Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 10:23:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallas3sfxr-b
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: as3sfxr-b  (Read 14504 times)
increpare
« on: February 24, 2011, 01:30:26 PM »

This is half-feedback half-announcement, but

I made a mod of Tom Vian's flash port of sfxr

It has the following novelties:

1: persistent playlist
2: triangle waves (more substantial than sine waves, less harsh than saw waves)
3: pink noise (much softer than white noise)
4: extra 'change pitch' channel + 'pitch period' channel - useful for arpeggiation
5: share sounds by linking people directly
6: air version
7: gratuitous equalizer
8: ability to lock individual parameters during
9: look into delegating some processing to pixel bender

I'm totally willing to add any cool stuff that people might suggest...

OH, someone else was saying they couldn't see the instruction/credit text at the bottom of the page once.  If you notice this as well, please et me know.

TO DO LIST:
fix bug where running several copies at once can screw up history
think about mp3 exporter
think about presets
think about adding sound-combiner (micro-sequencer)
think about how I might split up the interface
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 01:03:50 AM by increpare » Logged
pgil
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 02:39:26 PM »

Cool  Cool The new options are fun, and I like the little history window. These are the only issues I noticed:

-Is there a way to not have the arpeggios repeat?
-I get lag sometimes when changing sounds... It only seems to happen when I have noise with overtones. After the sounds are cached there's no lag, though.
-A big list of sliders gets kind of confusing. Have you thought about different ways to visualize certain options? For example, the volume and pitch envelopes could be vertical, or shown as a line graph... Might help break things up visually.

These are all pretty minor things though. Thanks for this.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:49:44 PM by pgil » Logged
increpare
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 03:12:13 PM »

-Is there a way to not have the arpeggios repeat?
If you have a pitch slide they won't repeat verbatim, but the basic answer is 'no'

-I get lag sometimes when changing sounds... It only seems to happen when I have noise with overtones. After the sounds are cached there's no lag, though.
Yeah, that option slows things down.  Don't think there's anything I can do to speed it up.

-A big list of sliders gets kind of confusing. Have you thought about different ways to visualize certain options? For example, the volume and pitch envelopes could be vertical, or shown as a line graph... Might help break things up visually.
I haven't, yet.  I should, but I suspect that would lead me very far afield...
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 03:27:42 PM »

I love this, is there any way to have it always save to the same folder though? or is that down to my browser, just so i can have one folder it always automatically saves to...
increpare
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 03:35:52 PM »

I love this, is there any way to have it always save to the same folder though? or is that down to my browser, just so i can have one folder it always automatically saves to...
Thanks.  It's possible within AIR, but I don't think I have any control over it in vanilla flash Sad  Best you can do is to have a shortcut to the directory in your folder browser.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 06:15:04 PM »

Oh well, that's a pity, but no biggie  Shrug
Great tool anyway though, it saves me having to find sfxr on my box every time I want to use it, or if I want to use it from school or something...
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 06:27:17 PM »

this is lovely, thank you

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 06:47:06 PM »

so many new options and a playlist...
well this is truly fantastic!!  Beer!

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
SFBTom
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 07:04:04 PM »

It's looking great so far, really cool to see someone take it further!

One thing I wanted to add to the original but never got the time was more presets. Especially now with all the new options, there must be some iconic sounds that aren't covered, it's just a case of finding them and randomising around a few settings.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 07:29:02 PM »

Suggestions:

1) Continue to be awesome.

2) Perhaps buttons to slow-down, speed-up the playback time of a sound-effect?  I don't mean alter the pitch, but rather the length of time.  I remember using the old sfx-r and finding it a bit difficult.  I wanted the jump sound to take longer, but still go through the same 'motions'.  I don't remember it being easy.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 07:30:30 PM »

Awesome tool!

I don't know much about Flash development but is it possible to have it as a standalone app? As in, not have to go online to work with it?

Thanks for this thing Smiley

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 08:03:33 PM »

pretty great, thanks, will use it

SirNoodles
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 08:56:43 PM »

What about MP3 saving? Great tool otherwise, much thanks.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 09:23:01 PM »

MP3 would be great

Gazillion: if you scroll down you should see AIR version, that should work offline as an exe.

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »

I would like an option to play through my entire play list automatically an without delay.
Otherwise this is great and I look forward to using it.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 09:46:29 PM »

haha hehe hoho

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 11:33:14 PM »

Excellent work. Cheers Smiley

eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 11:45:56 PM »

I have hired your program as my sound designer. It will work for even less than Chinese migrant workers. Thanks!

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 12:02:20 AM »

We are moved to tears by the size of this thing.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
increpare
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 12:28:20 AM »

It's looking great so far, really cool to see someone take it further!
Thanks.  as3sfxr has been very good to me <3

One thing I wanted to add to the original but never got the time was more presets. Especially now with all the new options, there must be some iconic sounds that aren't covered, it's just a case of finding them and randomising around a few settings.
Yes, I'll definitely have to think about that (as well as broadening the existing categories).  It was on my list to do, but I couldn't think of anything.  If anyone has any suggestions for new sound categories, please share them with me here via the copy link button and.

It might be fun to add an ability for people to define their own presets (like a more elaborate version of the current one, in addition to locking tracks outright you can set ranges for variables, say).  But it would have to be done thoughtfully...hmm

We are moved to tears by the size of this thing.
By size you mean it's too big filesizewise?  I did a special 'static' build of it to fix some bugs draknek has on flash, which made it a bit bigger.  And the AIR standalone is...well...AIR.  Or window-size?

What about MP3 saving? Great tool otherwise, much thanks.
I'll look into this.

I would like an option to play through my entire play list automatically an without delay.
That's definitely possible, but it might end up a bit of a memoryhog.  Also, it sounds like you want to make a sequencer of the playlist.  That's not what it's for Wink

2) Perhaps buttons to slow-down, speed-up the playback time of a sound-effect?  I don't mean alter the pitch, but rather the length of time.  I remember using the old sfx-r and finding it a bit difficult.  I wanted the jump sound to take longer, but still go through the same 'motions'.  I don't remember it being easy.
Oh, those would be very meaningful additions I think.  
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:43:30 AM by increpare » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic