, 11:15:20 PM »

Level editors are cool, but only if you have a built-in system for uploading and downloading user-made levels. Or if its on steam it could be part of the workshop.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: February 07, 2014, 09:05:07 AM »

Level editors are cool, but only if you have a built-in system for uploading and downloading user-made levels. Or if its on steam it could be part of the workshop.

Because there are no such thing as file lockers? If game becomes popular (and having level editor gives bonus to popularity), someone will make site that indexes user-made level, like SMWCentral is for SMW hacks.

Be a computer virus!

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #754 on: February 07, 2014, 01:05:37 PM »

Because there are no such thing as file lockers? If game becomes popular (and having level editor gives bonus to popularity), someone will make site that indexes user-made level, like SMWCentral is for SMW hacks.

When a game has a built-in system for it, the custom levels tend to much more used. Sorry, I wasn't trying to say he shouldn't add a level editor if he doesn't add the other part, but I am saying the two just go together so much better than level editor alone.

rnlf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: February 10, 2014, 04:35:02 AM »

This game looks awesome. Would even pay to play it  Well, hello there!
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #756 on: February 10, 2014, 06:23:23 AM »

@darkhog and Thomas Finch, like I said, I don't plan on a level editor for my game.
@rnlf, thank you for the compliment! I accept paypal donations, but the game will remain freeware forever.

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #757 on: February 10, 2014, 08:10:04 AM »

I saw this project years ago, glad to see it's still going strong!  Gentleman

Conker534
« Reply #758 on: February 10, 2014, 08:12:28 AM »

I am too, my friend and I are really hyped over it.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: February 10, 2014, 08:14:00 AM »

@darkhog and Thomas Finch, like I said, I don't plan on a level editor for my game.
But it doesn't hurt to try to change your opinion on the subject. Also if you don't know how to make a level editor, just say so, I'm sure someone will help you make one.

Be a computer virus!

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic