Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:45:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesToo. Much. Good. Stuff.
Poll
Question: What to do next?
JNK Spritesetter (JRST add-on) - 3 (10.3%)
The Zmix Project - 0 (0%)
MetroMania - 5 (17.2%)
Race Shooter - 2 (6.9%)
Battles Field - 3 (10.3%)
Huh? Fighter - 1 (3.4%)
DukeZone - 1 (3.4%)
Player/Rock'N'Guy - 1 (3.4%)
Dynamic Music Creator - 12 (41.4%)
Do more playtesting/feedback - 1 (3.4%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Too. Much. Good. Stuff.  (Read 2259 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: February 11, 2011, 10:16:21 PM »

Okay. So I'm moving into my new pad a couple of weeks from now. My brains are overloading with fun indie gaming concepts that I honestly can't wait (but some must) to start churning around with. Clearly if any of them are going anywhere, I'm going to have to prioritize and hammer out these projects one (or maybe two) at a time. And all of them have concepts that interplay between one-another, so it's not like there's a logical flow I can just follow; and some are closer to being finished than others.

So, an attempted "quick rundown" of these projects/ideas:

JNK Spritesetter:

I have a 64-frame sprite-design layout that, between rotations/flips thereof, and perhaps smearing/blurring thereof, can possibly produce just about any action you could want in a sidescrolling environment.

I was talking with Jayenkai about possibly finding a way to illustrate this (better than I could) and maybe integrating it into his Retro Sprite Tool to make a character creation tool/expansion to JRST.

Rough sketch (and blurry pic):

The Zmix Project:

Barring graphics (I mean, a background and banner) and some stepcharts in construction, this over-half-complete StepMania project is similar to the Xmixes found in DDR X, or the Nonstops found in Pump It Up, being a medley of themed songs from DDR titles up through DDR X/Ultramix 3. Generally, they're all 4 minutes long, give or take 10 seconds. Stepcharts are in progress, but I may need some visual aid for the graphics.

Example composition:

Lips Sealed "F'ing YouTube embedding!" (/edit)

My YouTube channel has over 20 of the 25 posted; a few got the "commercial music silent treatment," however.

MetroMania:

Sonic the Hedgehog physics and Mega Man inspired weapons meets Metroid-style gameplay. Possibly with procedurally-engineered level-worlds, ala Spelunky; but fittingly sectioned out.

Race Shooter:

Multiple players race through procedrually generated vehicle/shooter levels, with player-controlled accelerator and standard-faire shmup (+ platformer?) action. Winners of the "race" get Metroidlike powerups that allow for better manuevering or combat advantages, and the game concludes with a PvP battle. Conceptual at the moment, not entirely decided on screen orientation, but it will be primarily unidirectional.

Battles Field:

A multiplayer RPG where you make special deliveries from your "home base" (a shop of your choice) to allies, clashing with other players you encounter on your way in simplified PvP RPG battles. You can have 1-4 characters, and up to 10 abilities that determine combat options, along with a basic item supply, very streamlined. Every "home base" will also generate a 9-screen field of terrain along with it; terrains interconnect logically.

This may also be made into a Zelda-like adventure kind of game instead; but that's what I'm going with for now. Look up "antiferia" on OpenGameArt.org or DeviantArt, and you'll see she's got terrific, fitting retro-sprite work for this kind of thing, too. Almost like a "2D Dot Game Heroes" kind of thing.

Huh? Fighter:

An unnamed title so far; this mostly works out the framework for iMAGE Zero's fighting system. Probably a MUGEN project, this creates 16-24 entirely-complete movesets from popular fighting game styles into typecast characters; and a character generator produces unique moveset combinations by limiting what the commands can access. Will certainly feature an air-combo system, parrying, and male/female alternative graphics; and if possible, a variety of gameplay modes as well.

Besides, the copycat characters are ALWAYS the most popular ones, right? And this also ties into the Player/Rock'N'Guy characters/fighting styles, too.

DukeZone:

A Gentireve-inspired project that basically builds themed Duke Nukem 3D levels procedurally; and NOT by lock-and-key levels, but actually more in a multi-linear level design fashion. The keycards would mostly relate to grabbing optional items and finding some extra areas.

Player/Rock'N'Guy:

More of a long-term project, this game is like iMAGE Zero Jr. It gives you a choice between 3 characters (randomly chosen out of 24), all with unique playstyle influences, and then creates procedurally-generated gameplay based on who you get. Each character design stems from three factors: a popular gaming protagonist, a MegaMan robot master (or two) and weapon, and a SF/KoF fighting style. All of them have cameos/roles to play in one another's games, as well.

Rock'N'Guy is the name of one of the said characters, btw. My MySpace album "Conceptual" has more fleshed out character design details, if you can read blurry notebook text like my spritesheet above.

Dynamic Music Creator:

This just creates a layered, rhythm-based script to play samples of drums, guitars, bass, keyboard/organ, and "dance step" patterns; as well as a few sets of ways to rearrange them. All of it's basic stuff like Music Theory 101 (102?), besides a "solo" script; nothing too sophisticated about it. Notes are grouped concisely into 5's, to prevent melodies from going from super-low to super-high and back at random; and "power chords" are already seperately sampled. Input options I'm aiming for will include some alternative time signatures, genre influences, tempos/ranges, and ability to toggle song verses between two (styles/signatures/tempos, etc.).

None of the above.

I really honestly like playtesting and providing feedback and suggestions on projects here, as well! Maybe a bit too much for my own good, sometimes. XD
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:34:35 PM by baconman » Logged

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:34:49 AM »

I voted for the music creator, but only because it's the project I'd have the most fun with.

I like making tools.   Hand Fork LeftSmiley

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
krasimir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 12:47:56 AM »

Haha, I can't believe I voted the music creator in jest and it's the most popular choice!  Noir

angrygeometry
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 06:14:53 AM »

also went with the dynamic music creator. sounds like an INTERESTING PROJECT.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 12:47:39 PM »

metromania sounds fun, although I'm not sold on the procedural bits.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic