Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:27:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)JumpTheGun [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: JumpTheGun [FINISHED]  (Read 5073 times)
sepharoth
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2011, 02:32:14 PM »

Here it is.
JUMP THE GUN

Edit: Feb. 27
Just finishing up...this is basically where the game will stop for the compo.
JUMP THE GUN
Edit: Feb. 26
HAHAHA NEW VERSION, TONS OF NEW STUFF
JUMP THE GUN
Edit: Feb. 25
We decided to change the name to "JumpTheGun," too bad. However, I've gotten major work on the game, MAJOR work. With this, school, drumline, concert band, and all that jazz I'm TIRED AS HELL.  Tired
But here you go, the fruits of our labor.
If you happen to screw up the controls you set, the arrow keys and the enter key will always work to reselect "change controls." That is, unless you set "up" to the down arrow key and "down" to the up arrow key, in which case you're an idiot. Lips Sealed
If you actually did what I just described...  Facepalm ...you can still fix it. Go into the settings folder and open up controls.ini. Change each of the control entries at the very top (up,down,left,right,jump,fire, etc.) to 0, and you should be able to navigate the menu properly. Spacebar still resets the game.
Default Controls: WASD + GV, Arrow Keys + OP

Some Screenshots:

EDIT: Feb 7
Okay, all throughout the school day I finished up some bullet stuff, so here's build 2.
WASD + G + V, IJKL + Enter + Right Shift
The reason for the awkward controls is that keyboards can't properly handle too many buttons being pressed at the same time, especially in the same region. Because of this, the game isn't actually "playable" yet, unless you want to route some gamepad input through JoyToKey, MotionInJoy, or XPadder (cough cough).
In which case this build itself is decently fun.
Spacebar resets both players, useful if you want to set a fair starting fight.

So here's the pitch:
Take Contra, a small map that's the size of one screen, pit two people against each other, and add in claymores.
What do you get? Well...this game, obviously. For now, it's codenamed Pew!Pew!!Pew!!!, though my team hates the name. I personally think it's awesome.
Still reading? Here are some more details. I'm planning on having the game a little more fast moving than Contra, and really all it's taking from Contra is the firing scheme. The only difference in controls is that Down + Fire will be mine planting instead of low shooting. Down + Jump is still up for grabs, since I don't think I want to put in semi-traversable blocks. As for art direction, low res, 8-bit-esque goodness. Here's some art prototypes.

No, that's not a thumbnail.  Wink
Arrows indicate animation, and that block is horrid, I know. Just demonstrating the size.

I haven't gotten that much done, but I'll be shoving doing much work as I can in the next 20 days to make this game perfect. For now, here's build 1.
Just a physics demo, double jump/walljump/player collision is all that's implemented. WASD + G, IJKL + Enter.

Suggestions are more than welcome.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:01:25 PM by sepharoth » Logged

tylerthedesigner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 02:40:55 PM »

What do you get? Well...this game, obviously. For now, it's codenamed PewPewPew, though my team hates the name. I personally think it's awesome.

I agree with you.
Perhaps toss in some exclamation points to further drive the point home?
Pew!Pew!!Pew!!!
sepharoth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 02:43:04 PM »

What do you get? Well...this game, obviously. For now, it's codenamed PewPewPew, though my team hates the name. I personally think it's awesome.

I agree with you.
Perhaps toss in some exclamation points to further drive the point home?
Pew!Pew!!Pew!!!
That's a capital idea!  Gentleman

sepharoth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 12:54:28 PM »

Got shooting in, check it out guise! Hand Shake Left Smiley Hand Shake Right

cystem glitch
Level 2

wack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 12:05:46 PM »

controls feel pretty good, I would suggest you detect if a player is holding against a wall / sliding and reverse the bullet direction so they can slide down while shooting easier, but that might just be my megaman training talking.

Also, I had to rename the dll with a '-debug' for it to work (v2).

You told me, never to limit myself to one style...to use any move that works...TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND!
sepharoth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 09:17:29 PM »

controls feel pretty good, I would suggest you detect if a player is holding against a wall / sliding and reverse the bullet direction so they can slide down while shooting easier, but that might just be my megaman training talking.

Also, I had to rename the dll with a '-debug' for it to work (v2).
Phew, at least it works. Also, I did go on to fix the bullet direction on the wall in build 3, which is coming. Once I solidify all of the new animations I'll put that out, and then build 4 will be the final one.

sepharoth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 12:43:28 AM »

OH GOD I GOT SO MUCH DONE.
I WILL get this done for Monday OH GOD IT'S TONIGHT.
It's going to happen.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 08:11:00 PM by sepharoth » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic