Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:10:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Task Manager [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Task Manager [FINISHED]  (Read 4941 times)
facepalm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2011, 05:25:09 AM »

TASK MANAGER
Desktop minigames

Hi,
yesterday I brainstormed and came up with an idea for a Versus Comp game.
The game is a stupid multiplayer "minigame" collection with tasks like: "Set the computer's time to X", "Minimize this window" "Create a file called X to Y" etc..

Edit:
Grab the finished game here
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 05:09:48 PM by facepalm » Logged

facepalm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 04:47:07 PM »

Ok, the game is basically finished. I'm quite satisfied with what I could come up with in about five days and the musician I worked with created just what he was supposed to.

I'm pretty much done with the concept but there's surely still room for improvement. Maybe some day in the future I'll add more tasks and customization possibilities to the game but for now here is the download link.

Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 06:26:41 PM »

Recently we hooked a desktop to a TV and played through all the games. We didn't spend long on this but I thought it worth relaying our experience.

Your menu made a good impression. Very cool effects. When we started the game, though, the owner of the computer seemed distraught. He said, and I quote, "What? I don't want a bunch of junk text files all over my computer!" It was his computer, so we didn't get to play. Too bad! I thought it was a neat idea.

It seems like the kind of game that would be played in a computer lab somewhere, during an unsupervised computer science class perhaps, or after school. I see two people on separate computers and a referee giving them tasks. Maybe with a few curious onlookers hanging about, chiming in from time to time to resolve close calls.

It's a cool concept! Thanks for sharing!
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 05:02:38 PM »

Great idea - like a test for your sysadmin powers. I can see this being quite entertaining drunk, with the added risk of doing something bad to your PC... I also like the presentation - both audio and video make quite a dry game a lot more entertaining.

I came across a problem on my Win7 laptop, which popped up this dialogue a couple of times:

The game carried on OK though. Not sure what you were up to in System32?!?

Will
facepalm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 12:12:55 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! I'm sorry for the error which I guess is related to the way I detect the directory from which the game is executed.

C# code:
Code:
string workingDirectory = Directory.GetCurrentDirectory();

I did some research and apparently the correct way to do that would be:
Code:
string workingDirectory = System.Reflection.Assembly.GetEntryAssembly.Location;

I've never seen the old method cause any problems before even though I've used it on tons of computers.
I'll try to fix the problem as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 12:21:46 AM by facepalm » Logged

cystem glitch
Level 2

wack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 12:16:51 AM »

This game was cool and the presentation is attractive and fairly well polished. I played it a handful of times but just got variations on 3 tasks though, it would probably benefit from an expanded roster of task types.

You told me, never to limit myself to one style...to use any move that works...TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic