Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:58:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)ALIANTE! [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: ALIANTE! [FINISHED]  (Read 21956 times)
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 03:25:45 PM »

A very neat game and one of the few (only?) racing games in the compo.

Our group couldn't really get the hang of battle. We liked the controls system but couldn't get used to it before we lost interest. I don't think any of us actually ever won battle mode when the other person wasn't afk or not paying attention.

Our group much preferred race mode and though it should be above battle on the menu Grin.

That said, we felt racing could be made more interesting somehow. Maybe some way for the person behind to catch up. Our ideas naturally gravitated to existing solutions like the item system like Mario Kart, but we all agreed some other unique thing would be better. (Unfortunately none of us really had any ideas for what).

Also, we played the whole time without knowing there was a boost button!

Very neat visual effects. The pixelation must be some kind of pixel shader? (Kind of a pun in this case). Also known as a post-processing shader? It turned out well, I think.

Thanks for making the game!
santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 10:35:37 AM »

A very neat game and one of the few (only?) racing games in the compo.

Our group couldn't really get the hang of battle. We liked the controls system but couldn't get used to it before we lost interest. I don't think any of us actually ever won battle mode when the other person wasn't afk or not paying attention.

Our group much preferred race mode and though it should be above battle on the menu Grin.

That said, we felt racing could be made more interesting somehow. Maybe some way for the person behind to catch up. Our ideas naturally gravitated to existing solutions like the item system like Mario Kart, but we all agreed some other unique thing would be better. (Unfortunately none of us really had any ideas for what).

Also, we played the whole time without knowing there was a boost button!

Very neat visual effects. The pixelation must be some kind of pixel shader? (Kind of a pun in this case). Also known as a post-processing shader? It turned out well, I think.

Thanks for making the game!

thank you for playing! The effect is actually a render to a low res dynamic texture that is then seen by another (hi res) 3d camera: the result is basically a low res render of the game (256x128 if I'm not mistaken)

Thank you for the suggestions: it's true it's very hard to win a match if the two players have the same skill/experience. it should be easier to make mistakes I guess.

We're totally looking into adding features to the racing mode if we get back to this! I agree that powerups & energy lanes are too cliché

@theon: I'm sure you can easily learn how to use unity as a level editor, you should give it a try.

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 12:19:25 PM »

I really liked the visuals and art in this one.

I thought the racing mode was way more playable than the arena mode and a longer version of the race mode with more maps (or more players) sounds intriguing.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 04:38:07 AM »

I really liked the visuals and art in this one.

I thought the racing mode was way more playable than the arena mode and a longer version of the race mode with more maps (or more players) sounds intriguing.

Would love to build on it: it would be cool to have a track & glider editor, if anyone wants to join us please send a pm!

santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 05:46:50 AM »

ALIANTE is now part of the IGF Pirate Kart (www.piratekart.com) yay!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic