Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:47:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Post if you just laughed at your code.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: Post if you just laughed at your code.  (Read 86625 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 01, 2013, 03:03:33 PM »

That was an hour well spent.
It appears so.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 02, 2013, 09:34:49 AM »

For the curious, this is what it does: https://soundcloud.com/evan-balster/perilymph-test-demonstration

It's coming along very well.

that is super cool

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: August 03, 2013, 02:46:10 PM »

I'm working on Perilymph madly and it's getting cooler and cooler...  I'll bring it up in the music forum sometime in the next week or two.

Anyway, came here to say that I've got a function called void stripShuffle() in one of my graphics classes and every time I read the name I think it's some corny pseudoerotic Megatouch game you'd see at a bar.

(Its actual function is to re-shuffle the vertices of a composed triangle strip into a polygon outline for the purpose of consistency with other geometry.  A special tessellation mode lets the renderer un-shuffle this data when setting up the VBO so it doesn't need to dynamically tessellate it.)

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 05, 2013, 02:06:47 AM »

I just spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what caused my game to freeze.
I was attempting to play a screenshot Facepalm

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: August 05, 2013, 02:41:59 AM »

The framerate probably sucks.

I feel weird whenever I try to call up a function handlung a Gui::Button - Alt+M, b, u, t, t.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 05, 2013, 03:53:04 AM »

I just spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what caused my game to freeze.
I was attempting to play a screenshot Facepalm
Ahahaha, I can actually relate to that - making similar mistakes when taking screenshots of software I wrote. And there were the times when I helped out my friends with computer problems through skype, and I kept clicking on the video stream.
SuperDisk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 08, 2013, 03:53:36 AM »

The framerate probably sucks.

I feel weird whenever I try to call up a function handlung a Gui::Button - Alt+M, b, u, t, t.

Kinda like on Windows, starting Paint you can just do "Start -> P-A-I-N -> Enter"
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #447 on: August 09, 2013, 01:35:19 AM »

Evan Balster> Impressive work!

---
Code:
namespace 
{
class FuckingProtobuf
{
public:
~FuckingProtobuf()
{
google::protobuf::ShutdownProtobufLibrary();
}
} const remove_memory_leaks;

}

Made me giggle then made me sad.

Why this code:
The idea here is that because of the way Protobuf use globals internally, it makes memory leaks, or more exactly, your memory leak detector will report leaks, if you don't call this shutdown function before the end of the application execution (either before or after main() is ok).
Now, it wouldn't be a problem if these globals weren't tied to the dynamic module they were created in, which means that if you have dlls (yeah I know, you should avoid them, but I just can't by design, think about plugins for example) and you are on Windows (not sure it's true on other platforms) then you have to make sure each dll also calls this function.....
I'll hack something to automate this in my project later, but it's fucking annoying. I don't even have the option to use protobuf as a dll, which would solve the problem, because the authors says there can be some unexpected issues in this case on Windows.
Frankly I think they just are not willing to support Windows well, which is one reasons I was looking at alternatives like Thrift (that is not better on Windows support...) and Captain Proto which is made by the guy originally behind Protobuf.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: August 27, 2013, 10:12:11 AM »

Hard-coded vertices for a piano keyboard.  That was an hour well spent.

Code:
Sequencer::UI::UI(App *_app) :
Interface(_app)
{
//Draw a piano.  Yes, this is clearly a smart way to do this.
const float YE = .8f, YT = .7f, YF=.3f, YB=.0f,
XK=1.0f/7.0f, XE=1.0f/12.0f,
XF[] = {.6f*XK,1.2f*XK, 1.8f*XK,2.4f*XK,
3.5f*XK,4.1f*XK, 4.7f*XK,5.3f*XK, 5.9f*XK,6.5f*XK};

//C
octave.shape(WHITE).build
(XK*0, YB)(XK*0, YT)(XE* 0,YE)(XE* 1,YE)
(XF[0],YT)(XF[0],YF)(XK* 1,YF)(XK* 1,YB);
//C#
octave.shape(BLACK).build
(XF[0],YF)(XF[0],YT)(XE* 1,YE)(XE* 2,YE)(XF[1],YT)(XF[1],YF);
//D
(XK*1,YB)(XK*1,YF)(XF[1],YF)(XF[1],YT) (XE* 2,YE)(XE* 3,YE)
(XF[2],YT)(XF[2],YF)(XK*2,YF)(XK*2,YB);
//D#
(XF[2],YF)(XF[2],YT)(XE* 3,YE)(XE* 4,YE)(XF[3],YT)(XF[3],YF);
//E
(XK*3, YB)(XK*3, YT)(XE* 5,YE)(XE* 4,YE)
(XF[3],YT)(XF[3],YF)(XK* 2,YF)(XK* 2,YB);
//F
(XK*3, YB)(XK*3, YT)(XE* 5,YE)(XE* 6,YE)
(XF[4],YT)(XF[4],YF)(XK* 4,YF)(XK* 4,YB);
//F#
(XF[4],YF)(XF[4],YT)(XE* 6,YE)(XE* 7,YE)(XF[5],YT)(XF[5],YF);
//G
(XK*4,YB)(XK*4,YF)(XF[5],YF)(XF[5],YT) (XE* 7,YE)(XE* 8,YE)
(XF[6],YT)(XF[6],YF)(XK*5,YF)(XK*5,YB);
//G#
(XF[6],YF)(XF[6],YT)(XE* 8,YE)(XE* 9,YE)(XF[7],YT)(XF[7],YF);
//A
(XK*5,YB)(XK*5,YF)(XF[7],YF)(XF[7],YT) (XE* 9,YE)(XE*10,YE)
(XF[8],YT)(XF[8],YF)(XK*6,YF)(XK*6,YB);
//A#
(XF[8],YF)(XF[8],YT)(XE*10,YE)(XE*11,YE)(XF[9],YT)(XF[9],YF);
//B
(XK*7, YB)(XK*7, YT)(XE*12,YE)(XE*11,YE)
(XF[9],YT)(XF[9],YF)(XK* 6,YF)(XK* 6,YB);

octave.shape(LIGHTGRAY).build(Shape::LINE)(XK*1,YB)(XK*1,YF);
octave.shape(LIGHTGRAY).build(Shape::LINE)(XK*2,YB)(XK*2,YF);
octave.shape(LIGHTGRAY).build(Shape::LINE)(XK*3,YB)(XK*3,YT)(XE* 5,YE);
octave.shape(LIGHTGRAY).build(Shape::LINE)(XK*4,YB)(XK*4,YF);
octave.shape(LIGHTGRAY).build(Shape::LINE)(XK*5,YB)(XK*5,YF);
octave.shape(LIGHTGRAY).build(Shape::LINE)(XK*6,YB)(XK*6,YF);
octave.shape(LIGHTGRAY).build(Shape::LINE)(XK*7,YB)(XK*7,YT)(XE*12,YE);
}

And yes the program is as cool as it looks.

I'm a sucker for music softwares! I want that. gimme!  Kiss

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #449 on: August 27, 2013, 07:37:28 PM »

Heh, though on a more serious note surely that pollevent should be its own loop if you want to handle more than one event per game tick?

Sir Wolf
Level 0

A wolf cub growing up

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: September 02, 2013, 02:57:54 AM »

Got a good laugh out of easy mistakes.

I was implementing a new feature and wondering why it made some game objects jump wildly all over the place. The new code didn't touch object positions at all, merely observed them to make some calculations off of them. With some commenting/uncommenting experiments I narrowed it down to one line.

Code:
position = object.position += offset

Ah, well that was dum of me, accidentally put in += instead of a +. Well, that was an easy one, it should work now.

So I try it again, and it still doesn't work. This time I find all my objects getting piled up in the same position in the game world. Duh huh. I look at the line I just "fixed".

Code:
position = object.position = offset

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shawn
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: September 02, 2013, 03:34:26 AM »

The above error is always way funnier when it's late, you haven't been committing to your VCS enough and it slips in in a conditional. Of course you're compiling with warnings off because you have several years of legacy "unsigned mismatch" that you don't want to fix so it takes ages and ages to find that little innocuous "if( obj.id = RULES_ID ) //game rules object".

Recently I've been writing yoda expressions and I'm not sure if I like reading them or not, but at least they don't compile if you miss your second =

(for those that don't know, a yoda expression is something along the lines of "if( RULES_ID == obj.id )" - the constant cant be modified so if you try to assign the compiler will wake you up. )

Iso
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 02, 2013, 03:54:11 AM »

Got a good laugh out of easy mistakes.

I was implementing a new feature and wondering why it made some game objects jump wildly all over the place. The new code didn't touch object positions at all

Similar kind of mistake made me laugh/go nuts the other night.

I hadn't touched the code that generated my worlds vertices. Yet suddenly after changing how the drawing code works, the vertices exploded and the world went crazy. It was all warped and seemed to get exponentially further and further away.

I'd forgotten that I changed the position vectors from Structs to a more complex Object... Yup, all the position calculations where I'd done something like:

Code:
vectorPosition = Vector.Position;
vectorPosition *= worldOffset;

Were now using object references and causing every vector manipulation to have a cumulative effect.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: September 25, 2013, 01:51:51 PM »

Code:
Method draw_line:vector(str$,xoff%,yoff%,ufont:font,wlimit%=-1,hlimit%=0,charlimit%=0,dontactuallydraw%=False)

dontactuallydraw

Ok

I had a perfectly justifiable reason for doing this but it still made my belly wiggle to see it again.
Iso
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 26, 2013, 05:07:16 AM »

After working on the Entity Component System side of my game, I finally had the need to delve back into my segmentation/block code, as placing items in the world was causing the vertex buffers to be recalculated when it wasn't necessary.

There's some code in there that marks segments as "dirty" and therefore need updating, I forgot that I added a control variable when setting flags on the bitmask called "IsDirtyTouch", eheheh... Dirty touches.

George Michaels
Level 0

I like big butts and I can not lie

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 03, 2013, 06:06:34 PM »

I just wrote this line:

Code:
void*** g_entities = 0;

I feel like I've performed an eternal sin with all those asterisk's

Yeah, that.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: October 03, 2013, 07:40:15 PM »

fwiw you could just use a void* and cast to type*** when you want to actually use it. Having the dimensionality "built in" is nice though... I guess Smiley

What's the use case here? looks like you could have an entity_ref_t union or similar, so you've got some sort of "RTTI" and therefore some way to check your errors/sanity when you need to (and less (type***)g_entities everywhere).

Code:
typedef union {
    uint8_t type_id;
    struct {
        uint8_t type_id; //ensures that type_id is always available
        Tile* tile;
    } ref_tile;
} entity_ref_t;

Not sure if it'll be cleaner or not for you without knowing the use case though Smiley

George Michaels
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 03, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »

What I had originally was an entity struct like this:
Code:
struct t_entity {
  unsigned int id;
  t_vector position;

void* components[COMPONENTS_LENGTH];
}
... and g_entities was an array of those.

I decided to refactor it to just be an array of components, ie: each entity is an unsigned int and all its components are void pointers. The void*** is pretty much an array of arrays of void pointers. I'm using documentation on what each components type is in favour of RTTI because I'm too lazy to implement any sort of RTTI..

It works exactly how I want it to though, but I just feel so bad doing it for some reason lol

Yeah, that.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: October 03, 2013, 08:38:04 PM »

With that sort of system you don't really have flexibility with your components though as far as I can see, because each entity has COMPONENTS_LENGTH components and they're always there and present (or else presumably NULL).

I've found that it's great to be able to hold and control, say, 2 sprite components rather than build layers into the sprite component itself - means that a component is actually a component, instead of a container of components.

Same goes for physics shapes, sound objects, and most importantly scripts or logic components.
Having the position reside in the entity itself also looks like a bit of a hack.
I also dont think i've ever seen backwards t_type instead of type_t Smiley

Seems like you're definitely in that middle ground between entity and component paradigms. We do this in KAG and "it works", but a proper component system doesn't need entities containing the components... I won't rant about this philosophy stuff any more here though, it's not particularly funny.

George Michaels
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 03, 2013, 09:25:25 PM »

With that sort of system you don't really have flexibility with your components though as far as I can see, because each entity has COMPONENTS_LENGTH components and they're always there and present (or else presumably NULL).
Every component starts off as null, then giving an entity a component is just making that void pointer point to something. So for example a position component, g_entities[id][COMPONENT_POSITION] is a pointer to a vector.

I also dont think i've ever seen backwards t_type instead of type_t Smiley
Haha I've been doing it like that for ages, I just like to see the type identifier first rather than last. Namespaces start with n_, global variables are g_, enum's are e_, structures/classes are t_, function pointer typedef's are f_, and function parameters are just _.

If you want to have a proper look at the source it's on BitBucket.

Yeah, that.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic