Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:16:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 331920 times)
NinjAttack81
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: January 21, 2015, 06:00:38 PM »

Sorry, I'm back, lol.  Decided to replay a few levels I had in mind to see if a checkpoint would be appropriate.

The lengthy "Ancient's Playground" may provide a good home for a checkpoint, perhaps at the section where you're near the entrance to the ruins, where the wall images come to life.  Seems like the perfect midway point. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:12:19 PM by NinjAttack81 » Logged
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #981 on: January 21, 2015, 06:26:08 PM »

Sure, I know the stage. So you think it would be good before the living image part?

NinjAttack81
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: January 21, 2015, 08:27:36 PM »

I believe so, at least a little close to it!  The first portion of the level seems to build up to these ruins, or at least to "something".  It's a tough trek thanks to the tricky enemies, yet the lovely scenery seems to push me forward; I feel that something's definitely up ahead.  Once I finally arrive at this mysterious location, I feel safe yet cautious, and a checkpoint there would kinda enhance that feeling for me, I guess, lol.  Then I waltz in there and get trounced by LIVING IMAGES COMIN' OUT OF THE WALLS?!  I start back at the checkpoint with a reminder that, "Yikes, I gotta get the bleep outta this place..!"  It's the main event!  And even if I manage to escape the dangerous ruins, there's still a bit of level left!  Time to go!

Haha, pardon my babbling here.  Normally I shy from contributing to game development, but I guess this topic revealed that I'm apparently passionate about checkpoint placement whenever they're available, lol.  I guess I'm all about the flow of events or balance or what have you. Tongue
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #983 on: January 21, 2015, 08:58:45 PM »

Makes sense. And I appreciate the detailed description of why, too. I appreciate your passion and it definitely helps me understand as well. I'm still getting 'flow' down, myself, so these sorts of things help me to understand.
I'm glad you have this reaction to my game as well! haha

I don't mind your passionate babbling, and I'm glad that you've realized it.
Thank you again for your help here

NinjAttack81
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: January 22, 2015, 11:54:16 AM »

Most welcome!  Again, I'm glad to help, and best of luck to you!
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #985 on: January 24, 2015, 12:36:01 AM »

Thank you!

New screenshots!
Update to the map screen, it's much prettier now, and clouds appear to move behind taller structures

added this fun little stage where you have to bounce across little spider webs over a chasm

and more spider web bouncing in the middle of a later stage, up a hollow tree

gpremier
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: January 24, 2015, 06:49:47 AM »

Those spider web qives me a serious donkey kong country flashback!

I've just started your demo(only a few stage in, i don't want to risk spoiling myself the full game), and i'm really impressed so far! It reminds me of the SNES Goemon game, which is really a good sign! It seems to play great, it's quite colorfull and wild in design and the music/sound effect fit perfectly! So, good luck with the project, i'm really looking forward the day it will be completed!

...oh and i really hope that the though warning at the beginning is relevant! I laughed quite hard when i saw it since it almost exactly the same picture that i had in my head when thinking about 'NES hard' game!
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #987 on: January 24, 2015, 06:52:12 PM »

Oh thanks! They actually were inspired by the ones in DKC2, though the ones in my game act more like trampolines than platforms.
Thanks for playing the demo, and for the compliments!
And yep, the warning at the beginning is relavent.

Also I'm working really hard today to fix everything I've made notes for so far, so that I can release an updated demo soon.
And here's a bee castle

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #988 on: January 26, 2015, 01:15:07 PM »

This isnt an update to the game or anything, but I drew some sketches and a little bit of supplemental information on the character Jack, in case anyone wanted to know

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: January 26, 2015, 02:22:27 PM »

He still has a very deep male voice Big Laff

Voice only have 3 gender: male, female, robot

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #990 on: January 27, 2015, 10:40:12 PM »

I don't know what to say to that, so here's a screenshot of the newly changed Jack missile sprites, they have blunted noses now

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #991 on: January 30, 2015, 01:39:43 AM »

I've uploaded an updated demo (check the red text in the very first post of this thread)
The new demo lets you play past where the last demos have normally stopped, I just took the liberty of bypassing some plot-heavy cutscenes to avoid spoiling anything.
Now you can play past the third main boss! plus a lot of the more unique/mechanical stages before the caves.

Like always, I would appreciate if you report any bugs or anything to me, and if any stage doesn't play music, let me know as well because I can upload the missing music to place in the folder.
Feedback is always appreciated.

Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: January 30, 2015, 07:46:42 AM »

Dark Plume plays no music Smiley
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #993 on: January 30, 2015, 09:06:35 AM »

I was waiting for the updated demo to first try the game, and so far everything about it is awesome! Reminds me of Kirby's Dreamland 3 with more complex mechanics.

Cool to see someone else using PxTone. I didn't even know GameMaker supported it.

Are some of the trees supposed to be opaquely in front of the player in the level where you first get the speed power? EDIT- "First Tree"

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #994 on: January 30, 2015, 02:34:13 PM »

Ah thanks, Storsorgen!
Here, if you've downloaded the demo before this point, please download this file and place it with the game, it should play the missing song: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106561020/Rain.pttune
(I'm updating the demo download on the first page to include this file so that people don't have to download this extra file manually after this point. the zip file that has "B" after it is the one with the missing file included)

Quicksand-T, thank you very much! KDL3 is definitely one of the inspirations so I'm glad you got that from it.
haha Gamemaker doesn't really play well with PxTone, to be honest. It took me a while to finally find how to make it work (it involved updating some file inside pixeltone, and you have to use two dll's and some pre-made code to make it work)

and yeah, those trees are in the foreground there

LaziJay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: January 30, 2015, 05:58:33 PM »

So I was playing the area SPIKE WALKER and during the stage, my Mr. Orphan was activated. Pretty much I was able to walk on the spikes and attack (though attacking did absolutely nothing). I passed the stage, but I wanted to ask if this counts as a bug? I assumed that even though my Mr. Orphan was activated I would certainly die xD
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #996 on: January 31, 2015, 01:39:11 AM »

Ah wow, that was an oversight on my part! The Ophan has been causing one or two problems (such as activating even if you fall down a pit, which just makes you die twice)
For this, I think I'll just let it revive Eclipsus as well, and that should fix this one.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #997 on: January 31, 2015, 05:13:38 AM »

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106561020/Ruins.pttune
To those who've downloaded the current demo before this point, this is the missing track in the ruins, please download this file and place it with the game files, and it should work properly, sorry for these constant updates.
I'm currently fixing the demo download on the first page so that it includes this file with the game.
(If your demo folder has "(C)" on the name, it includes the missing song already)

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: January 31, 2015, 01:12:55 PM »

@lazyjay ... why did your image transformed? Shocked

Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: February 01, 2015, 04:25:27 AM »

So I was playing the area SPIKE WALKER and during the stage, my Mr. Orphan was activated. Pretty much I was able to walk on the spikes and attack (though attacking did absolutely nothing). I passed the stage, but I wanted to ask if this counts as a bug? I assumed that even though my Mr. Orphan was activated I would certainly die xD

Woah, what are those souls? I've never seen them before!
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic