Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:36:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Ragrowster [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ragrowster [FINISHED]  (Read 8862 times)
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2011, 11:55:37 AM »

Default Controls:

Arrow keys to move
X to jump
Z to shoot

Run the "config" program to change the controls.

Press up+jump to stand on two legs
Press down+jump to run on four legs

When on four legs, you can run up walls by jumping against them.  The more momentum in your jump, the higher up the wall you can run.  You can also jump off of the wall by pressing jump.

In mid-air, press jump again for a smaller secondary jump.

When standing on two legs, you can use the fire button to shoot.  Each shot costs 1 unit of energy, so aim wisely.  The shots explode after a short distance, so be careful not to hurt yourself.

If you're hit by a shot/blast, you lose 3 units of energy.

In-game commands:

/seed - displays the level seed and size
/music - turns the music off/on
/list - lists all of the players in the room

Quote from: OG post
Alright, I guess it's time to make a topic.
I kinda started developing a game without any real plan or direction, and lo, it ended up with animals.
So here is some sort of a fox with a gun.

I'm still a little unsure where this is going.  I've got a few plans, but I'm not sure if they'll quite work.  I guess we'll see what happens.
In the meantime, online play using Lacewing in MMF2 ended up being a lot easier than I had expected.  So that's something.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:45:16 AM by Fifth » Logged
Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 01:07:48 PM »

Cool! There aren't enough games about foxes with guns...

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »

Do I recogize a certain character shape that is nothing?

Also, I've come to expect only quality from you so I don't think you can fail whatever you try!

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 04:15:35 PM »

It's the same idea as in Nothing, yeah, but I recoded it from scratch for several reasons.  Not the least of which was because the original was so poorly patched-together.

As for quality, thanks, and here's hoping...!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 04:27:14 PM »

Yay Fifth! Glad to see you join. Your late entries always managed to surprise people with their quality in previous compos. Here's hoping that having a head-start you can blow everyone out of the water. Grin

I'm still going to beat you. <3

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 10:53:56 PM »

Never mind...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:23:06 PM by Fifth » Logged
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 11:13:52 PM »

Alright, I think it's time to say "good enough" on this one.

Next time I'll try not to start making a game without at least some sort of a plan first.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 12:00:17 AM »

Interesting stuff. We'll have to try and find some people to play this with.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 02:53:18 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

I can't seem to do anything at all when I get to the second menu, where you customize your character.  Which, as you can imagine, is horribly disappointing.

-PENCERKOFF

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 03:00:59 PM »

That's very strange.

The menus and options are all mouse-controlled, so you should just be able to click to get through 'em.
If that's not working, then I have no idea what's going wrong.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 01:58:14 AM »

Increpare, Terry Cavanagh, Sophie H and I tried this game for a while. Here's what we thought.

- invisible mouse ?
- nice animation on the character
- nice tail animation
- couldn't get it to work multiplayer
- couldn't shoot
- really wanted to play, but tech problems prevented it Sad

twitter: @docky
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 03:52:39 PM »

Heh, invisible mouse!  I totally didn't think of that one, but it was a stupid oversight on my part.  It only happens if you choose a fullscreen resolution, though.  I'll fix it when I can.

I've also been noticing another really annoying bug: if a player somehow disconnects via a bug (like connection problems or the game crashing?) then the bugged player and his game remain on the server forever, taking up space in a forever broken state.  It seems like the server software doesn't have any way to time-out ghost players, and I haven't got any control over that kind of thing on the client side...
This will eventually lead to some more nasty problems (due to another stupid oversight), so I'll need some sort of a bug fix here, too.

That said, there are currently three bugged games stuck on the server.  If you picked one of them, then there would be no way to collect energy, and so no way to shoot.  Sorry about that.

If you made a new game and still couldn't shoot, then I don't know what went wrong.

And I'm not sure why it wouldn't work multiplayer...

Anyway, thanks for trying it!
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 07:31:33 PM »

We got together the other day to play the games hotseat mode so unfortunately we didn't get a chance to play the online ones like this yet. But we did join a server and run around and everyone really liked the animation.

I was curious, did you animate that by hand or is it somehow procedurally animated? It's very smooth and the overall effect is great.

Just curious. Thanks! Hopefully we'll get a chance to try playing it still Grin
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 11:41:53 AM »

'Hoy, thanks!

It's animated in pieces, so I guess that counts as procedural?  Or maybe skeletal, kinda.
Hope you get a chance to play it proper, anyhow.

So, I fixed a few bugs, notably the invisible mouse bug (which, in retrospect, is probably also what Percerkoff encountered), and the bug regarding the ghost games.

Now, I still can't actually remove the ghost games, but I at least keep them from inevitably making the game select unusable, and also help players who inadvertently joined one to still be able to play.

The fixed version is HERE.
I'll also update it in the first post.
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 02:51:09 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

I had to adjust my votes after playing this.  I almost missed this one because I didn't have it working back when I went through most of the games.  Now that I can see more than a menu I am very impressed.  Had a game with the Fifth, and we agreed the fighting aspect wasn't overly impressive, but you can spend a long time playing with the movement engine and not get bored.  Animations are Fifth-grade, too, if you somehow didn't know.

New Battle Mode:

Just run around and see who can climb into more spaces.  The superior climber is the winner.

-PENCERKOFF

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 04:36:55 PM »

Thanks again, Pencerkoff!

New Battle Mode:

Just run around and see who can climb into more spaces.  The superior climber is the winner.
Actually, that would probably work really well, huh?  And I could just repurpose those little powerup spots to act as beacons you can activate...
And if I so wanted, I could keep the fighting in by having it so you could only attack opponents who own fewer beacons than you, or something...

Man, too bad the competition's over already.
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 07:40:36 PM »

It's animated in pieces, so I guess that counts as procedural?  Or maybe skeletal, kinda.

Ah, very cool! I'd love to hear more. Is this a typical kind of animation that you could point me in the direction of some tutorials or other examples? I'd like to learn more about it. I appreciate any time you can spare. Grin

Also, I like Pencerkoff's alternate battle mode idea.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic