Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:34:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 331954 times)
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #920 on: December 06, 2014, 05:35:32 AM »

Thank you very much, Conker! And thank you too eblomquist, I appreciate it!

Have some ocean

Conker
« Reply #921 on: December 06, 2014, 09:30:40 AM »

Oh my goodness

Truly a master of pixels.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 06:58:25 AM by Conker » Logged
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #922 on: December 06, 2014, 10:11:48 AM »

Well thanks again! I appreciate the comments regardless!

Also here's an update to those fish (they were too plain looking before, and I found an old design I wanted to use instead)

the 'ribs' sway back and forth as it swims.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #923 on: December 08, 2014, 01:36:05 AM »

the 4th main character finally got a make-over!

eblomquist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #924 on: December 08, 2014, 06:36:31 AM »

I really like the old palatte - but I completely understand the changes. Those new colors and contrasts will pop out really nicely from the BG.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #925 on: December 08, 2014, 07:32:54 AM »

I did too, and it was hard for me to let it go, but I've decided on this new scheme. he pops out better against the dark cave backgrounds he usually shows up in, and it makes more sense that he'd have less pasty skin, being a person who would be outside a lot. He also needed darker hair because it was meant to be black. I've been trying hard to move away from faded pastels and into more saturated colors.

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #926 on: December 16, 2014, 08:56:41 AM »

the 4th main character finally got a make-over!

That looks like a great pixel editing challenge, the form has remained the same, but the improvement in detail and texture is really immense! Nice

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #927 on: December 16, 2014, 11:02:49 PM »

Thank you very much! I'm glad it works better.

Also, here's some new concept sketches I did. Most of these I decided against just because they show too much.

Also I finally made the game's icon:

danieru
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #928 on: December 16, 2014, 11:58:48 PM »

I love the sketched icon but I'm not sure it translated well to digital.

On the sketch there appears to be a shading under the skull in the shadow giving an impression that the skull is sitting on a rounded depression. Another thing I noticed is the left eye looks un-attached to the skull. This combined with the pure black nature of the eyes make my mind think the eyes are just holes.

Of the sketchs I really like that "Probably this one" mockup. It looks very playful and gives me an impression that his game is filled with lots of sights and gameplay. None of the objects appear to be spoilers to someone like me who does not know the story.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #929 on: December 17, 2014, 12:09:08 AM »

I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about here.
On those sketches, the very top left of the image is the icon sketch, which I redid in pixel art. it's meant to be the skull and the moon superimposed on each-other, not a definite shape, but more of a conceptual one. The eyes are in fact holes, since it's a skull.

The bottom left sketch is going to be the splash image when the game is started up and it's loading, not an icon. Sorry for any misinterpretations with that.

kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: December 17, 2014, 02:03:54 AM »

The icon is cool, but a bit weird. Maybe a bit too complex conceptually as an icon. I agree about the eyes, in the sketch they seem connected to the skull but in the final they appear flat and unfinished because of the solid black.
Conker
« Reply #931 on: December 17, 2014, 08:31:14 AM »

I love the icon personally
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: December 17, 2014, 10:42:32 AM »

People I need to commission when I have money:
Sandoval
rakugi
Cellusious
PROFIT!

ArmoredChocobo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #933 on: December 18, 2014, 06:49:00 AM »

I wanted to let you know I covered

, just showing some gameplay and talk about some issues the game currently has and some suggestions of what I'd think interesting.

It's pretty good, I'll keep my eye on it. It's hard, but not crazy hard. It's about on-par for SNES games.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #934 on: December 18, 2014, 09:04:21 PM »

Thanks for the feedback on the icon, people!
And haha thanks gimym. If you ever do, sure thing.
Armored Chocobo, wow thank you!
I sent this message on the video's comment section, but I'll post it here too for clarity:

I'm glad you like the abilities and combinations. That ability combination was definitely not good against that miniboss in that demo you were playing (it's been balanced out since then)
Yes there will be spoken dialogue in this from the bosses. I'm waiting for the end to put the voice acting in.

As for the resizing problem, I didn't realize this, thank you for pointing that out! I'll hopefully have it fixed in the next update of the demo. I'm sorry for the inconvenience there. Same goes for the window snapping back to it's default location, I'll fix that too.
On the world map, the green "save" stages can only be cleared/saved on once, it's like a checkpoint. Once you clear it, it should save once, and then it's unable to be saved on again.

Dodgespam in the air is okay to keep I think, especially because later on, there may or may not be an ability that lets you do almost the same thing. Also you can jump further by having the speed soul equipped on you as well (I know you dislike that one, though).

Changing the screensize midgame, that's a good idea. Also as a note, you can reset the game without closing by holding F2 at any time. Multiple save slots is a possibility. One-use powers would be a neat idea, those are possible too.
Multiple characters in-level character swapping won't be something that happens, but later on in the game you do get to play as them occasionally for certain stages.

Thanks again for this review, and I hope you continue to look forward to when the final game is released, and check out any updates I make to the demo, too!

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #935 on: December 19, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »

new look for the shopkeeper by the way

shellbot
« Reply #936 on: December 21, 2014, 03:44:24 AM »

Damn, those pixels are nice.

Question, roughly how many color palettes do you use?
Do you have 1 jumbo palette or just make a different palette for each sprite?
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #937 on: December 21, 2014, 07:10:16 AM »

Thank you very much!

I generally just make a palette for each sprite independently, but I make sure to keep in mind what colors the background will have in the places the sprite will appear, as well as any other sprites that will be nearby.

ArmoredChocobo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #938 on: December 22, 2014, 08:31:28 PM »

Thank you very much!

I generally just make a palette for each sprite independently, but I make sure to keep in mind what colors the background will have in the places the sprite will appear, as well as any other sprites that will be nearby.

Definitely gives the shopkeeper a bit more 16-bit look.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #939 on: December 23, 2014, 07:56:24 AM »

Thank you! Im glad.

Also an announcement, here's an updated demo!
It's been six months since that last update, and I've probably fixed and improved 1,000 things since then, it's a whole lot better. I hope everyone who's been playing the old demo tries out this new one to see the differences and fixes.
(Still a lot of work to do of course, and if you find any bugs or have complaints, please direct them to me)
Check the first page of this thread to download the latest demo, it's the link next to the red text.

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic