Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:22:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationDyson [FINISHED] [website launched!]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Dyson [FINISHED] [website launched!]  (Read 127184 times)
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 12:45:09 AM »

Sometimes I think my references are a bit too obscure.

Or alternatively, I was just feeling particularly silly when I read it. Tongue

Wasn't there someone here who likes the manga BLAME? That has Dyson spheres in it. Well, just one, really.

Blame! wasn't really a Dyson sphere, that I recall; it had the same harness-all-the-energy-of-the-sun thing, but aren't the people inhabiting the structure supposed to live on the inside surface of the Dyson sphere? Killy's journey was all 'up' and he was moving away from the centre, if nothing else.

But regardless; Dyson spheres are particularly cool, and even if I can't see the immediate connection the screenshots look interesting! ;-)

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 01:16:16 AM »

There's no connection to Dyson spheres. Dyson came up with more ideas than just that - the one used as inspiration for this is a self-replicating automaton.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 01:22:52 AM »

There's no connection to Dyson spheres. Dyson came up with more ideas than just that - the one used as inspiration for this is a self-replicating automaton.
Oh, sorry. Interesting how even though you said quite clearly that your game was based on the 'Astrochicken' idea, I automatically assumed it would involve Dyson Spheres as well  Embarrassed

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 01:42:02 AM »

That's because Dyson spheres really are very cool Smiley

alphasmart
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 02:16:48 AM »

egads, floating trees!  Shocked
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 05:29:16 AM »

Sometimes I think my references are a bit too obscure.
Would you feel better if I told you that "I'm free!"?

Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 11:58:55 AM »

That's because Dyson spheres really are very cool Smiley

No worries, basically we are taking inspiration from a number of concepts by both Von Neumann and Dyson. Between them they have created so many fascinating concepts that one could create countless games using themn for gameplay inspiration.

Dyson trees are interesting as well for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_tree
We are fusing some of these things, the self replicating cellular automaton, the astro chicken, the Dyson tree, in coherent and hopefully fun gameplay mechanics that suit the procedural elements of the competition. It is tremendous fun material to work with.

Researching this stuff also uncovers bizarre internet sites. Check this beauty out:
http://www.orionsarm.com/civ/Dyson_Trees.html
That site is full of wonders :-)

(http://www.orionsarm.com/main.html)

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 12:14:24 PM »

What you mean is it's full of really scary people :D

jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 05:42:06 PM »

hehe,. this is looking a bit like a game built about a year ago,. my game was called brainTooth you can find it here;

http://iterationgames.com/brainTooth__045.zip

feel free to rip ideas from it,. it is quite simple, a spherical shooter with a bit of stratagy in deciding what planet to go for next,. pressing SPACE shows a simple map for strategic planing,. I am still not really happy with the controles, interested to see how you deal with the ball contoles..,  perhaps when this compo is over i will revisit this and add 360 contoller support,. actually most of my old games would benefit from that!  time is always against us,. .  .. .

sounds like you guys have some good ideas,. and better trees than i did with that one,.  looking forward to playing your game!  cheers.

http://iterationGAMES.com
http://jph_wacheski.itch.io/
all my itch.io games are now pay-what-you-like Wink
Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2008, 05:50:53 AM »

hehe,. this is looking a bit like a game built about a year ago,. my game was called brainTooth you can find it here;

http://iterationgames.com/brainTooth__045.zip

feel free to rip ideas from it,. it is quite simple, a spherical shooter with a bit of stratagy in deciding what planet to go for next,. pressing SPACE shows a simple map for strategic planing,. I am still not really happy with the controles, interested to see how you deal with the ball contoles..,  perhaps when this compo is over i will revisit this and add 360 contoller support,. actually most of my old games would benefit from that!  time is always against us,. .  .. .

sounds like you guys have some good ideas,. and better trees than i did with that one,.  looking forward to playing your game!  cheers.
`

Thanks, I will definitely have a look :-)
The trees in our game are linked to some of the core gameplay, but I wil reveal more on that when we get it working ;-)

Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2008, 05:50:39 AM »

Finally an update!

Dyson is progressing nicely, but becoming leaner and meaner along the way.
It is starting to look like we have a handle on scope now (After some slimming excercises) and I have good hopes that what we will end up with will be worthwhile :-) We haven't said much yet about the gameplay so here is some more info.:

Desired Gameplay
The game features an asteroid belt with currently 64 individual asteroids.
The player starts with a seedling planted on a single asteroid (The Von Neuman device/space chicken/Dyson Tree we mentioned earlier)
First, the player initiates the seedling to grow roots to the asteroids "energy core" and from those roots a dyson tree sprouts on the surface. The charecteristics of the tree are affected by the composition of the asteroid, and all asteroids in the belt are unique in that respect.

Once the tree is grown, the player can trigger it to grow new seeds. The seeds characteristics and abilities are also affected by the composition of their parents. Seeds are used for various things. They can be used to grow more trees, or, they can be sent of towards other asteroids to start more colonies.
This is where things heat up.

The game has AI opponents that act the same way as the player and are contesting the asteroid belt for ownership.
Now, if the seedlings arrive at an asteroid that is already owned by another, the seedlings attack the surface sructures. If they manage to destroy them the surviving seedlings will bore down to the centre of the asteroid and take over the core. If succesful they will claim the other's asteroid and are able to exploit its resources.

What this results in is hopefully a strategically deep game of conquest that can be won either by destroying all contenders or by colonising all asteroids.

What we have now:
Quite a few things!

• 64 asteroids
  • Tree roots
  • Seedlings
  • Pathfinding of seedlings to other asteroids (See image below) Selection
  • Ability to grow new seedlings

I am quite psyched by this but we will have to see if the ambition matches up to reality. I will let Haowan do the talking on the tech front. :-)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 05:54:54 AM by Borsato » Logged

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2008, 06:09:02 AM »

The tech will blow your mind.

But yeah, the program is really in a similar place as it was before, it's just putting in the gameplay now, then adding sound, music, etc later when we've got something we can play and tweak. Game should be finished by the end of the competition; we're on track with what we've currently designed.

With luck, there'll be time to add some graphical effects beyond these really simple trees. We've scheduled time for seedling appearance, but I'd really like to put in some nice particle effects and stuff. I'm a programmer, I live for that stuff. Kiss

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2008, 06:31:33 AM »

Looking seriously sweet. I want those kind of little touches of glow etc, but I'm just really limiting myself so I can get hideously unproven gameplay done.

Can't wait to see how the gameplay feels in this.

Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2008, 08:08:54 AM »

It's not really gameplay but I am already enjoying sending the seedlings to other asteroids and watch em navigate the asteroid belt :-)

two4teezee
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2008, 08:44:16 AM »

This looks neat!
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2008, 03:39:47 PM »

Found this looking at ColourLovers.com

pretty nice

Here are two AIs trying to take over nearby asteroids

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2008, 03:43:19 PM »

Lookin' good Smiley

olücæbelel
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2008, 10:06:12 PM »

Looking mighty fine so far. Can't wait to try it out.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2008, 03:59:09 PM »

Some shots up of little seedling graphics:

(try to ignore the debug lines and text shown in there)

And an army on the move:

So, you can see the interface in the shots above. It's just a simple menu with some important information displayed - the asteroid make-up consisting of energy/strength/speed characteristics is shown under the randomly-generated asteroid name; the number of seedlings from different kinds is shown and the core health is shown too. You can send seedlings to other asteroids (although a quick-send option is available that bypasses the button), or plant new trees on the asteroid.

Not sure if I've explained the root systems shown - they're built up over time as more trees are grown on the surface. Seedlings burrow down along these roots to get to the core in order to take it over.

Still to go: all the sound (Shocked), lose condition, tutorial, work on tree graphics if there's time and a saved game if there is time. Slowly whittling down the tasks!

Corpus
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2008, 04:06:43 PM »

It looks great Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic