Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:26:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsGDC 2011 :: Tuesday meetup/hangout at the library
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: GDC 2011 :: Tuesday meetup/hangout at the library  (Read 12657 times)
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2011, 03:22:39 AM »

WHAT: Indie get-together and hangout time

WHEN: Tuesday the first (day two of GDC), afternoon to evening

WHERE: San Fransisco Public Library, 20-30 minutes' walk from GDC

WHO: You! (and whoever else shows up)

WHY: INDIE LOVE

Migrating this from the "Get-Togethers" thread for maximum solidification, the plan right now is thus:

4:00 Tuesday the 1st (after day 2 of GDC ends) a bunch of us indies start gathering in a mass near the exit of Moscone North (the side the Indie Summit is on -- correct me if I've got this wrong)

4:30 or thereabouts, we start heading down Market street.  It's a 20-30 minute walk through a tolerable neighborhood to the San Fran Public Library, main branch.

5:30 a second group congregates and leaves together -- this is for folks who want to stick around for the 4:15-5:15 "rapid fire indies" talk at the Indepdendent Games Summit.

Until 8:00 or as long as people care to stay, we hang around and do indie-things.  Discussing ideas, drawing things, showing off, or just hanging around.

Afterwards we break into smaller groups and get dinner.

Tuesday was looking like the most generally non-conflicting day based on other GDC events I'd heard about so far.

The Library was chosen because it's got ample space, power and internet.  That and they ought to be tolerant of us squatting there for as much as a few hours.  Plus, there's food nearby.  I'm going to call there and reserve a conference room (or two if enough people speak up) for our use; I'll post and make an edit here when I do.

If anyone has any suggestions for improving this plan, let 'em loose.  And, if when the time rolls around and the turnout isn't worth it, we can abort.  I expect it ought to be at least ten to fifteen people, though, which is more than enough for a good time.

Lastly, the more the merrier, so bring friends!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 03:47:28 PM by Cellulose » Logged

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 12:24:26 PM »

I have submitted a room reservation request...

(Rather quiet here, isn't it?  I'm having difficulty gauging interest.)

KingSlizzard
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 04:30:33 PM »

I'm down

Auratus
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 11:25:25 PM »

Well, I'm still up for it. and I would be surprised if the dozens of folks that replied in the other thread suddenly lost interest.

Here's hoping that these few replies will create some kind of snowball effect :D
grapefrukt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 11:36:55 PM »

this sounds like fun. i'm in!
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 05:58:30 AM »

I was vaguely worried I might be coming off as a control freak about this whole meetup thing.  Plans weren't really going anywhere so I figured I'd take charge of making sure all went smoothly.  <_<  Take the role of magnificent spaceman.

Anyway.  This ought to be fun.

Also, Grapefrukt:  I still have two moustaches stuck to my computer.  They outlasted all the other stickers.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:15:48 AM by Cellulose » Logged

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 03:55:44 PM »

Pardon the double-post, but this is a call for assistance.

To reserve conference rooms at the library, I need a San Fransisco resident.  We can make do without them, but they'll provide a space for us to be loud (as we will be) as well as tables, chairs and power outlets.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 04:42:22 PM »

I could probably try to help out with this... But my ID has been expired for almost a year. Will I need a valid form of ID? If I get you the reservation will you erect a framed picture of me looking handsome with candles and gifts placed around it and a plaque that says, "Our Favorite Person"??

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 04:46:38 PM »

I could probably try to help out with this... But my ID has been expired for almost a year. Will I need a valid form of ID? If I get you the reservation will you erect a framed picture of me looking handsome with candles and gifts placed around it and a plaque that says, "Our Favorite Person"??

Can it use the GIF image from the 'Drome?  Tongue

And thank you very much for extending your help; I don't think an ID is needed -- I'll E-mail you.

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 04:57:27 PM »

San Fransisco
Francisco.

I'll probably hit.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 07:31:34 PM »

I have received your email and will do what I can to help  Beer! Hand Thumbs Up Right

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 11:32:40 AM »

Okay.  So.  It looks like we're going to get our hands on one meeting room which is rated for fifteen people.  I'm guessing extra people will spill out into other areas of the library.

The room is on the fourth floor, and we can use it until as late as 7:30-ish.  The library closes at 8:00.

Admittedly these restrictions are starting to make me think about looking at other locations again, though I think it ought to work out reasonably well if we move ahead.  If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 03:10:17 PM »

The library called me. I'm going down there at 4 tomorrow to view and register the room for you guys. You already have the time and stuff set up, right? Do I have to remember any specific information?

ink.inc
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 03:11:33 PM »

i want to go

Sad
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 03:48:39 PM »

The library called me. I'm going down there at 4 tomorrow to view and register the room for you guys. You already have the time and stuff set up, right? Do I have to remember any specific information?

Not really.  Just tell them we're independent game developers and try to fool them into thinking we won't be loud and horrible.  Tongue

Thanks for the help with this, man.  I'll bring the incense for your shrine.

Yshaana
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 03:43:08 PM »

I am in, as long as it doesn't conflict with our press meetings. I will see with the rest of the team if they are interested to come too Smiley

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 06:49:50 PM »

The library is pretty much "booked" now, thanks to Mr. Hubans.

Can't wait to hang out, show off, talk design, play and jam with all you gents.  Smiley  My memories of indie hangouts at last GDC (my first) consistently give me warm fuzzies inside.

BlindWolf8
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 09:33:44 PM »

This sounds so fun. Smiley *reminisces about the days at FIEA* How late will we be staying out? Wednesday's the start of the Main Conference/Expo Floor opens. I have a friend who'll be rooming with me but I don't think he's getting in until late. (11:30ish) Guess he'll be missing out.

PS: Can someone contact me in person when you guys are meeting up at 4 that day? I may get lost with all the hub-bub. An "OMG, TIGSOURCE!" sign/flag would be cool too. Grin
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 09:38:57 PM by BlindWolf8 » Logged
lynx_
Level 0

:)

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 02:00:43 PM »

I'm going to try to make it, so long as various duties/shiny distractions don't get in the way.  Looking forward to it!
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 03:04:10 PM »

PS: Can someone contact me in person when you guys are meeting up at 4 that day? I may get lost with all the hub-bub. An "OMG, TIGSOURCE!" sign/flag would be cool too. Grin

We'll be congregating when GDC ends for the day, in a pretty common area.  (Moscone's north entrance)  I might be able to have a friend call you, though I don't have a phone myself.  PM me a number if you care to.

*wiggle*

Can't wait for GDC happy funtimes.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic