Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:22:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralRoom Racers! (Hologram Micro Machines in Your Own Room)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Room Racers! (Hologram Micro Machines in Your Own Room)  (Read 2937 times)
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2011, 04:51:47 AM »

WOHOOOO! THIS IS SIMPLY AMAZING!!

“Create your own race game tracks by placing real stuff! Race with up to 4 virtual cars around anything you can find in your home. This is the first fully functional version of my game prototype from last year. The object detection is completely real-time, checkpoints can be placed to define the route, players can drop in or out of the game at any time, there is a combat game mode, in-game menu, HUD, etc.”

source: superlevel
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 01:09:40 PM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 12:32:15 PM »

That is bitchin'.

I'd like to describe it with sophisticated language, I really would. But sometimes, there is simply no other way to describe something than,

That is bitchin'.

I can't wait for a how-to.

(Also, link is broken,

)

c--b
Level 0

...!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 04:03:26 PM »

Epileptic

Crazy

AWESOME
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 04:09:33 PM »

Nice! The first augmented reality... thing that has actually grabbed my interest.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 09:17:34 AM »

Oh YEAH!

This looks like great fun, the next generation scalextrics.

My only qualm would be that the mounting for the projector (ie, directly above, facing down) and the webcam would be quite difficult. You'd also need quite a high ceiling I guess...
Squiggly_P
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 08:18:37 PM »

I just posted on the youtube page, but I wonder if this would work if you projected it onto a whiteboard and drew the track with dry-erase markers. Would make it easier to set up, at least, and you wouldn't have to lose a ton of space on your floor to play the game.

This would be an awesome party game, for sure.

This reminds me of this touchscreen app demo on youtube that was kinda similar to this concept where you could play a tabletop or pen & paper RPG and use little pieces that represented characters and then you could move them around and the computer would calculate things like line of sight. Then as the GM you could set up a map with all the various flora and fauna and buildings and such and the players could physically move around the game area. Like the best aspects of CRPGs and P&P RPGs rolled into one.
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 02:13:41 AM »

Wow, that looks awesome! I'd love to see an explanation of how it works Smiley

Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 09:55:23 AM »

Wow, that looks awesome! I'd love to see an explanation of how it works Smiley

Project/Camera combo on above. Calibrate to empty surface, then when you place objects to do some simple edge detection + smoothing/combination to form the walls. At this point you can form a black/white map to check against filled with convex hulls.

You can run the detection/creation side every couple of loops to detect changes when you place objects down.

OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 09:59:35 AM »

very cool :-o
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic