Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:42:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationSpace Cat on Mutant Planet [FINISHED, v0.2]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Space Cat on Mutant Planet [FINISHED, v0.2]  (Read 25792 times)
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: May 13, 2008, 10:15:05 AM »

New build up in the same place as the previous one.

Tweaks:
- Player jetpack speeds are lower, hopefully controls feel a bit nicer, although a side-effect is that the balance has shifted around a bit. It's both easier and harder Wink
- Enemies stay dead for a while when you revisit a screen after moving between screens
- Removed the gun taking energy from the jetpack, since it was complicating the flying control
- Flying enemy movement improved

Fixes:
- Fixed occasional random crash when entering a new screen
- Fixed dead enemies firing
- Fixed horrible slowdown bug when lots of gravity-affected projectiles were on screen

Remaining known issues:
- Z sorting glitches on some graphics cards - "shadow" enemy body parts drawn in front of foreground parts, etc.
- Still doesn't support old gfx hardware Sad
- Occasionally get stuck inside an enemy or nest on screen transition (have to quit)

Finished! (Chosen midnight: Los Angeles)
Download here. (Thanks to Mr Hao Wan for the hosting!!)

Also requires .NET runtime.

Various things didn't make it in, but it came out ok. I'm really sorry but it still won't run on older graphics cards due to... some... sh1tty z-buffer-related reason... that I'm too tired to remember. Sorry Inane and others - might be able to fix for the Redux version.

Screenshots:

Instructions:

- Collect the 8 missing spaceship parts from around the planet. They are often hidden inside enemy nests.
- The detector in the top right glows red when a part is on the same screen and yellow if there's one 1 screen away.
- Return to the ship at any time to restore health. Return with all 8 parts to win.
- Firing and using the jetpack deplete your energy (bue bar). Jetpack is not available when energy is zero and guns are weaker. Energy recharges quickly though.
- Press "H" to start in hard mode with lots more enemies

Controls:

Left/Right - move horizontally
Up - jetpack boost
Down - jetpack auto-hover (sometimes useful)
X - fire

And now... sleep. OH NO HANG ON: Work.  Huh?

Best of luck everyone! Really looking forward to playing everything and picking everyones brains about secret PG techniques  Kiss

Original Post:
Space Cat crashes on a strange planet and bits of his spaceship get scattered around the world. He has to find them all and return to the spaceship to win. (this is all part of a grand plan to avoid Cave Story rip off allegations Grin)

The planet is randomly generated based on the name the player gives it a the start (during some sort of intro sequence), so planet "haowan" would be the same everytime, and different to planet "shrimp". People can experiment to find fun planets and share the best planet names online. I'll include a random name generator so you don't *have* to think up a name each time you play.

Gameplay will be somewhere between Metroid and Knytt. Main weapon is a raygun, but might add bombs or other attacks if time. Some special "get-out-of-jail-free card" player abilities will be included in order to give the world generator a bit more slack  Wink

As well as finding the required ship parts, there will (hopefully) be secret bonus items that unlock different endings.

If I get time, there might be some sort of hunger/resting/foraging/camping in order to sate my lust for roguelike game mechanics.

Main procedural thing is the world, extra things might be enemy types and pickups.

Some early screenshots in a few days, hopefully!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 02:08:08 PM by shrimp » Logged

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 11:08:49 AM »

I approve heartily of all things both cosmic and feline.  Good luck!   Smiley

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 01:12:21 PM »

Early days...

The Random NPC framework is kind of done, as is the random world framework. Neither are *actually* random/procedural yet, mind you.

The player sprite is on temporary loan from another project (and by my artist collaborator). The final cat will be more... Space-ish.

I made the enemies in about 5 minutes. They look approximately 50% funnier than you would expect in motion.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 01:17:23 PM »

Space Cat crashes on a strange planet and bits of his spaceship get scattered around the world. He has to find them all and return to the spaceship to win. (this is all part of a grand plan to avoid Cave Story rip off allegations Grin)

Knytt rip-off! Space Barnacle rip-off! Angry

...nah, just kidding. Tongue Sounds really great.
PaulMorel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 01:31:45 PM »

Great sprite for space cat!

my computer music blog: http://www.thisisnotalabel.com
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 01:38:26 PM »

Hahah rumbled! (thanks)

Graphics were originally going to be very 8-bit style, but it might be about to turn very Amiga-ish. Fortunately I had some fake-Copper code lying around! Sprites and other stuff coming soon...

(I need to place Space Barnacle actually - keep seeing it and never getting round to it)

@Paul - That's Mao. He belongs in another game Smiley. Also he can't survive in space due to the lack of a goldfish-bowl hat.

PaulMorel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 05:07:06 PM »

@Paul - That's Mao. He belongs in another game Smiley. Also he can't survive in space due to the lack of a goldfish-bowl hat.

lol.  Give him a fishbowl!  He's awesome!

What game is he from?

my computer music blog: http://www.thisisnotalabel.com
RayRayTea
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 06:59:04 PM »

Here's the situation on the graphic front, currently just brainstorming out different ideas.

Some very early sketches (I'm not posting the pics themselves in order to avoid filling the page with two Pg Dn of pictures):
http://i29.tinypic.com/2h4m1ci.png
http://i28.tinypic.com/2zpjdwn.png
http://i30.tinypic.com/vree4l.png

Another idea was to have somewhat Amigaish graphics, maybe modular:

This is the current situation:

...cleaned up:

- and hooray, this is my first post on TIGForums!!!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 08:27:05 PM by RayRayTea » Logged
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 02:40:09 PM »

That modular guyman looks super sweet. GO WITH THAT!

This whole project looks super awesome and RayRay's graphic thingies are great so far.
Looking forward to it!

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 04:52:08 PM »

Space-Cat? Random Planets?

NOCTIS RIPOFF

RayRayTea
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 05:19:10 PM »

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Noctis: Sounds interesting, I'll try to play it once.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 08:01:50 PM »

You really should. Noctis is one of the most brilliant games ever made. Indie/freeware or not.

Hopefully this will be too.

Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 08:05:50 PM »

I approve of any game that involves furry mamals adventuring in space.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 12:24:43 AM »

Code for modular guyman complete! We're going for the amiga-ish look. I'll make a demo build when there's something to show on world generation.

Screen shot (warning: includes placeholder rubbish art;))

Next on the coding schedule:
- Jetpack and recharging energy bar
- Enemy nests (sketches)
- World: different areas, caverns, etc (**porcedural generation magic happening here**)
- Placement of the crashed ship and ship parts, and inventory
- Very simple intro/outro cutscene framework (just static images and text)

@Tantan - I really really love the idea of Noctis, but got as far as wandering around my ship in mid-space and couldn't figure anything else out. If we do a Space Cat 2, I would like to do an (inhabited) universe of planets with an exploration/trading aspect, each planet being a 2d platform world.... maybe the usual ice planets, lava planets, jungles, etc. We'll see Smiley

@PaulMorel - Mao is from another unfinished project. You may see a thread appear in the "Feedback" forum one day Wink

RayRayTea
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 03:29:28 PM »

Here's a sample of what we're currently doing, it's all a bit messy but should give you the idea:

Thinking about the world setting: http://i30.tinypic.com/9h05g0.jpg
An idea for not so cute catrobot: http://i32.tinypic.com/1zz27te.png
Some enemies: http://i25.tinypic.com/35mnxpd.png
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 03:36:13 PM »

I like the Amiga-stlye colour palette.  This could be really cool!

RayRayTea
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 03:52:05 PM »

The palette's from Chaos Engine, that's why it's good.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 04:17:22 PM »

I thought them looked like Bitmap colours!

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 06:24:50 PM »

That cat robot looks intense!
And Awesome! Kiss

thief0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 06:58:07 PM »

does the title of the game come from the VGNG?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic