Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:16:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Brigands [ FINISHED ]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Brigands [ FINISHED ]  (Read 32303 times)
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: January 29, 2011, 07:58:30 PM »

Brigands - FINISHED!

2 player deathmatch in flying pirate ships, a mix between Joust and Artillery, you fly around lobbing cannonballs at each other but can inflict ramming damage if you want to get up close and personal. All in glorious lofi 3D.

Shared keyboard play, WASD for p1, numpad 8456 for p2

older screens:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:17:40 PM by lowpoly » Logged

Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 08:14:05 PM »

Oooooh, I love that ship! Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 08:15:29 PM »

All your games have delicious graphics.

Like candy.

And the concept sounds awesome.

Like candy! Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 11:28:01 PM »

YOUR GRAPHICS MAN

I could gobble them up.

(Too bad I don't have a 3D printer, or I'd definitely do it)
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 12:23:56 AM »

thanks for the feedback guys! Got a first playable version ready to go here:
http://26k.org/dev/play/brig_v016.zip

it's still pretty rough art and I just started experimenting with simple shaded fx's like you'll see in there, but it's a good start I think. Mostly concerned with the controls right now and a bit worried if they are too complicated. This isn't meant to be a quick twitch game by any means so I'm ok with having moderately complex controls, but I want to make sure they're not clumsy. It plays significantly better with a gamepad tho.

hit collision is still a bit buggy and there's no screen limits so one player can disappear offscreen if they're not careful.

Anyways, grab a friend, shoot each other and let me know what you think!

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 07:48:51 PM »

If I was a baker, I would make a cake shaped like that ship. And then I would eat it. It looks that good.

The premise of the game sounds cool, I'm a sucker for sky-piracy. Smiley Looking forward to seeing more progress on this!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 11:02:51 PM »

If I was a baker, I would make a cake shaped like that ship. And then I would eat it. It looks that good.

then you'll probably enjoy these tasty looking clouds I came up with

still screwing around with the look, haven't actually lit the ships yet and I need to get some actual environment art in there.

Anyone get a chance to run through the playable? Curious to see how the controls worked for everyone.

Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 11:40:31 PM »

O
M
G

They look like marshmallows!  Hand Fork Left Tears of Joy Hand Knife Right

Trying the playable now.

[EDIT]: Got a Memory Access Violation error. Sad

XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 12:52:13 AM »

Those clouds......so voluptuous  Well, hello there!

Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 04:36:42 AM »

Just downloaded it to have a go. I must be doing something stupid, though. Every time I start a game P1 flies straight up and P2 sinks straight down while the screen very slowly scrolls up. Other than that, the controls work fine but I can't say any more than that  Sad

EDIT: I do have a joystick and two controllers plugged in but none of them has been touched. Could they be the problem?
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 08:15:18 AM »

EDIT: I do have a joystick and two controllers plugged in but none of them has been touched. Could they be the problem?
The game has gravity so p2 sinking is normal. P1 going up tho means it was thrusting on its own, which is bad. is it a 360 controller? If not it's probably my fault by having joysticks enabled by default without a config. Thrust is mapped to the 360 controller's right trigger currently.

Trying the playable now.

did you get that error on startup or during gameplay? If it was on startup (sorry to ask this) but did you unzip the file first? If it was during gameplay, can you describe what was happening when it came up? MAV's are the engine's generic, unhelpful way of saying something is missing, be it an actual file or an entity in the world.

Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 08:48:23 AM »

The game has gravity so p2 sinking is normal. P1 going up tho means it was thrusting on its own, which is bad. is it a 360 controller? If not it's probably my fault by having joysticks enabled by default without a config. Thrust is mapped to the 360 controller's right trigger currently.

They're PS2 controllers but... one sec.

Okay, I've checked and they're working by default. I'll reboot again soon but I'm pretty certain something must've been held down or wonky on startup.

I assume it's currently normal for the controllers and keyboard to work simultaneously? Depending on how they interact that might be an interesting 4-player meta-game with enough beer  Tongue

EDIT: After further experimentation, P1 is bound to the joystick which must be partially incompatible because that ship has thrust stuck on no matter what I do to it (short of unplug it, I assume). All the other commands work fine, as far as I can tell... they're bound to something or other on the joystick and also work on the keyboard.

P2 is bound to one of the PS2 controllers which is almost compatible. Everything works except thrust which isn't bound to anything but is still overridden on the keyboard (as it is by the joystick for P1).

I've got family visiting in... about 10mins, so I'll have to unplug all the game controllers later to get a feel for it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:47:14 AM by Widget » Logged
Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 11:00:56 PM »

Trying the playable now.

did you get that error on startup or during gameplay? If it was on startup (sorry to ask this) but did you unzip the file first? If it was during gameplay, can you describe what was happening when it came up? MAV's are the engine's generic, unhelpful way of saying something is missing, be it an actual file or an entity in the world.

Yeah, I didn't take it out of the zip file (bad habit, I know).

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 11:45:45 PM »

new playable v021 is ready!

so I was pretty sick last week and didn't get much of a chance to work, but I was able to put together a build tonight that should hopefully play a bit better. Big changes from last time:

added clouds
removed dedicated spin button, now you just double tap in the opposite direction you're facing
damage from hitting opponent (Joust style, whoever is higher on screen wins)
lowered health, added health pickup
cleaned up the camera
turned off gamepad support until I get something better in place

There are still a few important things missing, most notably the lack of screen limits. Also the green and blue cannons are temp until I do another pass on the ship art. Actually, everything needs an art pass.

Anyway, test it out if you have a few minutes. I think it's pretty fun once you get a hang of the controls.

Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 05:58:08 AM »

I really like it. The speed of the airships combined with the RoF makes a nice, novel sort of combat. More technical and less "spammy" or frantic, kinda like trying to duel in slow motion.

The change to the spin control tidies it up quite nicely aswell. Much easier to handle the controls now.
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 02:29:15 PM »

I'm done, PLAY IT!

Been slowly pulling this game together over the last couple of weeks. It didn't end up having the amount of depth I originally hoped for but, I think it turned out pretty fun in the end.

Grab a friend and shoot each other out of the sky!

Mega
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 07:46:33 PM »

LOVE IT! (played it)
Perfect explosive sounds, physics and animations , could almost smell the gunpowder.
Good passive colors and overall feel for this kind of game.
I cant think of any criticisms, except that its too basic weapons, but that doesn't count because another human player might change things up (I played it alone), and also how it is, was design and intent anyway. also the little that the game does it does it well. This is a real contender. I can say that for only few of our entries  Cheesy

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 11:48:31 PM »

LOVE IT! (played it)
Perfect explosive sounds, physics and animations , could almost smell the gunpowder.
Good passive colors and overall feel for this kind of game.
I cant think of any criticisms, except that its too basic weapons, but that doesn't count because another human player might change things up (I played it alone), and also how it is, was design and intent anyway. also the little that the game does it does it well. This is a real contender. I can say that for only few of our entries  Cheesy

Hey thanks, glad you enjoyed it! Definitely find a friend to play with if you can  Smiley

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 11:11:59 PM »

This is a very stylish game. Smiley

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 02:22:52 PM »

Oh man this is great!

Me and my friends had a few good matches. Any chance for a 3-4 player mode, though?

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic