Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:28:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Space Ape Battles [Finished - PC]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Space Ape Battles [Finished - PC]  (Read 13078 times)
LazyDog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »

Control your army of space apes in this 2-player platform shooter played on the same keyboard. The goal is to capture flags spread across the map. A captured flag will spawn you an ape every 2-6 seconds. When your opponent have no more flags and all his units are wiped out, you win. There are 3 different kinds of ape units. One standard soldier, one big tank and one ape with a jetpack.

This game was done quick (probably too quick). When browsing the section I can only admit that this is probably the worst one yet.. but what the heck the more the merrier right?

Pics:

Menu screen.

A battlefield pic.

Another picture of a battlefield with the Tank unit spawned.

Download for PC here:
Latest build 1.1
Submission build 1.0
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:03:28 AM by LazyDog » Logged

Download my games at www.gamersdelight.eu
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 03:27:44 PM »

I'll be sure to try this out this weekend, when i have someone to play with. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Attribute Clash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 10:15:50 AM »

Man, that's awesome!!! Hand Fork Left Grin Hand Knife Right
I will try to battle someone tonight, but the idea of squad control is great! ))

Chubysnow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 09:02:08 AM »

Awesome game, very scary, like a 2d deadspace 2.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 06:27:54 PM »

Added template for finished entries. Please update yours:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=17283.msg493412
tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 12:33:28 PM »

Played it and had a blast, well done!
It took us a few minutes to grasp what's going on exactly and how to capture the flags,
but once we did it was terrible fun.
Also, I couldn't quite distinguish between the different units and who does what, my eyes were all over the place...

LazyDog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 01:05:15 PM »

Played it and had a blast, well done!
It took us a few minutes to grasp what's going on exactly and how to capture the flags,
but once we did it was terrible fun.
Also, I couldn't quite distinguish between the different units and who does what, my eyes were all over the place...

Cool that you like it! Yeah crowd control was the idea for the game so having your eyes all over the place is kinda what it's all about. I know I could have done a better job when pixling the units... I blame it on laziness. Smiley

Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 09:36:51 AM »

We had a lot of fun with this one, it reminded me of Too Many Plumbers, but, y'know, with gorillas. I was pleasantly surprised when the different units started falling out of the sky, and also when I got jetpacks :D

My only issue is that the game felt too hard to lose or win. It would be nice if it had a timer, or if capturing all the flags was a win condition.

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
LazyDog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 11:05:26 AM »

We had a lot of fun with this one, it reminded me of Too Many Plumbers, but, y'know, with gorillas. I was pleasantly surprised when the different units started falling out of the sky, and also when I got jetpacks :D

My only issue is that the game felt too hard to lose or win. It would be nice if it had a timer, or if capturing all the flags was a win condition.

Nice to hear you had fun with it. And yeah you are right, the game can go on for quite some time. I probably should have tested it more before release but I got too much into my other game for the compo, Macig. I'm not sure how the compo rules works.. but I guess I could always update the game when the compo is over. Cuz I cant update it now right?

Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 09:52:29 PM »

Nice to hear you had fun with it. And yeah you are right, the game can go on for quite some time. I probably should have tested it more before release but I got too much into my other game for the compo, Macig. I'm not sure how the compo rules works.. but I guess I could always update the game when the compo is over. Cuz I cant update it now right?

As far as I can tell, as long as you keep a link to your submission build in your post, so that people can get their impressions for voting from that, it doesn't matter. The point of the compo is to motivate eachother to create great content, there's no prize or anything, so, go for it!

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
LazyDog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 03:16:57 AM »

New version 1.1!

Thx to Starfliers feedback here is a small update for the game. This will hopefully make it easier to win/lose so that matches don't go on forever. I didn't change the graphics so that units are easier to distinguish from each other... I know I should have but I didn't feel like pixling today. 

Changelog:
  • Capturing all flags is now the only win condition (doing it will kill all enemy units)
  • The tank unit is now buffed (missiles explodes on enemy-ape impact)

Thx again for the feedback! Enjoy the game!

ps: More feedback and ideas are always welcomed!

bamcquern
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 10:59:16 AM »

This game is great and it's a hit with my friends. As soon as you've captured all the flags, it's hard not to win in a few seconds, so I think I prefer the kill-all-the-men win state because it gives an illusion of a comeback possibility.

I like the graphics. The gorillas are big and the other guys are small. Simple. Also, people are pink or blue.

Right now I think the game is really well balanced. I like that bullets go down so you can't camp on flags. I like the tension of raising your flag versus defending yourself or going after someone. Flying in jetpacks can be finicky, maybe, but they work.

Do you start producing more apes if you have fewer flags? I kind of like that idea but I couldn't confirm that it was happening. Maybe you could have an adjustable slider for apes dropped per flags hoisted, or you could have different game modes. New weapons and power ups would be cool, and more levels I think is a must, but I like the balance of the game exactly as it is now and wouldn't want that experience to go away. Sorry, my comments kind of contradict each other. I'm writing from my phone and can't really edit my post.
cystem glitch
Level 2

wack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 12:12:05 AM »

Great game, it's fun and it gets pretty crazy. You sort of have to develop a hive mind to keep track of all the different interactions your cloud of apes is getting into. And as has been said previously the balance of holding down a flag long enough to claim it and fighting off the opposition works well. I like the style too, although it's more attractive on the menu screen with everything blown up then when it's rendered it at actual pixel size. You have an interesting mechanic executed well and it's been one of the better games I tried.  Hand Clap

You told me, never to limit myself to one style...to use any move that works...TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND!
bamcquern
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 03:52:44 PM »

This is one of my all-time favorite hotseat games.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic