Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:20:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 333783 times)
DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: February 10, 2014, 08:46:09 AM »

@darkhog and Thomas Finch, like I said, I don't plan on a level editor for my game.
But it doesn't hurt to try to change your opinion on the subject. Also if you don't know how to make a level editor, just say so, I'm sure someone will help you make one.
I'm sure he could make one, but taking the time to make one for the average layman to use would probably divert a lot of time away from working on the game it's self, & furthermore, it is likely that as the game's creator he wants it to be remembered for the charming level design & single player experience he himself hand crafted rather than being undermined by a swath of user created maps.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #761 on: February 11, 2014, 02:46:56 AM »

@Oniworld and @Conker Thanks for your continued encouragement! Comments like this really help to keep me motivated to finish the game.

it is likely that as the game's creator he wants it to be remembered for the charming level design & single player experience he himself hand crafted rather than being undermined by a swath of user created maps.
@darkhog, everything DarkWanderer said in his reply to you was accurate.
You need to quit asking, It's becoming irritating. this is the last I'll say it, I'm not putting in a level editor. You've clearly haven't been paying attention to the thread - what with asking if I'll release a demo/beta when the very first post has the demo download link in bold red text - and most likely haven't even played the game at all, seeing as you're asking me to put in a level editor in case someone thinks it's too easy. No one who's tried the demo would have that complaint, and I've actually been working this past year to make it less punishing. It's a senseless addition without any thought to why or how it'd be implemented.

BMF54123
Level 0

Moogle+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #762 on: February 17, 2014, 11:24:41 PM »

I'm experiencing some strange graphical issues on my Windows 7 desktop w/Radeon HD 6770:

Note the distortion on the trees and part of the mountain in the center of the screen. This happens with some (not all!) enemies and parallax background layers as they move around, and changes depending on their position on the screen. It occurs regardless of the scaling setting chosen, and is not fixed by changing any display or application compatibility settings.

However, this problem does NOT occur on my Windows XP laptop running a much older video chipset (Mobility Radeon HD 3650). It's also worth noting that the graphics appear bilinear interpolated/filtered at larger scaling settings on the laptop, but NOT on the desktop.

I wonder if this is the result of one of the stupid regressions/deprecations Microsoft introduced in older versions of DirectX under Windows 7? I have a few other applications that used to run with bilinear interpolation under Windows XP, but not under Windows 7.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #763 on: February 27, 2014, 10:27:18 PM »

I'm not really sure, I don't know what could be causing that, sadly. Sorry for the late response as well, I've been side-tracked by things for a bit.

In the meantime, and so that there's something new to this thread, some new baddie designs I sketched

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #764 on: April 16, 2014, 02:26:28 AM »

I'm still working on this game daily, among several other projects. Don't worry.

ashpd
Level 1

Umm... Hello!

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: April 17, 2014, 01:18:29 AM »

I'm glad that you still working on your game. Good luck with that Gentleman. By the way, what are the "other projects"? Can you show them?
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #766 on: April 17, 2014, 02:27:09 AM »

Oh, whoops! I didn't specify that the other projects are not game-related. I'm not sure if any of it would be appropriate to post in this thread.
Thank you for the encouragement though! It means a lot.

Conker534
« Reply #767 on: April 17, 2014, 09:25:16 AM »

hes also a secret agent  Ninja
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #768 on: April 27, 2014, 03:00:49 AM »

I finally have a screenshot that isn't spoiling a bonus stage!
Knights and castles inside giant bee hives.

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 28, 2014, 01:20:26 AM »

Knights and castles inside giant bee hives.

OMG! Inception!
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #770 on: April 28, 2014, 04:53:53 AM »

OMG! Inception!
No, not really.

also here's another screenshot of the castle, I'm working on sprucing up the walls especially.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #771 on: April 28, 2014, 03:30:50 PM »

Still watching this, looks great!

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #772 on: April 29, 2014, 11:46:25 PM »

Thanks a lot!

Here's more screenshots from some things I was working on in the castle today:

Any feedback is always appreciated.

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 30, 2014, 02:12:23 AM »

:=) Remind me of DKC 2 .. I love this so much.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #774 on: May 03, 2014, 04:59:20 PM »

Thanks a lot! That stage is certainly inspired by DKC2 and I hope its obvious. I had to resist the urge to put an overlayed foreground of dripping honey because it might be a little too derivative.

Also an update to gameplay here, all attacks now have an up and down variant, some more interesting than others.

This way, none of the abilities would feel stiff or stale, and they would be slightly more useful for different situations. Granted, you'd still benefit from switching and mixing them for different results as well. As you can see, the boomerang still only attacks mostly right in front of Jack, whereas another ability might let you attack straight up or down if you hold either direction.

ashpd
Level 1

Umm... Hello!

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: May 05, 2014, 02:59:27 AM »

Wow, that's great! As I remember, Jack was able to attack upward and downward only with bullets. Now other weapons have a chance to become even more useful. I like it Addicted
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #776 on: May 06, 2014, 06:48:32 AM »

Thanks! I'm glad you think so. As another example, Gas ability will probably be more appealing to people now (from what I understand, people tended to avoid that one.)
Gas will be one of the few abilities that lets you attack straight upward

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #777 on: May 09, 2014, 04:42:35 AM »

I decided little crescent moon sickles are a bit boring, so now they have more bulk to them with skull shapes in the middle. Shown here is the ability + gas.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #778 on: May 10, 2014, 04:55:45 AM »

Another small update here, showing the boss names under the health bars now.
Taking more inspiration from Kirby Super Star.

Feedback and critique would be nice, if anyone has anything to say.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 05:23:05 AM by Rakugaki-Otoko » Logged

ashpd
Level 1

Umm... Hello!

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: May 10, 2014, 09:33:41 AM »

Berzerker Poinsetta
I like that name Smiley. Now it's much better than "that flower-like boss in the beginning of the game". Actually, it's great opportunity to make few references with boss-names.
And nice font, by the way. Looks pretty stylish.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic