I'm sorry I didn't play this sooner, it's a great game. For some reason the voting process for these contests always takes place when I forget about these forums
Anyway, most of what I would say has probably been said above, so I'll simplify my thoughts on the game to a few points.
Thanks for the great feedback rinkuhero, I've been wondering where you've been for a while now
- I think the different statistics for each asteroid thing is kind of superfluous, if it were me I'd get rid of that entirely since it isn't that important to the gameplay and just complicates things.
I agree that it makes next to no difference as it is. We plan to make it a lot more exaggerated. The original idea, which we may still try to strive for in some way, was that the overall makeup of your output from an asteroid would be determined by what kinds of things you'd mined from it, so the properties of your seedlings would change over time.
- I found it very hard to determine how many trees were on an asteroid without holding my mouse over it. It'd be nice if there were some type of visual indication for this, so I know which ones I need to replant (my strategy was to keep the ones I conquered at 6/6 at all times).
Yes, also I personally find the popups intensely annoying and think that they jar with the game's atmosphere along with the rest of the UI. I would rather represent these things graphically.
- It'd be nice if grabbing on to a blank spot and moving the mouse "dragged" the screen, allowing scrolling left/right/up/down without the use of the arrow buttons.
The middle mouse button does exactly this, but who really likes to press their mouse wheel? Not me; I would like to put this in I think. It fits in with some of the plans we have to vary the size of the asteroid and generally make them bigger anyhow.
- Early on, the talk of "power" and "armies" turned me off from the game and seemed to go against the peaceful aesthetic. This is only a minor tweak but I suggest rephrasing some of that stuff to "flocks" or "swarms" instead of "armies", and similar changes, to make it seem less warlike.
That is great feedback thank you. The tutorial wasn't written in a terribly considered fashion but it really hadn't occurred to me that it was very contradictory. We'll have to redo the tutorial anyway as it's not a very good guide - only one step abve a readme or a page full of text really.
- I think the game needs more variety in level design -- like different asteroid fields. Some with only a few asteroids, some with more; some with only one color opponent, some with more, etc.
I'm constantly bothered by the idea that the ring-based gameplay might limit the true joy of this game, but we haven't experimented with different fields. Something for the list.
- When I conquered all the asteroids, a message popped up with two options. I had no time to read it but accidentally clicked on one because it appeared right under my mouse. What did that say? Did I ruin anything by clicking on it too quickly, and give up the chance for more levels or something?
It said "Congratulations. Your kind has prevailed against all others. You may continue playing if you wish.". We were going to remove this option as continuing to play is pointless, but I forgot / couldn't be bothered.
- It'd be nice if the other color bird/insect things started with a few asteroids, so you could see their "base", rather than you being the only one that's actively spreading places.
We'll be limiting expansion depending on the size of the asteroid you're on / how many trees you've grown/built. This should make the game a little bit more manageable and give the enemies a better chance to develop a base. The AI is a total hack at the moment, needs a rewrite.
- I expected the large circle in the middle to be some type of super asteroid / final boss, but was disappointed when it seemed to be nothing at all. Or perhaps that was because I clicked that message before I read it and missed out on something?
Yeah it's just a sprite
It's supposed to be the star.
Thanks again for the feedback. We'll be starting a thread in Feedback soon for the next version of the game.