Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:36:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingChaos Chimera
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Chaos Chimera  (Read 1646 times)
Lazy Brain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2011, 08:33:47 AM »

I have a new game in the works, which is a sequel to an earlier game titled Factorium. This game features an expanded list of actions, as well as three levels and multiple bosses. I currently have a playable build on the indie db, and I would love some feedback on how it's "fun" factor is!

Description:
A "Drag & Drop SHUMP" Chaos Chimera features 16 unique actions the player can drag n drop into the playfield. Players have to balance strategic thinking with quick reflexes to succeed!

Screenshot:

This game is still a work in progress, but I'd like to get a feel for the pacing and preferences for the actions. Most of the actions are pretty well developed, while others are still a bit conceptual. Let me know which ones are winners! Also, any input on the level design and challenge are of much interest to me Wink

Download:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/chaos-chimera

Thanks for playing!

-Johnny B.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 10:45:04 PM »

I liked Factorium, so I'm downloading now.

I like what I saw so far in the video and screenshots.

Edit: I liked using the ice, fire, and stone the most as attacks and draw as a secondary command.

Sometimes dodging was a bit tricky while selecting an attack, but an option to play the game in either a window or fullscreen would help. Also, it would be nice to be able to change the volume either at the title screen or while pausing, since I play with headphones on and the default volume was uncomfortably loud.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:45:37 PM by ithamore » Logged

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Lazy Brain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 05:50:01 PM »

Thanks for checking it out ithamore! I feared there would be issues with selecting attacks while dodging, you just reaffirmed that (in a good way Tongue). After much consideration, I think the best route for this game will be to make it more of a "metroidvania" type game. I was sort of basing the level design on gradius, but it just doesn't really feel right lol. I am pleased to report that there will be sound and fullscreen options, they're just not in there yet Tongue

Thanks again for playing! I'll be doing updates regularly Smiley

-Johnny B.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 06:39:58 AM »

Switching my attention between selecting actions and moving in the game became easier after a few more plays. I would often keep an attack clicked on and held until I would to use against enemies. By the way, it did remind me of Gradius.

You could keep this level as is and then switch to a Metroidvania design. It could represent that the initial journey is over and that the player is now deep inside the planet.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:47:27 AM by ithamore » Logged

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Lazy Brain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 08:36:29 AM »

In the beginning, the player will have to unlock most of the actions, so I think that may help with the learning curve. What I'm thinking in regards to the gradius type sections is to have them installed in the metroid type maps, sort of how megaman x has those elevator segements from time to time (Boomer Kwaniger, Split Mushroom to name a few). Then just do a morph-ball type thing to let players bypass it or repeat it after they've completed it once.

This game is by far the biggest lazy brain project, so I thought I'd do a quick game titled Bug Hunt just to keep up appearances, which ended up getting some attention on Indiegames.com, so that was cool Wink

Thank you for you input! It really helps!

-Johnny B.
Pocketninja
Level 0

Pocketninja - Kurt Waldowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 09:58:37 PM »

YES! More Factorium!   Hand Joystick Kiss Hand Joystick

Very good so far mate!

A few areas I could see improvement in (that is, if you haven't planned these yet already, as it is a WIP):
-When drag and dropping, I would like to see what I selected (like in Factorium, if I recall, a transparent version of the move following the cursor solved this.)
-A way to cancel a move after you have picked it up and dragged it around and then thought, "Oh shit, I change my mind."

I have some a few other suggjestions, but I am going to pass out. Ill edit this post tomorrow! Cheers!

Beer! Tired

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic