Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:36:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Crevice Climbers - Exploit a rival explorer in a race to the top! [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Crevice Climbers - Exploit a rival explorer in a race to the top! [FINISHED]  (Read 14889 times)
charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2011, 11:12:09 AM »

A 2 player adventurous romp. Players take the roll of rivaling explorers determined to be the first to climb to the top of this or that particular crevice. "What rewards await you atop this hearty slab of rock," you say? Whatever you seek!

WEB PLAYER

Built with Processing, requires Java.

Both players start at the bottom of a mountainous crevice and must make their way to the top. You progress upward by shooting cables from your snazzy horizontal grappling guns, effectively building yourselves a "ladder" to the top. The catch is that each gun has a long reload time, so both players must make use of one another's cables to get to the top. Oh, and pressing "action" while near the other player will knock them down.

If you play a couple of rounds, you'll see a couple surprises.

I've been into indie game development for a while (and have been a long time lurker here), but this is my first real foray into programming. I really wanted to join in on the fun with you guys, and I came up with the idea by thinking "what type of game am I actually capable of coding?"
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:04:28 PM by charlestheoaf » Logged

Animal Phase (twitter) | Local TIGSource: Crevice Climbers | Past: Puny Human
charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:16:18 AM »

Yes, it the game is currently playable. No, it is not currently pretty:

At the moment, the winning condition is jumping out of the screen and crashing the game.

By the way, if anyone knows how I could go about allowing control config options to let people with different keyboards play, I'd love the help! I assume I could store values for controls in a text file, then read that file and pass the values into a variable within the program? That would be my plan, but I haven't figured out file i/o yet.

charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 11:13:05 AM »

Refining the art style, just have a background image in place:

I'm new to pixel art.

The game also now has proper win conditions, replay screen etc!

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 02:39:22 PM »

At first I was thinking Ice Climbers, from the aesthetic. I really like the idea, and it sounds mighty interesting; perhaps adding winds the higher you get, even enemies, and perhaps 'unstable cliffs', could liven it up?
charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »

I've been thinking about various ways to add variety with different shaped levels. Wind might be a good idea too.

But for now, I'm just going to see how much of this I can figure out how to program in before the deadline Smiley

charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:08:30 PM »

I've been bogged down getting a new job and a few other things, but progress is being made slowly and steadily! The game feels solid and has no known bugs (until I add more features, at least Hand Thumbs Up Right )

The game will features sounds and a few little ditties from the illustrious Jocelyn Reyes.

charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 03:09:34 PM »

The game is fully functional and feels great. It's somewhat skill-based, but it works well for gamers and non-gamers alike.

It's intentionally very simple, now I am finishing art & animations and m'lady is adding some awesome sounds. I'm also going to spend the rest of the compo adding extra features, like traps or powerups in the environment that you can take advantage of. It'll probably be 2-3 levels that repeat, and each in each "round" different traps will show up.

RadiationBLUR
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 07:12:56 AM »

Look's Great.

Pandas for you:  Panda Panda Panda

cant wait to play it!
Smiley

-RadiationBlur
charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 11:25:42 AM »

Thanks for the pandas!

Alternate snow theme:

charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 06:07:43 PM »

Got a bit of a soundtrack in now. Just trying to add some extra polish, features, and hopefully animations before the deadline!!!

charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 10:16:46 PM »

It's DONE! Check first post for download links & info.

or click for windows download right here: http://www.filedropper.com/creviceclimberswindows

charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »

I've had this theme song stuck in my head all day, I hope everyone else gets to enjoy it as much Smiley

Hmm, now that I'm on my Mac at work, I realize that .rar was not a good file choice. I'll put up a .zip when I get home tonight. I'll also put up a web player, at least as long as I don't upset my host for using too much bandwidth  Wink

Would .zip be preferable for Linux as well?

charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 06:05:28 PM »

Put a link to play it in your browser, this will be up until I upset my webhost Smiley

New mac build coming soon.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 09:25:09 AM »

When I try downloading for Windows it's just a loop of clicking "Download" and entering the captcha.

"File Details:
Filename: CreviceClimbers_windows.rar
Size: 0 KB, Type: rar
Date Posted: Monday, 28th February 2011, 01:1javascript:void(0);1"

I'll play the web build when I have a friend around, though.
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 05:13:29 AM »

Download link is broken (windows)
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 06:01:49 PM »

Hey we had some fun with this game. Quote: "What are we trying to do again? / I don't know something about riches and glory."

At first we didn't know you could push each other down so we thought it was kind of a twist on that game where you take turns saying numbers until the total passes a certain amount. (Turns out the game I was thinking of is a variation on a game called Nim). So we played a few rounds like that.

Eventually we figured out about pushing each other and the super jump pickup and those things kept our attention for a few more minutes.

I like the artwork but I don't think the characters and the background go together completely. It's like they have different resolutions. The background has large pixels and the people are made up of little pixels. In other words, the visuals are not internally consistent.

It's a neat little game, thanks!
charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 01:02:39 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! I regret that in the hubbub of the compo, I completely missed some of these posts, and I apologize! I'm actually taking a look at cleaning the code up and doing a few updates, which brought me back to this thread.

@Fluff: the whole thing was rushed due to the compo deadlines, which lead to a lot of the inconsistencies. I've been working on some pixel-rendering algorithms, and am thinking of doing something a little fancier (that should also get rid of the inconsistency).

And thanks for the reference to the Nim game, that is pretty interesting (and actually is similar to the gameplay that I was going for in Crevice Climbers, but the knocking down mechanic allows for some last-minute saves (so a player can't just set themselves in at the right timing from the beginning and ride the tempo straight to victory).

(Also, in response to broken downloads, I simply removed the download links entirely. For some reason it wasn't compiling correctly, and only worked on some Macs, not others. I may be be able to sort this out in the future, but for now, web only.)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic