Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:11:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Brigands [ FINISHED ]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Brigands [ FINISHED ]  (Read 32308 times)
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 07:41:57 PM »

Oh man this is great!

Me and my friends had a few good matches. Any chance for a 3-4 player mode, though?

great to hear Beer!

unfortunately, I cut so many corners with the code to make the deadline that adding anything to the game at this point would require a major overhaul. Four players would be cool tho!

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 08:54:05 PM »

It is gorgeous. Nicely done.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
medieval
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 12:31:22 PM »

i am quite interested in maybe composing a bit of music that would fit in this game.

were you originally planning to add music to your game? if so, what sort of stuff did you have in mind?

I might give it a try, let me know if you are interested in this offer.
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 07:47:41 PM »

i am quite interested in maybe composing a bit of music that would fit in this game.

were you originally planning to add music to your game? if so, what sort of stuff did you have in mind?

I might give it a try, let me know if you are interested in this offer.

ya, absolutely I'd love for you to take a shot at composing something!

In my head I always imagined something along the lines of the music in A Link to the Past, stirring and majestic but maybe a bit darker in tone, with percussion befitting sky pirates attacking each other with fiery cannonballs.

thanks for the offer!

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 09:16:01 PM »

My friend and I played a number of rounds the other night.  It's good fun for a while and the visuals are fantastic.

I notice it becomes pretty difficult to make a comeback after one player starts camping the bottom of the playing field.  That's really mostly a personal peeve since I was the one dying repeatedly while he camped below me.

He enjoyed it immensely.  Angry Hand Shake Left
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 12:48:36 AM »

Absolutely love the graphical style! The clouds and the ships look spectacular! Well done!

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 07:32:45 AM »

I notice it becomes pretty difficult to make a comeback after one player starts camping the bottom of the playing field.  That's really mostly a personal peeve since I was the one dying repeatedly while he camped below me.

He enjoyed it immensely.  Angry Hand Shake Left

I'm curious, were you able to ram him effectively? I was hoping that would work enough of as a counter strategy for people who hang out at the bottom. That and controlling the health spawn.

Absolutely love the graphical style! The clouds and the ships look spectacular! Well done!

Thank you!

Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 05:07:56 PM »

We all loved the visuals. One of our favorite title screens. It was a lot of fun but we ran into the same problem oyog did with one player camping the bottom of the screen.

After some experimenting we realized that the higher player gets the advantage in collisions, but this didn't seem to be enough to "retake" the bottom. To ram the enemy you have to try to land on them which makes you an easy target. Also it takes some time to get down there which gives the lower player some chances to shoot you.

We all agreed something needs to entice the players enough to stay in the middle of the arena. King of the Hill style gameplay isn't bad, but it's no fun to have the "top of the hill" near the margins of the map... always bouncing off the bottom of the screen -- it's much cooler to be up near the floating platforms.

So.. how do we keep players there? The repair pickup didn't seem to be enough. Maybe if players could attack below them, the bottom of the screen would loose its advantage and players would stay near the platforms -- using them as obstacles to hide behind?

Maybe the cannon could aim in a 180° arc in front of the player instead of just the top 90°? Or there could be an alternate kind of attack. Depth charges?

Or, there could be other things the players have to collect around the platforms. Maybe they have to pickup ammo, or something that increases their score?

Other thoughts:
  • We liked the slower pace/longer rounds. But we thought the rounds might be a little too long.
  • We didn't have any technical problems the other day, but I just tried the game on my computer and everything is going much too fast! Could the game be frame rate dependent? Or maybe it's just a bug.
  • Score text could be a little bigger. We played on a TV/couch and it was a little difficult to read the scores.
  • Could be my personal favorite visuals of the whole compo.

Thanks!
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 08:01:03 AM »

This game is great!!! Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right
Only thing I'd like to see changed is the "bouncyness" at the bottom of the screen.
You ought to either, make solid ground there, or have ships drop to their death when going too far down (alternatively, adding lava at the bottom).
sixteenbits
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 01:21:03 PM »

I really enjoy Brigands. Great art style and overall feel. Bravo!

My biggest challenge with the game concerns the controls. I find it a bit confusing that aiming and moving are controlled by the same hand. Ex - W/S for cannon pitch, and A/D for left and right. I feel like it might be advantageous to have W = thrust, and A/D control left and right. Then, two other buttons (say V/B) control the cannon pitch. Space = fire.

It could be that I just need more practice with the existing control scheme. But then again, I'm a big fan of separating control categories per hand.

...there could be an alternate kind of attack. Depth charges?

Love the idea of depth charges, or some other way to shoot downwards.
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 07:16:15 AM »

awesome, glad you guys are enjoying the game!

So at one point ramming was an instant kill but I took it out because I felt it unbalanced the game. I probably should have left the damage higher tho considering how it is now. Part of that problem for me was trying to figure out what to do with the bottom of the screen. The bouncyness was something I put in at the very end as a solution to keeping both players on screen. Originally I wanted you to die if you went too low but when we were play testing, we found that the other player could stay up high and pin the lower player down between instant death and his shots. Or he could fly higher and scroll the bottom player off the screen (which sucked too). That's also when the health came in, hoping that people would fight over that more, but I guess not as much as I hoped :/

As for the controls, I was worried player might be sharing something cramped like a laptop keyboard so I figured the closer the keys the better. But I hear what you're saying

Ghidorah
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 08:06:39 PM »

Hey check this out.
You will be happy to know that the crowd enjoyed your game. Unfortunately the game runs a bit slow on the laptop powering this thing but actually people seemed to like the slower pace.

Hope you like it

Woody, Philadelphia PA http://winnitronnyc.blogspot.com/
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 11:30:46 PM »

THAT IS AWESOME.

but man, that is running so slow it makes me want to cry. Thanks for sharing that with me, seriously, I'm honored!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic